June Jitterbugs- 2013, 51 babies born 27 boys, 24 girls (145 on the Way)

So I was searching for hospital alternatives because I was told by one OB office that the hospital I was looking into would be about $15,000. NUTS! So I started looking into midwives, etc., and found what is to be the first birthing center in a 250 mile radius, it opens this month, and it's about 10 minutes from where we're moving. I see that as a sign.

And a bonus - if you prepay, you get 50% off, since the facility is new, and we took a loan and have the money up front. So yay for huge savings! Just waiting to hear back from them...

Stef: First, I think it is totally possible to have a natural birth with your first. My mom did and so did my SIL (as well as others I know). Second, that $15,000 probably assumes that you do have insurance. Most doctors and hospitals will take way less than that if you tell them your situation (there may also be programs for women without insurance that would help out too). The prices are highly inflated due to insurance. Even insurance doesn't pay what the doctors and hospital bill. For example, I got a statement from my insurance just yesterday stating that they had been charged $775 for all my blood work and that they paid $204 and I owe nothing on top of that. So that is like 70% off of the quoted prices. I'm just mentioning this so that whatever happens you know that everything is negotiable.

I'm into my 9th week, and we have to decide what kind of testing to do. We can do the NT scan in week 11, with bloodwork, or do a CVS in week 12. Or even do both. From everything that I have read, the NT scan is only a screening, and does not give you conclusive information about the genetic makeup of the baby (just your chances of some of the major issues, like DS, etc.) A CSV, on the other hand, takes the actual sample of the placenta, which has the same genetic make-up as the baby, and gives you much more conclusive results. Due to my age (37), we will be doing all the testing that we can, to be as informed as possible. From what I've read, you can choose to do both tests, but it's probably redundant. Most people who opt for a CVS, will skip the NT scan, since it gives you almost all of the same information, but much more conclusively (for a lot of people, a CVS is what they will do when their NT scan results come back with bad numbers). What do you gals know about this?

I think over here the blood test and NT scan is recommended first, because the CVS is a bit more obtrusive. I guess the question for each person is would you do anything different if you were found to be high risk? I personally wouldn't I don't think, so I wouldn't have a CVS. However, if someone really wants exact results, then the CVS gives a very accurate result if I understand correctly. I would go for the NT scan/blood first though because if it shows someone is low risk, then they could be spared the CVS which is a needle being inserted through the uterus into the placenta. Just the thought of it scares me!! xxxx

I just heard today that our hospital finish all renovations for the Labor and Mother & Baby part of the hospital. Both areas, you have your own bathroom and tub in your private room! Woohoo! I'm super excited, I can't wait to go and see what it looks like. I think privacy is a big thing.

I just heard today that our hospital finish all renovations for the Labor and Mother & Baby part of the hospital. Both areas, you have your own bathroom and tub in your private room! Woohoo! I'm super excited, I can't wait to go and see what it looks like. I think privacy is a big thing.

Sounds awesome!! I haven't been to our local hospital, but apparently we get a private room for the labour, but then a shared room once the birth is over. Yours sounds nicer :)

I just heard my baby's heartbeat on my midwife's Doppler!!! :cloud9: It was the most beautiful sound in the world :happydance:

Morning all!! I have my dating scan on Monday which will make me 11+1. Even though I've already had a scan which chowed a heart beat at 7+2, all of a sudden I've started feeling so scared about a MMC. I've just googled it and got a little reassurance that a MMC generally happens when the embryo doesnt develop after conception. Are any of you who have had a miscarriage in the past thinking and worrying the same as me?
I'm normally so laid back, not much worries me and i'm a firm believer in 'what will be will be' but my goodness, i feel like i've developed a new personality and cant stop worrying about my little Jitterbug!

Yes. I had a mmc. We thought I was 14 weeks at my scan but it showed the baby had stopped developing at 7 weeks :(
I won't get that thought out of my head this time until I have my 12 week scan next week. It's only natural to worry about these things. Just try to relax and not stress about it. Easier said than done tho!
Your right, what will be will be x

Yep I'm the exact same. Had an early miscarriage last year so very cautious this tim
e around. We had a scan last week and felt very reassured
after it however my anxiety
has been slowly creeping back up this week especially since i have hardly any symptoms.Have my first Nhs
scan on 29th nov :) I imagine it's normal to be apprehensive at this point and we shouldn't give ourselves a hard time. Praying for you all xxx

Has anyone else noticed their boobs getting bigger, but unevenly?

I always had one bigger than the other, like most females, but it wasn't ever extreme or anything. But when I looked in the mirror today I noticed that one is getting quite a bit bigger compared to the other one. Anyone know if this is normal and if they will go back to normal? :wacko:

So I was searching for hospital alternatives because I was told by one OB office that the hospital I was looking into would be about $15,000. NUTS! So I started looking into midwives, etc., and found what is to be the first birthing center in a 250 mile radius, it opens this month, and it's about 10 minutes from where we're moving. I see that as a sign.

And a bonus - if you prepay, you get 50% off, since the facility is new, and we took a loan and have the money up front. So yay for huge savings! Just waiting to hear back from them...

Stef: First, I think it is totally possible to have a natural birth with your first. My mom did and so did my SIL (as well as others I know). Second, that $15,000 probably assumes that you do have insurance. Most doctors and hospitals will take way less than that if you tell them your situation (there may also be programs for women without insurance that would help out too). The prices are highly inflated due to insurance. Even insurance doesn't pay what the doctors and hospital bill. For example, I got a statement from my insurance just yesterday stating that they had been charged $775 for all my blood work and that they paid $204 and I owe nothing on top of that. So that is like 70% off of the quoted prices. I'm just mentioning this so that whatever happens you know that everything is negotiable.

You're probably right about 15,000 assuming insurance, everyone I have called offers significant discounts for self-pay patients over what they charge insurance. When we had the mc in August, our ER bills totaled 1700, discounted from something like 4 or 5000 because we were self-pay.

If for any reason I needed to be transferred to a hospital, you better believe I'd be negotiating prices and payment plans! Probably while in labor :haha:

Has anyone else noticed their boobs getting bigger, but unevenly?

I always had one bigger than the other, like most females, but it wasn't ever extreme or anything. But when I looked in the mirror today I noticed that one is getting quite a bit bigger compared to the other one. Anyone know if this is normal and if they will go back to normal? :wacko:

yes weirdly enough mine stay a bit different through pregnancy and nursing- it has to do with the milk ducts (i think) and one side is much better at storing the milk- but it doesnt make too big of a difference- just means that baby gets alot of stored milk up front before working on the hindmilk- and on the other side baby has to work harder- for more hindmilk

I've always been uneven, but I do find my already bigger one grows faster. Same when I put on weight though. First place I gain after belly is my right boob. So frustrating!

You're probably right about 15,000 assuming insurance, everyone I have called offers significant discounts for self-pay patients over what they charge insurance. When we had the mc in August, our ER bills totaled 1700, discounted from something like 4 or 5000 because we were self-pay.

If for any reason I needed to be transferred to a hospital, you better believe I'd be negotiating prices and payment plans! Probably while in labor :haha:

wow sure makes me greatful for being int he UK and having the NHS, as much as we may slate the service we get at least we dont have to pay like that...I would never have been able to afford to have kids and with 2 out of my 3 being 'unplanned' I wouldnt have been prepared lol

tashalina, it's ridiculous. It seems more about the money than about the care. I was at the ER for 6 hours when I had the miscarriage, most of that time they were in their station doing nothing (we know because we kept looking out of my room into the station). I sat with a catheter in me for hours for an ultrasound that lasted a few minutes. So we received 1700 in bills for a few simple tests telling me I'd lost the baby and no evidence of concern from the nurses whatsoever.

I understand hospitals and doctors are busy and good ones are out there, but as far as medical care goes, this country is severely lacking. Focus needs to be put on patients rather than on money.

Ok, done ranting!

I had another scan today - that's my third! Baby was measuring perfectly and was moving around like crazy. My RE wanted to see me one last time before he released me to my obgyn, and he said why not do another scan as long as I was there (I just had one done last week!). He also told me about a new test, called the Maternity 21, which is non invasive, and can be done to replace the CVS, and is 98% accurate. He said it just came out last year and is a decade in the making - he highly recommended it. I will meet with my obgyn in two weeks to discuss and schedule whatever tests we decide on, but from what I'm reading about the Maternity 21 sounds pretty awesome. So glad I live in a major medical city, I guess this test is not yet offered everywhere.

Also, I can't believe there are ladies on here that haven't had a scan done yet - hang in there! It's just cruel to make people wait so long.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 9
I was thinking exactly the same tashalina. It must be awful having to think about cost before u go docs. In the uk we go for coughs and colds. Especially with little ones. We r very lucky xx

I had another scan today - that's my third! Baby was measuring perfectly and was moving around like crazy. My RE wanted to see me one last time before he released me to my obgyn, and he said why not do another scan as long as I was there (I just had one done last week!). He also told me about a new test, called the Maternity 21, which is non invasive, and can be done to replace the CVS, and is 98% accurate. He said it just came out last year and is a decade in the making - he highly recommended it. I will meet with my obgyn in two weeks to discuss and schedule whatever tests we decide on, but from what I'm reading about the Maternity 21 sounds pretty awesome. So glad I live in a major medical city, I guess this test is not yet offered everywhere.

Also, I can't believe there are ladies on here that haven't had a scan done yet - hang in there! It's just cruel to make people wait so long.
Love your scan pic! I can't wait for my next. 11 days and counting! This maternity 21 sounds interesting. I think I'll ask my doc about it when I go in for NT

I was thinking exactly the same tashalina. It must be awful having to think about cost before u go docs. In the uk we go for coughs and colds. Especially with little ones. We r very lucky xx

i agree... here in canada we can go in for anything and in ontario OHIP covers it all ... i never would have been able to afford to have my son if i had to pay ... i cant imagine what it would be like to have to pay for doctors visits ...i find myself often giving advice to the american ladies to go to emerge and forget they have to pay to go :( we ARE very lucky !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->