Landlady rant!

sheeps24

A mummy!
Reaction score
Me and oh have just moved out of a house we were only in for 5 months. We still have stuff to go and collect and all the cleaning to do. The landlady keeps going there even though we dont have to be out until sunday. She rang me today and said she wants the carpets shampooing but there are only 2 bedrooms that have carpet and one of the rroms.were never used as lo sleeps in our room there are no marks on the 1 carpet when its hoovered it will look like it did before. I know shes going to be very picky with any little.detail we have spotlight in the kitchen that are expensive to replace and we already replaced them 3/4 times and i know she will deduct money from out deposit for light bulbs and she also said if we dont shampoo the carpets she will knock money off! Arr shes frustrating
.. Rant over sorry!

I feel your pain. I got utterly ripped off by a landlord once for repairs etc after moving out. They kept nearly all my deposit. I tried to fight bits of it but the law was totally on her side. If I ever rent again I'm taking copious photos day I move in and get them to agree them. Hope you can manage to sort it and she doesn't take too much from you. Best advice I can give is try and be there too when they inspect it. Least then you can argue points in person x

It annoys me the fact we have only been there 5 months and its only 1 room!

Yes in UK

Is your deposit in a rent deposit scheme? You should have the certificate if it is.

Our deposit is with dps .. Deposit protection service i think its called

They are impartial so if your landlord trys to take any of your depsoit fight it. The law is on the tenants side.

I think its also important to state here that it is ILLEGAL for her to enter the property unless you give her permission to do so. I realise that you only have a few days left and its probably not worth kicking up a stink now, however she should have set a time and day for inspection, once cleaned and all your stuff is out. She really is being a cow, and breaking the law in the process.

I think its also important to state here that it is ILLEGAL for her to enter the property unless you give her permission to do so. I realise that you only have a few days left and its probably not worth kicking up a stink now, however she should have set a time and day for inspection, once cleaned and all your stuff is out. She really is being a cow, and breaking the law in the process.

Ditto this.........if she disputes it make sure you put forward the fact that spare room was never used, the cost of the lightbulbs you kept having to replace (the fact you replaced them so often to me suggests electrical fault ---- she may need that checked to make sure the place is actually safe electrics wise!) and that she kept entering the property when she had no right to.

Do you have any pics from when you moved in?

I highly doubt she will get any of the deposit back. If she wants the carpets hoovered - that and a whole flat clean she should have the budgeted for in her associated costs. In fact I don't get why landlords don't do this before every tenant exchange! I feel its THEIR responsibility.

If she starts being funny point out to her that she has broken the law and if she tries to keep any of your deposit you will take her to court and the judge will have a very dim view of her entering the property without permission. Fair wear and tear has to be given and you do not have to leave the property sparkling clean just the state it was in when you moved in.

She can't make you have them cleaned (unless its in the agreement that she had them done at the start) unless they are stained and not the same as the start (taking into account fair wear and tear )

Dispute it

She has gone in without permission ??? Then that's a checkout invalidated and full deposit refund to you .. Your deposit is protected she can't deduct without your agreement

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->