Keytones in urine

trolleydollyx

Reaction score
Hi, I had my 16 week check up today with the consultant and she found keytones in my urine.

What causes this and is it anything to worry about?

Hope someone can help me xx

Nothing to panic about, it could be a one time thing. It could also be a sign of out of range blood sugar, low carb intake or starvation. I had the stomach flu for a week back a few years ago and had ketones in my urine for a few days after because i hadn't taken anything in.

" Excess ketones and glucose are dumped into the urine by the kidneys in an effort to flush them from the body." https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/blood-ketones/tab/test

Follow up with your doctor, he may just want to do some follow up bloodwork to make sure all is well.

:hugs: Ketones in the urine only become a serious condition when the cause is ignored. I'm sure the doctor is on top of it!

Thank you for your reply.
I was very sick in the first 4 months of my pregnancy and couldn't eat much and was being sick every day once or twice per day. Could this have contributed to it?

Is there anything I can do to make sure it goes away?

Xxx

It's possible. What did your doctor say when he found the ketones? Did he offer any insight or followup options?

Without knowing the cause, it's impossible to find a solution.
I am in Canada so healthcare is easily accessible.

A blood test can determine if you are having blood sugar issues.

Best thing to do is talk to the doctor, they are the medical professionals!

I had the same yesterday its just because you havent eaten enough thats what the dr said to me its to do with the body not being able to get glucose for energy so it switches to using body fats or something. x

Try and eat some more..I get ketones quite often because I'm still suffering from morning sickness/hyperemesis.

You get ketones from being dehydrated and your body going into starvation mode.

Lots of water and food should clear it up, however it can be an indicator of GD aswell. I'd guess it's only 1+ or 2+ ketones or it would have been investigated straight away. 3+ or 4+ ketones generally mean hospital admission with fluids for me.

I had 4+ ketones for weeks in tri 1 due to hyperemesis. I could barely eat and was sick constantly. I had IV fluids every couple of days at home. Some doctors say ketones might be harmful to the baby in super high amounts but that is basically just conjecture, there could be someing in it but there isn't really any particular evidence one way or another. I'm 27 weeks now and our baby seems to be fine anyway.

Low amounts of ketones are not anything to worry about in themselves, they are not thought to be any risk to the baby. If it is something you get regularly though it is important to know why they are there though. Basically ketones are a bi product of the body breaking down fat and protien instead of sugar and carbs. That means a) you are eating a low carb diet, b) you are not eating enough and your body is breaking down muscle and fat, or c) You have diabetes and your body is not able to process blood sugar properly so is resorting to living off protien and fat. If you have not been drinking enough it will concentrate your urine and make it look like you have an even higher quantity of ketones.

If I remember right ketones are produced from what you ate 12-24 hrs before a urine test. I don't think it is possible for you still to have ketones from being sick a few weeks ago. I know mine went back to normal as soon as I could eat normally. Its most likey it has a simple and fairly harmless cause. It is quite possible that you are still eating slightly less than normal though (even without realising ) which is enough to cause some ketones. Or it might be that by coincidence you ate low carbs the day before. For example for some people eating one meal of meat and salad with no rice or potatoes etc would be enough to have some ketones in their urine. If its a low amount and a once off the doctor might not be too bothered. If it is a regular thing or high amount they will probably want to know why.

Hope that helps a bit.

Keytones in urine usually mean you're dehydrated...drink more water.

I had some show up in my urine a few weeks back when I did a 24 hr urine catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->