June Jitterbugs- 2013, 51 babies born 27 boys, 24 girls (145 on the Way)

A babies first instinct upon birth is to cry......if a baby does that while being born under water they will aspirate (inhale the water into their lungs). I have seen babies admitted for pneumonia....and I have seen babies die from this. I have seen babies adnitted from home that were nuchal cords (where the cord wraps around the babies neck), meconium aspirations, babies that got stuck and mothers had to come in for crash c/s (where babies dont survive). 90% of home births(and hospital births) will go just fine 10% wont. Doing my line of work my babies will be born in the best hospital with the best NICU because to me the ultimate goal of delivery is getting mg babies into this world safely whatever means necessary. You can have a "natural" birth in a hospital where just in case something does go wrong their is proper care for you and your baby.

I thought a baby's natural instinct was to hold its breath underwater?

I think its one of those things.... Yes there are horror stories but as you say 90% are fine.
I will always opt for hospital because of previous experience (DS was distressed and there was a bit of a panic about him getting stuck- hence the episiotomy)... But a friend of mine had a home birth and she said it was the best thing ever and she'd never do it any other way.
I think if you're sensible and discuss the risks and benefits with your midwife you'll be able to make the right choice.

A babies first instinct upon birth is to cry......if a baby does that while being born under water they will aspirate (inhale the water into their lungs). I have seen babies admitted for pneumonia....and I have seen babies die from this. I have seen babies adnitted from home that were nuchal cords (where the cord wraps around the babies neck), meconium aspirations, babies that got stuck and mothers had to come in for crash c/s (where babies dont survive). 90% of home births(and hospital births) will go just fine 10% wont. Doing my line of work my babies will be born in the best hospital with the best NICU because to me the ultimate goal of delivery is getting mg babies into this world safely whatever means necessary. You can have a "natural" birth in a hospital where just in case something does go wrong their is proper care for you and your baby.

Upon birth a babies instinct is to cry so that the alveoli in their lungs can 'pop' open and they can then begin air exchange breathe.

I think its one of those things.... Yes there are horror stories but as you say 90% are fine.
I will always opt for hospital because of previous experience (DS was distressed and there was a bit of a panic about him getting stuck- hence the episiotomy)... But a friend of mine had a home birth and she said it was the best thing ever and she'd never do it any other way.
I think if you're sensible and discuss the risks and benefits with your midwife you'll be able to make the right choice.

I agree you should be informed. My aunt is a CNM ( certified nurse midwife) and owned get own birthing center so I am well aware of both spectrums. Its a personal choice for me, I could never live with myself if something went wrong so I prefer to be in a hospital and my profession makes it an easy choice. To me the birthing experience isn't what I want....Its what brings my babies into the world safely and without complication.....to each their own

Steph I'm so jealous of that birthing centre just opened up near you. Sounds ideal to me. I have an American friend who used birthing centre midwives for a homebirth and she was saying that as a birthing centre patient had she needed a transfer to hospital it would have been a lot cheaper than going to hospital first. She didn't have insurance either. A natural birth is totally doable as a first timer, absolutely. Especially in a setting where you have people supporting your intentions of one and not pushing an induction or an epidural. Plus birthing centres don't have NO pain relief, just not epis and c-sections.
I was induced but had no pain relief, not even gas or tylenol. Do lots of research and trust your body.

I'm hoping for a water birth this time around. My hospital didn't allow them last time but they were changing g policy. Plus if they still aren't "allowed" every room has a pool to labour in and I've heard of several ladies who have had water births anyway cause they're not allowed to physically remove you to push if you can't/won't get out. They look so peaceful and relaxing and water is good pain relief. I only labored in water for an hour though cause I had back labour and just couldn't get comfortable.

I've always been interested in midwives / water births, ever since I was in my early teens and wanted to become a labor and delivery nurse (later changed my mind, as nursing overall isn't for me, still considered midwifery though!). So when I found this place and at just the right moment, I realized it was perfect!

I've honestly never even heard of gas during labor, I wonder if it's not so common in the states?

Anyone see the new Twilight movie?? DH and I got a sitter and are going to a matinee today- He read all the books (he loves to read!) and I personally just like the drama! lol- I feel like a 16 year old when we go because of all the tweens!

Thanks all for the thoughts, the aim for sure is to have a safe delivery....think will go for hospital delivery, private care option where they dedicate resources purposely for you. Thanks all.

Not seen twilight yet - very excited though. Gonna go in a few weeks with mother in law so we can avoid the mad rush! I loved the stories, actually want to read breaking dawn again just to remind myself and watched part 1 the other night and got all excited!! x

Glad that some people are starting to feel a little bit better now. This week I have felt a little better too, or I'm just ignoring it more lol. Hoping it's going to soon though as I would love to enjoy all food and cooking again, I miss my kitchen!

Anyone else getting stupidly excited for christmas yet? I am!! Being a teacher we have started learning the songs for our christmas show and it's making me feel very festive!!

This is why the birthing pool should be maintained at body temperature. The cooler air is what stimulates the baby to take that first big breath.

I love all this info people put on. Its all stuff I probably wouldn't have thought of at all!

How is everyone feeling today??

x

OMG I'm 11 weeks today. Have dating scan tomorrow and we're making our big announcement to my parents and my sister then to the inlaws on Tuesday as it's MIL birthday, so we got her a Gran card from the baby, she has no idea!!
When i first found out i was pregnant time was going soooo slow, but now its flying I cant believe i'm actually at that time where we're about to announce. I'm praying all is well tomorrow, I keep having waves of nervousness where I think the worst but then mild nausea kicks in or something pokes my boob to remind me that my hormones are still making a baby!!
Hope all its still well with you ladies, keep the posts comin, have loved hearing everyone's symptoms through the first tri and look forward to seeing bump progression pics as we enter the second tri (can you believe we're nearly there?)

OMG I'm 11 weeks today. Have dating scan tomorrow and we're making our big announcement to my parents and my sister then to the inlaws on Tuesday as it's MIL birthday, so we got her a Gran card from the baby, she has no idea!!
When i first found out i was pregnant time was going soooo slow, but now its flying I cant believe i'm actually at that time where we're about to announce. I'm praying all is well tomorrow, I keep having waves of nervousness where I think the worst but then mild nausea kicks in or something pokes my boob to remind me that my hormones are still making a baby!!
Hope all its still well with you ladies, keep the posts comin, have loved hearing everyone's symptoms through the first tri and look forward to seeing bump progression pics as we enter the second tri (can you believe we're nearly there?)

Hope the scan goes well! :flower: Im nervous too, keep fretting about stupid things, like thought my nausea had gone, then felt like I was gonna hurl when I got back from shopping yesterday as I hadnt eaten since lunch :blush: I keep focusing on my symptoms and relax a bit more. I have to wait til Im over 13 weeks for my scan, too long to wait!! And the bump is starting to get too big to hide soon, had to stock up on Primark baggy jumpers yesterday to hide it :haha:

I have my scan in the ,morning too. Keep! I'm excited nut so nervous too. I remember with DD having nightmares before the 12 week scan that either it would be a mmc or they'd tell me I was crazy and not actually pregnant. A great scan and a healthy DD has done nothing to alleviate my fears this time around apparently. I've never even suffered a loss (except a couple suspected early mcs. Can't even call them chemicals as I never tested). I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just apprehensive cause dh isn't coming so if there was bad news mom would know first.

Good luck for those with scans in the morning, how exciting :D!!

X

Aw... I wish mine was in the morning. I have to work till 14.45 then scan is at 15.45. Think it'll be a long morning in work!!! Good luck to everyone else, look forward to comparig notes and sizes of baby's etc!!!! Sleepless night tonight i think!

Good luck to those with scans tomorrow. I look forward to the updates.

Good luck to those with scans tomorrow and this week! I had one on Friday and it was amazing! :)

Happy 10 weeks due date buddies!

Good luck everyone with scans! I think those due at the beginning of the month should be progressing to second tri this week so big congratulations x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->