Just wanted to get some opinions - diapers in communal washers...

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
We really want to use cloth diapers, but we live in an apartment complex with communal washing machines and dryers...

Do you think it's a bit unsanitary to wash dirty nappies in a communal washer? I mean, I thought it shouldn't be TOO bad because it's just a bit of poo and wee and it should all get washed away anyway, but...What do you think?

Also in terms of washing products and dryer sheets etc - I know you're meant to use mild washing powder/liquid and not meant to use dryer sheets because it effects the absorbency, would residual amounts of stuff from other people's washing make a difference do you think? Like if someone used dryer sheets before I put our nappies in the dryer, could it still effect absorbency?

AND another thing, I know people say to do different types of washes - so cold rinse, then really hot?? Something like that... Well our washer just has settings for lights, darks and colours I think and you can do an extra long cycle for 25cents more or something... It's pretty basic. And I don't know if we can open the dryer early if things are getting over-dried...:shrug: I'm just worried we're not going to be able to cloth diaper because of something stupid like this, what do you think?

xx

P.S Just about to look and see if we have any diaper washing services around here, but I'd rather avoid that if possible because of the extra cost. :shrug:

First of all, congrats on your BFP!!!

I don't think its bad to wash nappies in communal washers at all! Just think of what else could go in a washer...a bit of baby poo is nothing!!! Anyway, you will have probably rinsed most of it out at home before you put them in the wash!

As for residues etc - I use my washer at home for things other than nappies and use fabric softener with them etc...don't see that it should be a problem with communal ones either! I reckon an extra long wash cycle would be fine for washing. As for the tumble drying, could you not air dry them around your apartment? I don't have a drier and manage pretty well! Have you got a boiler cupboard or something like that? Maybe dry them outside/over balcony etc in the summer and on the heaters in the winter?? If you choose the right nappy, they would probably dry overnight, or at least in 24 hours just in the open air inside!

Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you!! :)

That's really helpful, it would be lovely to have our own washer, but we don't even have the option for it here as there are no outlets...!! :grr:

We don't have any heaters/radiators, we've got the central heating, so I suppose maybe getting a clothes airer and sitting it in the living room might work!! I've heard bamboo nappies dry quicker? That's mostly what we'd be intending to use.

I'd almost lost hope thinking again about all the little 'issues' but you've made it sound much more feasible! Thank you! :D:hugs:

xx

Bamboo nappies would be better off being tumble dried, they take a long time to air dry and get a bit hard - tumbling makes them softer. I think it's fine to use communal washers. :)

Oh, and congrats!! xx

I think bamboo takes longer to dry actually, because it is so absorbant - thats what makes it a great material for night time use. I'd recommend pocket nappies for drying indoors because you can split them into the outer 'shell' of the nappy and the inner 'soaker' part. :thumbup:

Thanks Kirsten!! :D

Really? Wow okay, I think my brain is probably getting muddled then! :lol: Been happening a lot recently!! :rofl:

I'll have a look into some pocket nappies then, I might go and play with the dryer later too see what all the options actually are! Some things end up still being damp, while others are crisp to the touch, so it may well be okay...I just don't want to wreck my nappies before we've even got a chance to properly use them!!

Do you have a specific brand you'd recommend?

xx

Also, I tumble dry all my nappies, I use BG AIOs (organic cotton) and Pop Ins (bamboo). I dry them together, and they take over an hour. I would recommend you get a good stash so you only have to wash every few days (communal washers are quite big aren't they?) then wash all together and dry altogether, so you have a full load. I don't think you would have to stop the dryer to get them out early. My BGs actually recommend that they are tumble dried. :)

Also, I tumble dry all my nappies, I use BG AIOs (organic cotton) and Pop Ins (bamboo). I dry them together, and they take over an hour. I would recommend you get a good stash so you only have to wash every few days (communal washers are quite big aren't they?) then wash all together and dry altogether, so you have a full load. I don't think you would have to stop the dryer to get them out early. My BGs actually recommend that they are tumble dried. :)

I just bought some BG Organic AIOs and Blueberry Pockets from Jacqui, that's good to know! Our dryer runs for about an hour I think, so it could well be perfect! If they're still a bit damp when they come out I could always air them until they're completely dry.

Yeah, the washer and dryer are huge, I could live inside one of them quite comfortably! :lol:

How many nappies would you recommend buying to start out with?

Thank you, I realllllllllly appreciate your help!! :flower:

xx

Well, for a newborn I think you need 10+ nappies a day, and a few for overnight. (can't really remember lol!) It's best to have more than you need though really! You get through a lot less as they get older though, I use about 6 nappies during the day and one at night now.

Cool! Thank you :)

I'm already getting excited about making a good collection!! :happydance::lol:

xx

Wow, why does it keep making me double post? =/

Pocket diapers are the best hun. They are the easiest to dry and wash IMO. I havent have any probs with any of the pockets drying.

I wash with hot water only and trust me, I do not get all technical ha ha.... I rinse the poopy diapers first, but other then that I throw them in the washer and they go in with everything else.

I agree pockets are great and dry fast! The only exception I have to that are Bumgenius organic aio...because of how they are sewn they dry really fast too and are so trim I LOVE them...the only aio I like. Then my fitteds....love those too and most don't take too long to dry

Thanks!! I've mainly been looking at AIOs because they look easier, but I'll definitely look into pockets now... Are they different from AIOs in any other way apart from the pocket design?

Have any of you tried nappy liners? Are they any good?

Thank you again!! :flower:

xxx

No they are pretty much the same thing...like they have the built in outer part that will make it waterproof. They all vary by brand of course, like as far as materials, what type of inserts. That's the only diff really...some brands you have to buy the inserts, some come with...AIO will be included since they are sewn in. But being able to remove them, or if they are sewn on the outside, like against the baby vs behind a piece of material making it inside the diaper (does that make sense, if not I can show pics lol)...but being able to take out that absorbent part makes it dry much quicker

Yeah the only AIO I have tried are the BGs, but I have tried many pockets and not got on with them so well. I have never had a leak in any of my BGs (of course, this depends on the shape of your baby) and they fit so much better under clothes than other nappies I have tried.

I also just shove them in the washer, I don't do any special washes, just make sure I use half the amount of detergent. I wash with clothes, bedding, allsorts.

I use fleece liners (these ones https://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/Washable-Fleecy-Liners ) So that the poo never comes into contact with the nappy anyway. Also the BG AIO Organics are cotton, so the fleece stops her bottom feeling wet. I did use biodegradable flushable liners for a while, but they scrunched up and it was pointless. The fleece liners are waaay better.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->