Just you wait....

ready4lullaby

Mama to Anne
Reaction score
Anyone else just LOOOOOVE *sarcasm* when people say to ftm's, "oh just wait til you have the baby, then you'll never sleep" or "You think it's bad now, just wait til _____"

Like, thanks, that's the cheering I need right now since I wake up several times a night with an aching back and nausea! ugh... I just tell people, "yes but at least I get the good with the bad then. I can cuddle my baby the next day. Now I just get to throw up and have an achy back."

Lol I just hope I remember not to do that when I have kids and a friend gets pregnant.

The only one I've liked so far was when I had one guy tell me "just wait, your world is about to change...but you've already heard that from everybody...and they'll keep telling you, so yeah, just get used to it." it was an old classmate from highschool... they have a 1 year old, so it made me laugh, cuz it was pretty fresh and new and he knew what it was like to get all of the advice.

Oh well... such is life. At least I get a baby out of this.

Your life changes with everything. I had someone say "You're excited now, a baby isn't a toy." No shit. Really? I can't be excited to have a human?

yes that drove me CRAZY when i was pregnant with dd. ppl mean well they just tend to forget to think before they speak unfortunately

Yes, it drives me NUTS! People say that type of stuff to me all of the time. :(

I hate this, but it's mostly because of who consistently says it to my partner and me. My father-in-law... who walked out on his kids and his wife of 18 years to go be with some 23 year old girl. So, I don't consider him to be much of a parent - he didn't have much experience. So any time someone says, "Just wait..." I get so mad, thinking of him. Haha...

That's so frustrating for a new mom to be to hear. I guess that's one of the bonuses to having more then one. They stop telling you stuff like that the next time around. But then again you start getting, well your first was great so this time you'll get monster. It's too bad most people couldn't just stick to positives. Those are the only people I listen to.

Best thing about having number 2 lol nobody annoys you with that crap :p and honestly most of their advice didn't end up applying to me anyways for one reason or another.. best advice I can give you ... smile and nod lol in one ear out the other ... When baby gets here just do what you feel is right ( it usually is) and take everything day by day :)

OMG I know! I HATE when people with AWFUL undisciplined bratty kids, say “just you wait” or “are you ready for this” It bugs me to no end. Its like “uuhh, your kids have no rules or discipline, theyre going to act like your children over my dead body”

I despise this bit of "help" everybody and their uncle seems to give you. One of my friends is pregnant with her first and mentioned being tired and sick on FB...at least 4 of the 5 comments were "just wait_____"
I told her not to listen to everybody and complain as much as she wants.:haha:

The only piece of advice I ever give first time moms now is what was most helpful to me, "Remember: This too shall pass." This was told to me by a wise friend who has raised several children and is by far the best I've heard.

I despise this bit of "help" everybody and their uncle seems to give you. One of my friends is pregnant with her first and mentioned being tired and sick on FB...at least 4 of the 5 comments were "just wait_____"
I told her not to listen to everybody and complain as much as she wants.:haha:

The only piece of advice I ever give first time moms now is what was most helpful to me, "Remember: This too shall pass." This was told to me by a wise friend who has raised several children and is by far the best I've heard.

Yes, the this too shall pass thing...Even if it feels like forever and ever, there is a light at the end of the tunnel...Some day you will be able to eat chicken and corn again without throwing up. LOL!

Thanks y'all! I just thought everybody would be able to identify with this one.

Having a newborn is WONDERFUL. It's really just the most amazing thing in the world. People say ridiculous things...maybe because they're jealous. You look into your babies eyes, and your heart melts over and over again, all day long. What could be any better than that? Nothing!

it never stops!! when they are here its just u wait till they start walking, just u wait till they start school, just u wait till they r teenagers!!! its like no shit my child is going 2 achieve normal milestones and grow up??!! well i never! ha people can be so annoying! x

It's SO annoying! Or when people will downplay how you feel because with a kid it's harder/better/worse/etc. One thing that really gets me is if anyone who doesn't have kids says they are tired, and then some mom comes in and is like "you don't know tired until you have a kid!" That might be true, but that doesn't mean that person isn't tired, and making that comment isn't going to make them say "wow, you're right, I'm wide awake!" Just because someone hasn't had a particular experience and you have doesn't mean you can compare your situations. People don't think before they speak. If what you say doesn't help in any way, then re-think saying it!

I'm on # 3 and I still get that crap! Eh I have 2 kids right here with me behaving well oh just you wait till # 3 gets here. Oh shut your face! Bah my friend just had her 2nd I always told her how great it was to see the oldest wanting to help you so much and I always tell new moms just wait till you feel true love its when they place that baby on your chest that will be the first time you feel true love. You can love your hub to the moon and back a millon times but the love you will have for that baby as soon as you see them is more then anyone could ever tell you

I'm on # 3 and I still get that crap! Eh I have 2 kids right here with me behaving well oh just you wait till # 3 gets here. Oh shut your face! Bah my friend just had her 2nd I always told her how great it was to see the oldest wanting to help you so much and I always tell new moms just wait till you feel true love its when they place that baby on your chest that will be the first time you feel true love. You can love your hub to the moon and back a millon times but the love you will have for that baby as soon as you see them is more then anyone could ever tell you

I guess it is okay to say that to someone who is expecting, but when I was TTC and would see people publicly talking about that (how you don't know real love until you have a child), it was really hurtful. I believe that you can have real, true love for your family, husband/wife, etc., not just kids. It's a different love for kids, yes, but it really isolates people who are TTC because they may never get to have a child, and are basically being told that their lives won't mean as much/won't have as much love simply because they don't have children, which is just plain not true.

Yeah I get this all the time as well - I absolutely hate it because I feel that they are undermining any of my abilities or making think I am going to be better than I am.

The latest one was my cousin who said - just you wait with your pram, once shes out of the carry cot you will want a new pram.

And I thought, actually no I wont. My parents have spent a lot of money on the pram and I purposely went for one that was light & folded up small and can be used from birth to 3/4yrs old. Why would I change it? I didn't argue as I new I would get shot down for thinking I knew better when I dont have a baby. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Now you see, I used to hate it too, but it's kind of inevitable that parents will want to warn future parents about the pitfalls they have experienced. While I wouldn't dream of trying to undermine people's confidence by saying 'just you wait....you'll never sleep again!' and all that crap, I do try to be realistic. Things like wind, swaddling, weaning, and other little things that the health professionals can put you over a barrel about, and to try to give advice.

Making sweeping statements about babies 'ending your life as a normal person' as one of my friends put it, is not constructive, but pointers, I think are useful. I tend to keep it to myself until asked though.

Rude comments seem to keep coming though. Number 3, especially coming so close to number 2, I've had so many comments from randomers about 'was it planned' or 'oh dear poor you'. One old dear said 'well it's not too late dear!' I was shocked :shock:

We had this from so many people when I was pregnant with my son.

To be honest - we are still waiting for this so-called awful time to arrive that everyone warned us about!! Ok, there have been some 'challening' times over the last 4.5 years,but they really are few and far between! xxx

I guess it is okay to say that to someone who is expecting, but when I was TTC and would see people publicly talking about that (how you don't know real love until you have a child), it was really hurtful. I believe that you can have real, true love for your family, husband/wife, etc., not just kids. It's a different love for kids, yes, but it really isolates people who are TTC because they may never get to have a child, and are basically being told that their lives won't mean as much/won't have as much love simply because they don't have children, which is just plain not true.

This is for people expecting I would never say that to someone ttc and having a hard time I have a close friend that wants to be a mother so badly and here I am getting pregnant when I did not mean to! I wish I could change it for her I really do but aging this is for mommas expecting

Yes! I hated that! I haven't had it much this pregnancy since it's #2, but it would drive me bonkers when people would say, "Oh, you think you're tired now? Just wait till you have the baby" or things like that.

To be honest... I slept better after baby was born! No more freakin heartburn and waking up to go pee. Yeah, baby cried and I had to get up, but it wasn't the same at all. I was excited when he would cry and I would get to see him again! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->