Just thinking...

flippityflop

Reaction score
....I got a text today from a friend who is due 2 weeks before me. She said her baby is breech and so she is now booked in for a c-section 6 days before her due date.

The thing I'm thinking about is how many threads on here are about trying to naturally induce labour and the comments are always "baby will come when he is ready", which is true. So how come c-sections get scheduled before the due date? How do they know baby is going be ready? It's the same with elective c-sections. Ladies book them in, obviously the Drs allow it, so where is the argument that baby will come when he is ready in that situation?

Simply just curious, not slating those who have c-sections!

I guess they don't want to panic and need to do a emergency csection as they cost more money so they don't want to leave it too late as the risks of going into labour naturally obviously go up the closer you get to 40 weeks and beyond.

its because a planned c-section is safer as labour has not started. once labour starts the section can become more strefful for mum and baby and there are obviously more time constraints making the surgery itself riskier plus means more likely to need a general anaesthetic which is riskier. in the uk an elective will not be done before 38 weeks (usually 39) unless there is a medical reason to have to do it earlier so baby is already full term. same thing with inductions 12 days past due date - when baby's ready argument is simply not safest thing in that circumstance xxx

I guess they don't want to panic and need to do a emergency csection as they cost more money so they don't want to leave it too late as the risks of going into labour naturally obviously go up the closer you get to 40 weeks and beyond.

and unfortunately i can imagine this is very true - its far more expensive for an emergency c-section especially if its at night or weekend so they'll prefer having them scheduled xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"