Kindle fire kids or Hudl 2?

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
The kids are getting tablets for Chrismas, but we're not sure what to get. Any reccomendations?

I have no actual experience of either but I googled reviews of the kindle fire kids a while back and there was complaints that some of it didn't work if you were outside the USA...it was going back a month or two though so things may have changed xx

We've just got the Kindle Fire Kids to replace a Samsung kid's tablet that broke and so far it seems great. It comes with two years' breakage cover and a year's subscription to the kids unlimited service which has tons of TV shows etc on it. The parental controls are really good too. Haven't seen a hudl so can't compare but the Fire is streets ahead of the Samsung one we had before.

I have a Hudl2 (its mine) and it is fab! It isnt really used for much except youtube (courtesy of my two oldest girls) and occasionally browsing.. But I am getting my dd1 one for her fifth birthday in January.
I lovs it and they seem to be able to use it well.
Also, it has been dropped countless times and stood on etc and hasnt a mark on it!

We're in the UK by the way, I think this version is something new that's been released as we couldn't order it til the end of September?

I have the hudl and I find it quite difficult to use (might just be me). DD has an iPad mini and it's really easy to use and kid friendly. She also likes using DH's Samsung galaxy tablet, but obviously a bit bigger than the iPad mini.

I don't have any experience of the fire but we just got the Hudl 2 for our 5 year old and it's brilliant, does everything you need it to and the parental controls are fantastic, you can set up profiles so in mine I can control everything but on his I've turned off the internet, in app purchases, he can literally only access apps I pre approve, you can make it turn off after a set time too! I find it just as easy as my iPad and my son picked it up no problems. We got ours in club card boost so only handed over £50 worth of points for it.

We already have an iPad mini which the kids get on great but its too expensive to buy another, for the same cost we could get two hudls or kindles. It is new and just released last month so the region issues shouldnt be there.
Im drawn to the Kindle but I worry about the app range once the year runs out. Netflix is also a must for us, everybody uses it.

Both my boys have kindles, and I think they r great, one has been dropped down the stairs and still working and screens intact, can't say the same for my iPad, am on the third screen!!! We have loads of apps and videos on ours. Get a high memory one tho, one of ours is bigger than other, smaller memory have to keep deleting stuff for newer apps

Weve just got ds the kindle for christmas. It only just came out so dont think it can be the one that had problems outside usa? He's not used it yet but me and OH have set it up and seems great.

My daughter has a kindle fire. I didn't get her the kids edition bc there were lots of complaints about the memory being too small. I got the regular kindle fire hd with 16gb. I added the kindle edition case though bc it seemed like a good one and hasn't disappointed as she has dropped, thrown and spilt water on it and the kindle survived. I signed up for the free time unlimited, but decided it wasn't necessary as there are enough free apps to keep her entertained. We also have netflix since she loves Daniel Tiger. So far, it's been a good little tablet. The battery life is not as good as the ipad, but it's decent. I've never seen a hudl, so can't comment there.

Can you still setup parental controls etc on the normal edition?
The kids edition seems to have a Micro SD slot so storage shouldnt be an issue.

Yes, you can set parental controls. I think the issue with storage is that there are apps that will only let you store them on the internal memory and not a card. That's what I gathered from the reviews.

one of my girls has a kindle fire and one has a hudl 2. The apps are better on the hudl, graphics, screen etc all seems better on the hudl. Reading reviews also the hudl seems to get better reviews even than the iPads!

If my iPad was to break I'd happily replace with a Hudl.

LO has a regular kindle fire hd but prefers going on my ipad, I've read good things about the hudl though.

Forgot to add regular kindle does have the free time I think it's called? program which you can create for several kids and you can stipulate how long they can go on apps and books for - the earliest they can go on it and the latest they can use it etc which we find really useful.

We have a hudl 2 and I'd definitely recommend it. My dd uses it quite a lot. It's been dropped so many times, but still working fine. :)

Yes, you can set parental controls. I think the issue with storage is that there are apps that will only let you store them on the internal memory and not a card. That's what I gathered from the reviews.
This is useful to know and may actually sway me to the hudl. It looks like the apps are easily downloaded by accident by tapping on them which I know my two will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->