Kid Music Review Club

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
This is the same idea as the book thread - music is a really important part of any child's upbringing with all sorts of great developmental benefits, but if I have to listen to Raffi for five hours a day, I might just snap! (No offense, Raffi - you are great! I just want some alternatives!)
Post kid albums you can't live without, adult albums that soothe/excite/get your LO dancing, warnings about kid albums that are so obnoxious that your LO must never find out they exist!, etc.
And if you are a musician/music lover with a passion for a particular genre, make suggestions for good albums to start off with (could be for LOs or their parents).

Happy Listening!

The first discovery that I want to share is an artist named Elizabeth Mitchell. She sings with an adult music group called Ida - I haven't heard them before, but I gather they are sort of folksy, bluegrass-inspired.
Her kids albums are really pretty renditions of old bluegrass folk music. She has three on her own and one that she did with Lisa Loeb.
I can listen to these albums over and over. They don't feel too cutesy or kiddy-ish.
Check her out if you want something simple and folksy.
Absolutely brilliant for lullaby/wind-down music.
Here is a review with links:
https://kidsmusicthatrocks.blogspot.com/2006/09/elizabeth-mitchell.html

Hey - I'm going to have to check out this Yo Gabba Gabba that you are so addicted to - apparenly they have good music?
And here is a true Raffi story for you. He played Baby Beluga at an environmental youth conferenece that I went to as a teenager and...HE FORGOT THE WORDS!!!!
Don't worry - the entire audience sang it for him!

I truly do love and respect ol' Raffi. I used to rock out to his albums on my
Fisher Price record player when I was five. I had Baby Beluga, Singable Songs for the Very Young and More Singable Songs for the Very Young. I will definitely get Simon Baby Beluga. A classic, that.

That is the main reason I love Yo Gabba Gabba, the music! I love their little segments and all the different types of music they play.

Another offering from our interesting kid music discoveries are the albums from They Might Be Giants:
Here Come the ABCs
Here Come the 123s.
We have both.
I like the 123s album best. Right now, you can get the CD and the DVD (super cute cartoon and puppet videos of their songs) for $13.99 at Chapters.
Has anyone heard the Snack Time album by Barenaked Ladies?

Of your music, what have you found that LO responds most to?
Simon went crazy in his jolly jumper when my husband out on Black Betty! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->