• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ketones in urine

Ganton

Reaction score
I've just had my 16 week check up and was very reassured to hear the heartbeat. However, ketones were found in my urine. The midwife asked if I'd had lunch yet (yes) and if I'd been drinking plenty (yes).

I returned from holiday yesterday and due to various issues at the airport and on the flight, I didn't have access to any food between 6am and 3pm, so I know my body probably had to start breaking down fat to get me through the day. I weighed myself this morning and have lost 3lbs over the last week. Could this be the reason for ketones being found? Since the flight issues, I've eaten and drunk well over the last 24 hours, so would have thought any ketones from that would have been flushed out by now?

I've been worried about developing GD due to largish previous babies (9lb1 and 9lb9) and increased thirst throughout previous pregnancies, so this ketone reading hasn't helped. I don't think any glucose was found in my urine so is that a good thing with regards to potential GD?

I had ketones in my urine and blood for the last 7 weeks of pregnancy with Sophie because I was eating low carb and everything was fine with her and I. I have read into some research that says the brain of the baby is more than happy to utilise ketones in the maternal blood stream, but I'm not sure of the validity of that.

Thank you. I always tend to think the worst about such results, even if there's a logical explanation. I would have been good if the midwife had explained what ketones in urine meant at the appointment so I could discuss these queries with her, but she just moved on after asking if I'd eaten and drunk. I have another appointment in 5 weeks so hopefully they'll be gone by then or they'll investigate further if they're still there.

I had this in my urine in the last 5 weeks of my last pregnancy, I do admit that I was pretty stressed at work and not eating properly and lost a lot of weight in the pregnancy, not watching what I was eating. My midwife gave me a few rows for not eating properly but said it was nothing to be too worried about. I never developed GD. I hope in your case everything sorts itself out and you have no further problems, I took advantage of being told to eat more lol!!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just going to try to eat a decent amount but still be sensible about not eating too much sugary stuff and just hope that all is ok at my next appointment. I was told to be careful to not put on too much weight in my last pregnancy, so was really pleased to still be at my pre pregnancy weight yesterday until I discovered the ketone thing, so it's really hard to get the balance right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->