Lakai's story

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
Many of you have already probably read this in the second trimester forum but I wanted to post here so I could connect with other premie moms.

Well first of all I just want to introduce my son to the world! Lakai Hamilton Kraft was born at 1:50am on November 2, 2008 at the Children's Hospital in Vancouver. He is only 23 weeks and 3 days old..well now 4 days old! Or should I say officially he is a day old!

He came into this world early for reasons that are still some what unknown, but the main thing is he is fighting every single minute, growing stronger and stronger.

He weighs 1.63lbs right now and is in great condition aside from some minor things, such as a small now healing cut on his head from the very short birthing process and a bruise on his nose from the same.

I will mention now he was a very easy delivery in most respects, except that they had to induce me which made the labor come on a little faster and stronger than I was prepared for! But it didn't take him very much time to make his way into this world!

Currently he is on a breathing tube and in an incubator but he is actually doing most of his own breathing which is amazing for a premie of his age. He was getting caffine to sitmulate his breathing, but they stopped today because he is doing so well. There is even talk already of taking out his breathing tube! But that might wait and that's fine considering it is helping him and I do not want them doing anything that will stress him out.

He is also sporting some very cool bandage sunglasses right now because he is under a blue light for jaundice, which is very normal in premies. As the doctor says its "basic house keeping".

He did recieve a blood tranfusion last night but that is also some what basic housekeeping for a premie since they have to take so much blood from testing and because he is not creating his own blood yet, that he become ememic.

It went perfectly though...of course!

The doctors also say he is and I quote "a dream to work with because he is so easy to care for and has really no health issues beyond being premature". He does have a little bit of a temper like his dad though!

I have to admit beyond the temper thing, right now he is most like myself. He is stubborn, head strong, willful, strong, tough and sets his own rules to how he plans things to go for himself! Did I just admit I am all those things?

Plus he has black hair like me and my nose...even my toes actually.

He will most likely have to remain here until his due date of Feb 18th, 2009. But I have a very strong good feeling he won't stay a day or second longer than he wants too. He just isn't interested in being the average premie, he wants to show everyone what he is made of.

He is most certainly a little fighter!

Oh, about his name...Lakai is a combo of NicoLA and KYle..if you have not already figured it out. And Hamilton is my mom's maiden name and since she has always been the most supportive Grandma to him even before he was born and more so after we could not think of a better way to honor that and her.

Thank you so much Mom for everything you have done and all the love and support you have given me, Kyle and Lakai!

Thank you also to Ruth for being there through the labor and helping me focus on what I needed to get done. I really don't know what I would have done without you because I was for sure flying blindly...having not yet gone to birthing classes...and or prenatal!

And there is truly no way I could not thank the nurses, Angela and Ahmen for helping us through everything. And Dr. Shand and everything other single doctor and nurse at Children Hospital. It would be impossible to name everyone...there are just so many wonderful caring people who have helped us. An especially deep heartful thank you to the nurses in the NICU, everytime we go into to see Lakai you update us and tell us how wonderful our little warrior is doing. We know everytime we walk out the door to return to the hospital room that we are leaving Lakai in the best hands possible. THANK YOU!

I have to say its funny how I feel about everything. I mean you just never know what your reaction would be in this type of situation maybe because you never see it happening to you...or there is just no way to judge without it actually happening. But I am not scared or even that worried. I know in my heart Lakai is a fighter and he is strong like his mom and dad! And he will be just fine and no one will ever tell him otherwise.

I will admit it can be emotionally trying when I see other moms on the ward where I am staying holding their babies when I cannot hold him. But that day will come sooner than later, sooner than anyone will expect too!

Thank you to everyone who has left kind words and well wishes on my wall, emails and messages.

Even if I do not always have time to reply please know that every single word means everything. Its beyond comforting to know how many people are pulling for him. And its also nice for me to have a break and the chance to read them all. So please do not think because I cannot always reply that I do not care or I am not paying attention I am. Even after a long day I look forward to reading all the love.

Love Nic, Kyle and our little warrior Lakai Hamilton Kraft!

I'm thinking positive thoughts for baby Lakai and your whole family babe:hugs::hug:

Wow, what an amazing little boy you have! You must be so proud of your little fighter, it sounds like he gets his strength from his Mummy.

Keep strong and I'm sure your little Lakai will continue to be a little miracle baby. You're all in our thoughts :hugs:

:hug: Keep us updated, hun! Your little boy sounds like such a miracle. I'm sorry if it's been mentioned in another thread somewhere, I've not seen much of you around before... Why did you have to be induced? :hugs:

I'm sure that your little boy will be just fine, and I too suspect he will be home before his due date! He sounds like such a fit and head-strong little one! hehe

Do you have any pictures of your little miracle? We'd love to see if you do! :hug: xx

Congratulations! I hope he continues to do well.. he sounds like a strong little fighter. :hugs:

My daughter Isebelle was born at 24 weeks too, she's now 11 weeks old and has amazed everyone with her strength and how well she is doing. I hope Lakai can do the same. Hang in there hun, I know it's tough having a little one in NICU, and even if there are some days worse than others, try to keep your chin up and focus on that little boy!

:hugs:

Its really nice Lakai Has such positive strong parents , You seem to have allready slipped in to a lovely Mummy mode :) .
Iam sure your little fighter will soon be in your arms at home :) .

Lots of good luck and cuddles on your journey . xxxx .

What a miracle baby! His name is just beautiful also. I hope that he gets stronger as each day passes. Congrats on your little boy!

What a strong little boy you have there :)

Congrats on the birth of your baby and Ill be thinking of you all :)

xxx

oh wow another 24weeker on the board!!! He sounds like a very strong baby especially since they might take him off the ventilator so soon!
My little one was born Nov.12 of last year at 24 weeks and 5 days and was 1lb 8oz. My due date was Feb.28. She had minor problems such as a PDA ligation and laser eye surgery. She now weighs 18 lbs and is a normal and healthy baby.
I hope things continue to go well and if you have any questions or just want to talk there are a few of us here who can very closely relate and will help in any way we can. :hugs:

:hugs: sounds like u got ur self a fighter there good luck and i no he will do well

sounds like u have a strong little baby there hun x :hug:

Warmest wishes sweetie. A huge congratulations; your little fighter sounds like an absolute treasure Xx :hugs:

Keep us updated thinking of you all x x

:hug: Keep us updated, hun! Your little boy sounds like such a miracle. I'm sorry if it's been mentioned in another thread somewhere, I've not seen much of you around before... Why did you have to be induced? :hugs:

I'm sure that your little boy will be just fine, and I too suspect he will be home before his due date! He sounds like such a fit and head-strong little one! hehe

Do you have any pictures of your little miracle? We'd love to see if you do! :hug: xx

I had to be induced because he was already on his way and I was not getting there fast enough for the doctors. So they induced me to hurry him along. He wanted to come earlier...he just wanted to take his time doing it!

He is a head strong little bum.

Here is one really bad picture...I will scan the better ones I have asap..

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v376/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1426549_357.jpg

Thank you for updating us!

What an amazing little boy you have, and as you mentioned, he sounds like quite the fighter and will make leaps and bounds to be in his mummy's arms sooner than later.

Such a powerful and moving story.

Keep us posted.

Thinking of you and your little, beautiful family.

:hugs:

Oh what a cutie! He is so gorgeous honey and sounds like he's a real head strong little boy who's busy fighting his way to fitness. Thinking of you all :hugs:

And now the bad news comes...Lakai has a Grade 4 (on the low side though) IVH..brain bleed.

aww hun :( I hope that they can fix the IVH before it causes any damage. IVH are so common with preemies. I don't have very much advice as Angelynn didn't have any bleeds. But keep your chin up. There's going to be alot of ups and downs and suprises. Keep a journal and take alot of pictures because you will be suprised at how much you will look back on these days.
But just take things one day at a time. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->