~*~* July Sunbeams *~*~43 Babies Here So Far!!! 25 Boys / 18 Girls

Glad Gabe doesn't have a total allergy! I would hate to give up milk.

I am also thinking of switching to cloth diapers - A friend of a friend gave me what appears to the full kit with a huge bag of them and all the bits to go with them. I am thinking of giving them a go but think it will need to wait till the builders are gone and I have free run of the house again. Not sure its practical when I cant always get to the washing machine.

thst's fab you've figured out what makes gabe puke!

missb, def need your house bk i'd imagine to cloth if u might lose access to washing machine, i'd imagine that's hard just with normal laundry?

apart from landscape gardener we've had a break from workmen in the house since edwrds arrival, that ends fri, carpet and floor fitters measuring up then sat we've a kitchen survey with a view to getting that done in the new year, eek!

I've actually managed to have a productive morning! got loads cleaning done, yay! xx

So last night I wrote up a HUGE post RE:cloth diapering and lost it. Let's try this again. Be patient as my keyboard is being annoying and French.

What I use is (OS)one size fits all (or also called birth to potty-BTP) pocket diapers. But there are a ton of different types, but I only know about pockets, so that is what I will tell you about!

What they are and how they work:

You will get a diaper which is made up of 3 components- Exterior shell, the interior wicking surface and an insert.

The exterior of the diaper will look like regular fabric, but the back side is laminated with a plastic so that it is waterproof. This is called PUL and it is what stops the waste from leaking through the diaper and onto clothes, people or surfaces. On the front face of the PUL, and on the wings of the diaper there will be a series of snaps. One set of snaps will allow to to control the waist size of the diaper, the other snaps (on the front of the diaper below the wings and waist) will allow you to control the rise- so making the body of the diaper longer or shorter depending on how big or tall baby is.

The interior of the diaper, or the part that will touch baby's bum, is usually a fleece or a dry cloth. The purpose of this fabric is to draw away moisture from against baby. When baby pees or poops, the interior layer will act as a wick, drawing the waste through it and into the insert below it. The cloth should feel dry or almost dry after it does this. The cloth does not hold any pee, it just draws it away.

The insert is a long strip of multi layered fabric, usually microfiber or bamboo, sometimes flannel or other highly absorbent fibers. On the back inside of the diaper there should be a slit or flap, which allows you to stuff the insert between the PUL exterior and the wicking interior. This is where the waste(pee and poo) are stored until changing.

How you use them:

You stuff the inside pocket with an insert or two(depending on how long you want the diaper to last, if it is nighttime or if baby is a heavy wetter). Then you snap the diaper on baby, making sure to adjust the snaps for the right fit for your child. OS pockets generally say they will fit from 8lbs, but if your baby is long and thin or small and chunky, they may fit at different points. Most people find they fit a little after 8lbs. Mine fit my son at around 9lbs. You want to make sure the leg elastics touch baby's thigh the whole way around. When baby wets the diaper, just unsnap and remove the inserts from inside the diaper. Place both the diaper and the insert into a dry pail or a wet bag. A wet bag is simply a laundry bag made out of PUL. You can also get small wet bags to fit into your diaper bag so you can cloth diaper when out and about. If baby has solid waste knock it into the toilet. Breast milk poo is water soluble and does not need to be rinsed off. Wash the diapers every few days.

How to wash them:

Lots of different opinions here! Generally speaking you can just throw them into the washer and add a bit of cloth diaper safe detergent. There are a ton of options, I recommend researching what is right for you. You also want to use much less than you normally would. It seems counter intuitive to use less detergent on something like a diaper, but the theory is that build up of soap on the fabric actually causes pee to repel off of the diaper instead of absorbing, and the excess build up of soap can also cause smelliness. So use about one quarter of what you usually would, less in a HE machine, just see what works and adjust from there. Never add fabric softener. You are also going to want a lot of water in the wash, and usually wash no more than a couple dozen diapers in one go-that way there is adequate space for the diapers to agitate and come clean. Most people go with a wash sequence of a cold soak, a hot rinse and a cold rinse, but do what is working for you. When they are done washing, place them to air dry, or in the dryer on low heat. High heat could cause the PUL to melt. Never add dyer sheets. The first time you use the diapers, before placing them on your child, you are going to want to run them through a few (2-5)washes. This preps the diapers and makes them absorbent.

How many:

This sort of depends on how often you want to wash. I'd shoot for doing a load every two to three days. During the day, you are going to want to do a change about every 2 hours or so, again depending on how often your child wets their diaper and how heavily. My son is a heavy wetter so I change him every 2 hours, maybe 3 if he is napping.I would aim for 8-12 diapers per day. Probably closer to 10-12 just to be safe. So if you want to do laundry every 2-3 days, you will want between 20-36 diapers. Some people could get away with a stash of 16 for 2 days, but most would want at least 20. They do not have to be extremely expensive diapers either. Kawaii and Alva for example are more affordable and very good options to start your cloth diaper stash.

The natural parenting board is a great resource for finding out information, and the internet is full of great information too. This is a very basic run down and many people know WAY more than me. Hope this helped though!

We had zack weighed by midwife Tuesday at 10 days old. His weight gain is 1 lb and 2 oz :) he is now 9lb 2oz was very pleased with this.

I have been having a bit of a panic cause I have every morning I make up his bottles, I don't add the formula I just add the water, store the correct powder amount in the containers that came with my tomee tippee steriliser pack. I then add the powder to thus water as and when needed. I read the nhs website yesterday and they say to make up the bottles as and when needed. How can I do this in the night? Due to the caeseran I am not allowed to carry him up and down stairs.

When I was in the hospital he has ready made bottles which were cold, am I risking his health by not making up the bottles as and when needed? I will talk to midwife when she comes here this Tuesday.

What do the rest of you do?

I panicked about making up bottles as well, but after talkin to my mum and health visitor I make up the bottles, powder and water and store in the fridge to heat up when needed. I only make enough for the day and then the night so there is only 4 made at a time. My hv said that even thou that is not the done thing any more it never did her children any harm and as long as I keep them in the fridge then it's fine. Charlie has had no problems from it and he is now 5 weeks. As my mum likes to tell me, my brother and I are still alive and kicking and that's how she did bottles.

Thanks for your replies, I am glad I am not doing anything seriously bad. should I store the bottles in the fridge then rather room temp? Are you using a bottle warmer to heat them up?

Thanks for your replies, I am glad I am not doing anything seriously bad. should I store the bottles in the fridge then rather room temp? Are you using a bottle warmer to heat them up?

My hv told me if I was gona make them in advanced then to store them in the fridge, yeah I use a bottle warmer at home or if I'm out I have a flask of boiling water to heat it.

I don't heat bottles... I am so "naughty" I wash and sterilise bottles, put cooled boiled water in them (leave on the side...pre made bottles need to be put at the back of the fridge and used with in 24 hours), add powder as need and then feed him. I used to do the same but heat them in a bottle warmer with Oliver.

My HV asked how I made them I told her she went... you have one child who is fine I will leave you to it :rofl:

Ahh so I do nearly the same as you pink flowers, except I put boiling water in the bottles then leave on the side with lids on.

Glad I am not doing anything really bad.

I like my method, it makes things loads easier. No way I could make up a fresh bottle every time.

Nice to know of the option of also making up the bottles and storing in the fridge as well :D

Thanks for you input :) put my mind at ease. The reason I got worried is cause his poo was a bit mucusy earlier and it stressed me out that it was the way I was feeding him

The sudden change in the weather might be making his poo like that. Henry has a bit of a stuffy nose. I remember Oliver got one quite soon after being born as well.

They say if their poos are yellow and soft its fine. I have only been told to worry if the colour changes or there is blood in them x

ETA - I would put hot water in my bottles but the way they are made they will leak :haha:

Has anyone else gotten af already? I thought breastfeeding would keep her at bay for awhile, though I have been supplementing occasionally - she showed up yesterday and my daughter isn't even 7 wks yet!

Mine showed at 5 weeks pp with my first. I didnt supplement at all.

abagail I thought it;d got me yesterday (3 pads in one day), however today no blood...hopefully its not AF and just random late pp bleeding! xx

I started af yesterday. 8wks pp today. First time I've had a period while ebf.

babe doesn't comfort nurse as much as my boys,did, only doesn't nurse at night much at all so im not super surprised af came but am,pretty disappointed!

With bottles If im making 5 ozs i put in 1.5 oz of boiling water, add the 5 scoops, shake and then 3.5oz of cooled bodied water. This makes it a nice temperature and it's instant.
I always thought you had to sterilise the powder with boiled water to kill of nasties! But I don't know :shrug:

You should do Kath but formula has never been sterile and people have always made it with cold water or in advance lol

Formula must be made differently in different countries or something cause mine doesn't say anywhere on it that it has to be made with boiled water :shrug:

I was always told if a baby will take a cool bottle then dont stress making them hot bc it is just an extra step but it makes sense to make thwm hot (breast milk is hot lol)

I'm in the u.s. and we make cold bottle or warm tap water ..I was told not to boil the water because it kills the fluoride in the water that babies need..things are different everywhere though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->