Lakai's story

:rofl: @ him peeing all over the doc! He has a cheeky little boy's character already! haha

I am really impressed at your attitude and the way you are marching on for your little boy. Ignore all the statistics and probabilities and just focus on how LAKAI is doing... He sounds like such a strong little fighter.

I loved your photos, you can see right through the blue light and the tubes / wires, to your beautiful boy. I can't believe the nurse taped up his boy parts to stop him peeing! Isn't that a bit unhealthy?? Can't they fit him with a catheter or something? ... You have such a beautiful, tiny son. Despite his tininess he seems so full of character, and so strong and determined... it has always amazed me, the strength that such tiny babies can have. Congratulations - He is surely a baby to be extra proud of!

Big :hug: and thank you for keeping us updated, and sharing your photo's with us. You take care of yourself (and make sure you're eating and getting enough sleep! ... though I know how hard it is to remember yourself sometimes when your LO one is in the NICU...). Lots of love, :hugs: x

Right now I wait, right now I grow,
But soon I will show.
Show the world what a beautiful transformation I have made,
Soon all the memories of my struggle will fade.
Right now I will be strong,
For the journey I am making is long.
But in time you will see,
The perfection which my mom calls “me”.
Right now I cannot fly,
But each time you see me, your heart is set on high.
In such a short time I will morph into an unstoppable force, a delicate being full of love and life,
In such a short time we will all but forget these days of strife.
My will is great; my strength is shining inside,
I face each new day, each new set back in stride.
Right now I am in my cocoon; right now I grow,
But soon I will show.
Show the world what a beautiful butterfly I have grown into,
And I will make it home to you.

I love you Lakai, love Mom.

Right now I wait, right now I grow,
But soon I will show.
Show the world what a beautiful transformation I have made,
Soon all the memories of my struggle will fade.
Right now I will be strong,
For the journey I am making is long.
But in time you will see,
The perfection which my mom calls “me”.
Right now I cannot fly,
But each time you see me, your heart is set on high.
In such a short time I will morph into an unstoppable force, a delicate being full of love and life,
In such a short time we will all but forget these days of strife.
My will is great; my strength is shining inside,
I face each new day, each new set back in stride.
Right now I am in my cocoon; right now I grow,
But soon I will show.
Show the world what a beautiful butterfly I have grown into,
And I will make it home to you.

I love you Lakai, love Mom.

Beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye. =' )

That's so beautiful, your posts always bring a tear to my eye and I just find it so amazing and wonderful at how strong your little Lakai is. His is such an inspiring story. Love and :hugs: to you all xx

Hope hes still going strong and your not wearing yourself into the ground. x

Hows little man doing today?:hugs:

i hope he continues to make improvements . violet xx

Nov 9 -

So today was full of up's and down's, as life in the NICU seems to be every day...

Lakai has put on 100 grams of weight thankfully. And was taken off his insulin for his high blood sugar levels, for now. His IV fluids are up to where the doctor wanted them to be, so that is also good and could mean he will not need insulin again.

He is now getting between 4 to 5 cc's of breast milk every two hours, the goal is to get him up to 9cc's every two hours. Well the goal in my mind is to get him breast feeding, but that's probably months and months away.

We also found his heart issues (PDA) is open and closing, so tomorrow they are going to do a repeat heart echo (ultrasound) and if it is open, then they will be performing surgery to clamp and close the PDA. I know the doctor has told us its a simple sugery that they do every day and that they do it about once a day on babies. But not my baby. And its a bit scary to think he will forever have a metal clamp in his heart.

He is also having another head ultrasound tomorrow to see where his bleeding is at, the doctor pushed it forward for us because Tuesday is a holiday. So we will see where we stand with the IHV bleed.

So today was a good and bad day.

And tomorrow is a very busy and important day.

I just wanted to take a second to thank my mom and dad, who undoubtly have been our biggest support system through out this. They have been driving us back and forth to the hospital whenever we want. Getting food into us. To even getting us boxes for our up coming move just next weekend.

Thank you so much Mom and Dad!

Also thank you very much to Ruth, the necklace was beautiful and I will wear it close to my heart. And the scrapbook is awesome, we cannot wait to fill full of baby pictures of lovely Lakai.

And last but never least thank you to everyone who has shown their support and love through out this!

Nov 10 -

This update was in my comments for the Nov 9th update..but just in case...Yesterday was suppose to be a busy day..but instead it was more hurry up and wait. Which is ok..I guess. But I won't lie it gets frustrating. Lakai is getting his surgery but it looks like it will be tomorrow. I have read ALL about it and now feel some what "comfortable" with it happening. Though I will never get use to the idea my baby is being operated on.

He has gained a little more weight today which is good.

He also had a second blood transfusion today which went well. But he also had a "brady" while we were at the hospital but I assume that will have something to do with his PDA.

I have to laugh a little because I found another quirk he and I share..beyond having ticklish feet..Lakai also really dislikes being on his left side. Which I cannot stand either.

Kyle learned how to clean his mouth and moisturize his lips today, which promptly made him start to suck and stick out his tongue.

I cannot wait till he gains some more weight. And gets the lines out of his umbilical cord (well stump now) so I can hold him. Its such an emotional seesaw when one nurse tells you one thing and another tells you another.

Even the doctors do it. I understand why..but it can be frustrating none the less. I totally appreicate the job they are doing, thats for sure!

Nov 11th Update.........

Today was a hard day, for everyone..especially for Lakai. He had his PDA surgery today which went very well. Thankfully! Thank you to Dr. Campbell who performed the surgery. And our nurse Jenny who is awesome and very good about making sure we not only have updates but we know exactly what is going on. I think we are going to ask her to be another one of our primary nurses. She's very good at her job, very careful and caring with Lakai, calling him "our" baby.

Lakai's surgery was about an hour tops, if that. Though I won't lie it felt as if the world stood still once the nurse said "this is where we say goodbye to the parents" just outside the surgery room doors.

Before the surgery Lakai was sucking away on his hand, which I confess I put to his mouth for him a couple of times. He seems to find a lot of comfort in doing it, though later in life I might regret that choice; but for now, whatever he needs to find comfort in ok with me.

He was very active before the surgery which was nice to see, because afterward he was so sedated that it made me pain a lot inside seeing him so still.

His blood sugar is back up again, but Jenny attributed that to the fact they had to stop feedings before the surgery and increased his IV fluids instead. So he was put back on insulin for now. He should start feeding again within a day or two, if not sooner. The way he eats already, it should be sooner. From what I have researched about preemies, 4cc's of breast milk for a 10 day old preemie is quiet a lot.

Both sides of his family love food..so it makes sense!

It was so hard to leave him tonight, mostly because he was not awake from the sedation yet and I wanted to see him more awake before we left. I am not sure what I am going to do when it comes time for me to return to work, I wish I didn't have too. But the fact we are about to sign the papers on our first apartment tomorrow, I have to go back because it wasn't planned for me to be off this soon and I cannot just dump the mortgage payments all on Kyle.

I am sure we will make something work. I am hoping once I can start holding him and later on breast feeding him...I will be able to be off work. Because once I can do one or both of those, it's going to take a tow truck or gale force winds to sweep through the NICU before I will leave. I am not about to miss my bonding experiences with him. That's for sure!

So other than that, that is our update for today.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and positive thoughts regarding his big surgery today. It worked!

I'm so glad his surgery went well and he is coming on strong honey :hugs: He sounds like such a little character and is such a beautiful little boy - you must be so very proud of your little Lakai.

Take care and hope everything goes nice and smoothly for your move :hugs:

glad to hear the surgery went well hun..what a superstar little fighter you have there xx

glad to hear the surgery went well. He is amazing and so are you!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story, reading through the pages has certainly brought a tear to my eye more than once. Lakai is a fighter, he's showing you his character for later life :)
I have been told that my baby will probably be born prem, though there's no way of telling how prem, and it's a real help hearing the ins and outs of NICU. I will keep you all in my thoughts xxx

Nic you are an amazing woman, I can feel your strength, sending you lots of love and prayers for your family!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->