Just got my home birth item list Really hoping everything falls into place :)

spinneybaby

Reaction score
I didn't think this would make me excited! but I am really excited to get everything ready for a home birth. A lot of factors have to fall into place for me to have my home birth but I am pretty determined! My Husband might even say stubborn :haha:

You see, where we live, it's law that either 2 midwives or a midwife and a 2nd attendant must be present during a homebirth. Midwives are government funded and we only have 2 in this area. One happens to be on vacation the whole month of August which is when I am due. Despite numerous pleas from the midwives and the community, the government declined funding for a third midwife even though it's getting incredibly popular and in high demand...these two ladies are worked off their feet but are absolutely amazing and provide amazing care which I didn't experience in my last birth with the OB! So, they did however approve funding for a 2nd attendant program for when one of the midwives is not available so ladies can still have a homebirth...but, they are taking FOREVER to put the program in place and hire someone despite interest from numerous qualified people. ie. doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists.

Since I'm Stubborn, I'm not relying on the government to dictate whether I get my homebirth or not so...there is an OB that I know personally and he has an interest in homebirth and "normal, natural" birthing and is obviously fully qualified since he delivers babies all the time so I have asked him to be my 2nd attendant. He wouldn't get paid and it would have to be a day that he's not on call (I have his august schedule and know which days to bounce on my yoga ball and eat curry) :haha: So I am hopeful that it happens because he said he would be honoured :happydance: . There's also a respiratory therapist that is extremely interested in becomming a 2nd attendant and my midwife is going to ask her if the program isn't in place when I give birth, if she would be interested in coming on her own time if she is available just to get some experience if the OB happens to be on call. So I truly am a BNB Homebirth Hopeful...and the only thing that seems to be standing in my way is the Government! BLAH! :growlmad:

Good luck with arranging your 2nd attendants it sou ds like you have your bases covered! Xx
Oh looks like we have the same due date!

Yay for August 14th! How are you feeling?? I am feeling a bit sleepy and the other day it was 35 C plus humidity so I got very swollen which I didn't experience with DS as he was a winter baby. but other than that, I feel great!

Yeah! Im feeling good too, but yes sleepy, and not getting great nights due to needing to pee an d it being hot. My feet have been swelling too, and i was getting lots of reflux last week, its better this week though. Sometimes i forget im pregnant and go to bend over or run up stairs and find huge bump in the way!

Lots of love and positive homebirth vibes to you!

Well done you :) I hope you get what you want and baby cooperates and comes on the right day hehe x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->