Just when I thought we had settled, family shot it down :(

steph.

Two little girls!
Reaction score
So I thought we had finally settled on Sienna Hope but when I told my family the full name over skype today there was a 2 second pause then they all burst into laughter simultaneously :( They are italian so always over-opinionated and everyone is into everyones business (think big fat greek wedding). They have come to terms with Sienna (my dad says he's still working on it but will get there) but they hate Hope. They said it sounds too hippy and that a classical name would go better. The thought had already crossed my mind too but I cant think of any :shrug: Can you think of a short middle name to go with Sienna? The last name is pronounced "pain" like ouch.

We cant use Rose, Grace, or Mae as they've been taken.

Thanks!

The one that came to mind is Marie. It is definitely classic, and short.

I think Hope is really pretty! I don't think you should let their silliness change your mind. Their outburst of laughter was pretty rude and insensitive IMO.

If you are set on changing it though here are some ideas:

Sienna Lynn
Sienna Love
Sienna Lee
Sienna June
Sienna Raine
Sienna Kate
Sienna Jane
Sienna Jade
Sienna Dawn

I wouldn't change it, it's YOUR baby not theirs. I think they're being very rude to be honest! I didn't disclose our name choice to ANYONE so nobody had the chance to criticise it.

Stick with Hope :thumbup:

You could always change it to Speranza... "hope" in Italian. :)

I kinda think Hope is rather classic...hmm...well, I like it. If you like it, tell 'em to sit on a cannoli ;)

Please don't tell me you're going to change your daughter's name because your parents laughed at it...

They're being ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hope. They've had their turn, they should have a bit more respect! I'm angry for you!

Lily
Emily
Eve
Stella
Joy
Ava
Amy
Kate
Beth
Viv
Olive
Nova
Ariel
Susan
Viola
Pearl
Ella
Heidi
Gwen
Jane
Ruby
Iris
Sara
Helen
Anna
Eliza
Ivy
Liz
Josie
Talia

Oh please dot let your family put you off, Sienna Hope is such a beautiful name :flower:

I let my MIL put me off a name for my last daughter and really regretted it :growlmad:

Maybe Sienna Iris, Sienna Lily, Sienna Rae, Sienna Eve xx

I agree, if you guys like the name please don't let your family talk you out of it.

We're not telling any of our family or friends our name until the baby is born because we don't want opinions. Once its on the birth certificate thats that!

I think hope is a lovely middle name!! Also think sienna joy/sienna Joyce is quite cute?! At the end of the day she's your baby, call her the name u love! X

I love your original name, they sound so beautiful together.

Thanks girls, its nice to hear at least some one likes our original name! Hope isnt completely out the door yet. The reason why we had picked it was because during the second trimester they thought the baby had downs syndrome so it reflects how we felt during those weeks- hopeful that she would be healthy. I wanted "Faith" originally but dh said it was "too religious" :huh: We picked Grace for our first as she was conceived after a loss, so she was our little grace from God if you will :)

There are some great ideas here. I'm liking Sienna Marie (my granny is called Maria), Sienna Kate, Sienna Eve, and Sienna Lily (my great granny's name but she was kind of evil so dont know if it will go down well). I'll show this thread to hubby when he gets home and see if any more jump out at him. Thanks girls!

I have a Jillian Faith, and we used Faith for a middle name for the same reasons you like Hope. We were told she had soft markers for downs, an enlarged kidney, and I was on bedrest for 10 weeks before I had her. She's 14 now and LOVES her middle name and the reasons behind it. :)

If you do choose something else, I love the way Sienna Kate sounds.

PS. I'm NOT telling my family our final choice until after the baby is born for this very reason. SO tired of hearing the nonsense from my mother. ;)

Aww whitesox your daughter has a beautiful name, and how lovely that she likes it and the story behind it! I wish I could travel into the future and ask this baby what she would like her name to be!

I do really like Sienna Kate and surprisingly so does hubby (he doent like many names)! I was just looking up the meaning and hoping it would be something like "gift" or "blessed" so that her middle name had some relevance to her story but it means "pure". Dont know how I can make that fit haha! I think I like the way Sienna Kate sounds more than Sienna Hope but dont know whether I should give up on the whole meaning behind the name thing...

I agree that meanings behind names are nice to have.

Sienna Kate is very pretty and flows perfectly (and pure is a nice word too) but Sienna Hope has such a beautiful meaning too that I understand you don't want to give up (and shouldn't if its just to please other people.) Just a question... I know it must have been scary to think your baby might have downs and you were very worried/stressed at the time. Is there any chance that choosing Hope might bring back those memories every time you hear it? There might come a day when she will ask you why you picked Hope and will having to explain it to her make you sad because it was a stressful time?

I'm NOT saying choosing Hope is a bad idea or telling you thats the way to think. I just thought maybe that was something to consider in case you didnt want that memory. If you want to forget there was ever a risk and move on, then maybe Kate is a better option. But if you really want to commemorate that time of your pregnancy and the fact that all turned out fine, then Hope is a great idea :)

You can't go wrong either way. They are both beautiful names :flower:
Let us know what you decide!

I have to agree with the others that said you shouldn't let your family turn you against a name that both you and your husband really like. And Sienna Hope is a beautiful name with a beautiful story behind it. :) But Sienna Kate does have a lovely ring to it as well. You and your husband should be the ultimate decision on which name you like best and don't let anyone turn you away from your choice. :thumbup: Good Luck! We'd love to know what you decide in the end! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->