Ladies! Help please. So stressed.

wheelz23

Reaction score
So, backstory here. I went at 3w6d to get blood drawn, HCG level was 192. Today (I'm 5w4d) began having small amounts of dark brown spotting, so of course I freaked out. Called my doctor, they had me come in for a quantitative test, and a blood typing because they thought I might be RH- and needed Rhogam. So I go in, nurse didn't seem super concerned about the spotting. I haven't been cramping. So I get my results back and my HCG is 31,239!!!! (I ended up being O+ so no Rhogam) but anyways, the nurse told me that was great, and that it was so great the doctor made a note of it on my chart and wants to see me on Tuesday for an ultrasound... I asked if something was wrong and she said it was just a precautionary ultrasound... However, I'm still totally freaked. 1) Why am I spotting? and why is no one concerned about it? Is it this common? and 2) I looked up HCG levels for 5w4d, and my HCG levels are on average in the 7w range... Anyone have any idea for what this is? I feel like somethings wrong because they want to do an ultrasound on Tuesday... I'm so nervous! Today has been a whirlwind, and I'm totally freaked. Any advice would be great! Like I said, the doctors nor nurses seemed to be concerned. The nurse seemed almost excited. So I have no clue what is going on.

Sincerely,
Super freaked out pregnant woman.

Possibly twins? And they say spotting is totally normal.. hcg increases rapidly with twins.

Is twins something they might rush an ultrasound for? I didn't ask for the ultrasound. Doctor requested it.

Possibly. I think it depends on what they are thinking. Or you are farther along than they originally thought.. that would also explain the high number.. my 8w ultrasound is Thursday, we find out if i am having twins. Had a 5w Scan and the tech thought she saw 2 sacs. But my dr doesn't test hcg numbers, just urine test.

Shoot that's awesome!!! I'm definitely not farther along. I tracked period, and even the OV date. I guess I just have freakishly high HCG levels... was NOT expecting twins. So I guess we will find out this upcoming week. Today was so scary. Have you spotted at all?

Twins would be so exciting! For you, lol, not me ��

Try not to worry too much hun..I spotted a lot in first tri with ds. I think the last was a massive red gush around 10 weeks, I thought for sure it was over. But I went on to have a healthy pregnancy.

As far as high numbers it could be twins. But I think a couple other things could cause high numbers. The ultrasound should show heartbeats and make sure things are going well.

Your doubling time is 39 hours, so really that's well within the normal range.

I bled with Thomas and Sophie. With Thomas it was proper bleeding like a period though, for about 5-6 days.

I'm surprised I didn't spot at all with Emma!

The u/s is likely just to check, but not necessarily because they think something is wrong.

I started spotting brown with DS at 5+4. I had a beta done 5+5 (came back a bit over 11,000) and then another beta at 6+0 (came back a bit over 22 or 23,000). They scheduled a scan for 6+1 just to look and see.

I measured 5+5 at 6+1, only showing a sac, nothing else. The brown spotting continued for until about 7+2 or 7+3, and I had a repeat scan 7+4 and he was measuring right on spot.

So it's really just precautionary. If they thought it was something serious, they'd unlikely be waiting until Tuesday, but probably want to give it a little more time so they have a little more to see (I'm guessing though, so could be wrong!).

Having said that, I totally get the anxiety of it all. Those were the hardest 2 weeks to get through. Please update when you can. Thinking of you :hugs:

Thank you! We started spotting close around the same time! Mine was dark brown, and right now seems to be tapering off. Scared me half to death! Good point about waiting for the ultrasound, I guess if something was urgent they'd check now. My mom spotted with me during weeks five and six, so I guess this is just common? They led with thinking I'd need Rhogam, however when the blood was O+ they didn't say much else. The nurse seemed rather excited that I had an HCG of almost 32,000. So I guess these are positives? Just terrifying!

It really can be stressful and cause a lot of anxiety! I also had it with DD, but it was a little earlier and it only lasted a couple of days. I cried both times, but since it lasted longer with DS and that they only saw a sac at 6+1 with levels over 20,000, I was out of my mind.

It can definitely be something that's common. Spotting or even light bleeding can happen in early pregnancy. Actually, when I was 15 weeks with DS I woke up in the morning to a big bright red bleed. I had to go to the ER and get a scan and everything. I will never forget how scared I was that day. Pregnancy, while amazing, can be a huge ball of stress.

For the rhogam, if your rh negative, you need rhogam. Though you usually get it further into the pregnancy and shortly after birth, but if you're rh negative, if you have a miscarriage, amniocentesis, or have some other procedures or complications, rhogam is needed earlier on. With O+ you won't need rhogam, but if they couldn't find out and thought it was absolutely necessary, they probably would've given it just in case (it wouldn't hurt if you're +, but it's so important if someone is -).

I know this is scary and stressful, and I know that it's so much harder to do than said, but try to relax a bit if you can. I'm sure time will drag until Tuesday (I know it did for me lol), but try to distract yourself if you can.

My first thought from reading your post was twins. They would want to know about multiples asap to get you the right care,so probably why they are fast tracking your scan. Good luck!!

Thanks! I keep googling about spotting and all you see on the internet is about miscarriage... the doctor (I guess based off HCG) told me that this wasn't a miscarriage, but never really solidified what exactly it was. I'm still a little freaked I'm spotting, as the internet makes it seem like no one ever spots, but you guys are making me feel a little better. It's so helpless!

Ughhh confused as well i should only be 3 weeks 6 days today...history of miscarriages..haf hcg done on 23rd of dec was at 81...then again on 26 it was 396 again on 27 an it was 627...from what ive been googling it would mean im further along wouldnt it?

You could be having twins! haha. who knows, my HCG at 3w6d was 192, and that was thought to be "higher" than usual but nothing to compare it too. When is your first OB appt?

Oh my lol..i go back on jan 17th..then we will schedule a ultrasound..as long everything keeps going good so far...levels are raising no blood ...fingers are crossed...why u figure twins? I thought my number looked a bit high lol

I had brown spotting with DS my only successful pregnancy out of 6. The mc pregnancys. No brown spotting. I believe it's a good sign that baby got nice a snug. Stay positive and keep us updated!

Thanks! I keep googling about spotting and all you see on the internet is about miscarriage... the doctor (I guess based off HCG) told me that this wasn't a miscarriage, but never really solidified what exactly it was. I'm still a little freaked I'm spotting, as the internet makes it seem like no one ever spots, but you guys are making me feel a little better. It's so helpless!

The thing about Dr. Google (or whatever search engine lol) usually = miscarriage or cancer. It seems to never fail that it gives worst case scenario. It's best not to Google, BUUUUT I also know how hard it is not lol so try to take anything you read with a grain of salt.

The good thing about brown spotting is that it's old blood. It could potentially be left over from implantation and is just now coming out. Doctor's usually aren't concerned unless it's bright red, in higher quantity, clots, cramping/pain, etc. They generally still like to follow up on it to make sure though (I had 2 betas and a scan as soon as mine started).

It truly is just hard to get through though. First tri is hard enough, but it seems to be the norm that people tend to hear that bleeding = bad even it's truly pretty common which I think is what makes it that much harder to get through.

Ughhh confused as well i should only be 3 weeks 6 days today...history of miscarriages..haf hcg done on 23rd of dec was at 81...then again on 26 it was 396 again on 27 an it was 627...from what ive been googling it would mean im further along wouldnt it?

Do you know about when you ovulated? You could either be a little further along or just have higher levels. I've been looking up hcg levels, myself, and I've been getting conflicting information as far as some charts that show the norm, but then also where there is such a huge range. I know there is a huge range starting around week 5 and a little less of a range earlier on, but I've also read that the range can still be big even then, so it's soooo hard to say.

I went from 44.5 at 11dpo to 1,052 at 17dpo (4+3) which seems high on some charts and within normal range on others :shrug: Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer after your appointment for your scan!

Thank you for posting! I hope the spotting is a good sign. This is day three of having it. I guess in my head I just figured it would be all out of my system. Apparently my mom spotted with me for two weeks, so maybe that's a good sign too. You truly can't google, because googling spotting it'll tell you only 50% of pregnancies survive it, and if you google high HCG levels, it'll tell you that you have a molar pregnancy (which is freakishly rare) it's just terrifying! I am going to try my hardest not to google. I'm exhausted, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I constantly feel tired. I keep praying this baby is growing healthy and doing okay. I hope Tuesday doesn't turn out to be disastrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->