• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just doesn't like milk?!

susywoosy

Mum of two!
Reaction score
My DS is almost 5 months (in 12 days). We have been having huge issues with milk. We took him to DR last week after a hellish few days of refusing bottles, crying while eating or at end of a feed, runny poos etc. I moved completely over to formula at 4 months after bf.

Anyway DR assumed milk intolerance so we have DS on infasoy. He is less pained, poos r more solid but he still is only eating 18-20 oz all day but is waking for a couple of small night feeds. He's averaging 25 oz a day. He'd a big boy. Haven't had him weighed for a while but at 16 weeks he was just under 16 lbs. He's long too so is in proportion.

I'm worried he'll b putting on less weight than he was so as a last resort to get him to feed i tried some baby porridge. He loved it. As he has refused any milk from 2 pm today, i tried him with pureed apple. Loved it.

I feel guilty tho given he isnt 6 months yet but he is at least feeding when offered a little bit of actual food. We c DR again next week & i will let him know we tried porridge/pureed apple but is it possible he just isnt that keen on milk?

Has a medical professional said there is an issue with his weight?

Personally unless your Dr recommends early weaning I would stick with the milk it's much more nutritious.

I understand that and would prefer he was only on milk. Its just so frustrating when u know he's hungry but refusing bottles. I've tried a syringe and a spoon to feed. I even tried a sippy cup on recommendation from HV. He just doesn't want to feed. Sometimes after a struggle, he'll settle in to a feed when he is obviously starving but it is just so exhausting and worrying.

I don't intend to keep up with solids, it was just something i tried out of desperation & he didnt put up a fight the way he does with milk. Milk might b more nutritious but he isn't taking enough of it. I will ask that he is weighed at nxt app x

My health visitor recommended weaning my little girl (not quite 5 months old) due to her not liking/eating milk. She's never been keen and only really feeds well at night when sleepy. Her weight is fine but she still recommended it cos she could tell what a struggle it was for me to get her drinking enough each day. I took her advice and I tried her with food but she didn't like that either so I decided not to bother and wait til 6 months. If your little boy likes it and eats well though I'd go with it. I weaned my eldest at 4 months and it went well :)

Thanks bunnikins. That sounds like my son. Feeds better at night when sleepy. We do a dream feed at 11 and feel the night time feeds r easier. Through the day is just so hard. My DD was never like this. She lived milk, still does. I'll speak to DR and HV & c what they suggest x

Can I ask how he behaves during and after feeds? Does he arch his back, scream, kick, flail? How is he with being laid flat? I'm wondering if he has silent reflux as my son refused bottles when his was bad and it felt like every bottle was a battle.

That will b the nxt step the DR takes. He's currently on infasoy for what dr thinks is a milk intolerance. We r back nxt week to c how that has gone and if no better, we will look at possible silent reflux. The difficulty is that the infasoy has made him really constipated (not the solids) as he was constipated before i even tried porridge etc. He is displaying some of the symptoms of silent reflux but has been sleeping ok at night, flat, and there hadnt been an issue yet.

Its all so worrisome & exhausting. He cries a lot. He has taken 11 oz again all day. We will persist with the comfort milk for time being as infasoy is not agreeing with him. :cry:

Is this something that's just come on in the past couple weeks or has it always been like this? To be honest, what you are describing is exactly what teething was like for us - about 3 weeks of refusing feeds, seeming really uncomfortable, horrible acidic poos and nappy rash, then 2 teeth popped through and all was fine again. If he's been like this all along, then it's unlikely, but if it's a new thing, it might be worth considering teething and not anything to do with what he's eating. However, generally, I'd say if he's hungry, he'll take the milk (assuming all else is well and he's healthy). He wouldn't just not drink it because he didn't like it. It could be that's all he needs. Sometimes they do go through these phases and you just have to ride them out. Definitely have things checked out to make sure there isn't something more serious going on, but also don't stress out too much if there doesn't seem to be an answer. Things may very well settle down again soon.

Teething unsettled him but his two bottom teeth r in and it has continued. Anyway, HV came to c us & said he should never have been put on infasoy. Its full of female hormones and is not recommended now for babies with a milk intolerance. He has been put on comfort milk now and its like night and day. He's gone from refusing bottles and us trying hard to get 20 oz into him (including night feeds) to downing feeds and looking for more. He's back up to recommended in take and no more constipation either.

Feeding has always been an issue. Even when he was feeding 'well' from me, it was small feeds every hour or two. He must have been hungry so fed but the milk intolerance meant even my milk would upset him.

When we moved on to formula at 4 months, the problems really began and the milk intolerance came to light as he was so pained and taking so little in way of food. Infasoy was a nightmare & had him so constipated, he was still refusing feeds. It easy to c now why i was thinking he just didnt like milk.

He's now on comfort milk, eating like a champ (35ish oz a day) & i'm not having to give any solids as he is getting everything he needs from milk. I'm just so happy at the change in him since introducing comfort milk on Friday.

Thanks for all your replies/suggestions. We finally git there and have a happy boy :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->