Latest CC/CIO Study? What's everyones thoughts?

I guess I have it engrained in my skull that all the good articles are locked away in libraries and university databases. :haha:

But you're right, you can pick anything apart. Be very selective of what you choose to read/believe is essentially what I was trying to say. :thumbup:

Yes, babies cry for a reason, be it to be soothed/comforted or because they are hungry or scared. It may not seem like a reason to us, but to them it is.

^^ Completely agree - to me, babies emotional needs are just as important as their physical needs. As an adult how awful do you feel if you've ever cried yourself to sleep? :nope:

When I have cried to sleep in the past I've had a headache and felt sick. That's probably how babies feel to, but with far less understanding of what's going on.

Sometimes babies are crying because they just want to go to sleep but they don't know how. I dont agree with letting them cry bloody murder, but whining and fussing I think is ok. I truly believe that once they are a bit older we do them a disservice by responding to every little cry or whimper. It doesnt give them the chance to learn to self soothe and become good sleepers on their own

Quitr happy to see this. I have done a bit of this but then had to stop as lo was unwell. Thinking of starting again next week. I've tried everything else and it really is a last resort. I'm starting to feel depressed because of the lack of sleep, and lo is often grouchy and tired. Neither of those can be good for her, so something needs to change. I hate doing it but can't see another way, so it's nice to see a study tat doesn't demonise parents who try the method.

Scientist have discovered that....

People will believe anything when you say 'Scientists have discovered ....'

HAHAHAHA :thumbup:

I think that probably as with ANYTHING that it is subject to interpretation and that judgement probably is an end result of that interpretation. I for instance have a VERY different idea of what "CC" is vs "CIO" -- One is absolutely more acceptable to me than the other... based purely on my understanding / interpretation / definition of them both. They are NOT the same thing at all in my mind.

Also open to interpretation is what each mother considers "Leaving the baby to cry" is ....what does "crying" mean in this instance? Mild fussing? Hysterical tantrums? Where do you draw the line exactly? One mother's understanding of leaving the baby to "cry" may drastically differ from another mother's... and that's where it gets really tricky and problematic. One mother may think its "hysterical tantrums" and that is absolutely unacceptable (And I'd agree) -- Another mother may think leaving the baby to "cry" means leaving it when its mildly fussing and think its absolutely acceptable (Again, I'd probably agree depending entirely on the age) ...now you've got two mom's, both of whom probably agree more than they realize, one saying "Its fine" and another one saying "Its not fine" and they're basing their statements off an entirely different definition or understanding of what "CIO" is.

For me and my baby girl, CIO currently is not for us. For one I strongly feel she is far too young. Even when I have to go pee right now if she starts to fuss, the crying escalates to near hysterics by the time I'm done and can get to her... because she cries, that's her only method of communication and she is laying there, she can't move, she can't get up and look for me, she has no idea where I am, she has no idea if I'm coming back, yes its very stressful for her! I try to keep her at least within earshot so I can talk to her, but words are not the same as a cuddle.

I'm open minded enough though that I am not going to "write it off" entirely as something that I may end up using in the future. If I do, it will be an absolute last resort, because I would really like to try alternative methods first. This is another area where people get touchy... I'm willing to bet there's a lot of mums who say "CIO worked for us" -- When they say that it doesn't mean they didn't try anything else first. Maybe it was a last resort for them too. :shrug:

I'd also like to share a few links that my mom found & sent me which I'm VERY happy to read as well...

Basically the jist of these two is that it isn't the "technique" that is important so much as "when" you try to work on sleep training

https://www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/02/the-secret-to-training-kids-to-sleep/

https://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2010/07/when-to-sleep-train-and-when-not-to.html

https://elcaminopediatrics.com/helping-your-two-month-old-develop-wonderful-sleep-habits

Scientist have discovered that....

People will believe anything when you say 'Scientists have discovered ....'

HAHAHAHA :thumbup:

I think that probably as with ANYTHING that it is subject to interpretation and that judgement probably is an end result of that interpretation. I for instance have a VERY different idea of what "CC" is vs "CIO" -- One is absolutely more acceptable to me than the other... based purely on my understanding / interpretation / definition of them both. They are NOT the same thing at all in my mind.

Also open to interpretation is what each mother considers "Leaving the baby to cry" is ....what does "crying" mean in this instance? Mild fussing? Hysterical tantrums? Where do you draw the line exactly? One mother's understanding of leaving the baby to "cry" may drastically differ from another mother's... and that's where it gets really tricky and problematic. One mother may think its "hysterical tantrums" and that is absolutely unacceptable (And I'd agree) -- Another mother may think leaving the baby to "cry" means leaving it when its mildly fussing and think its absolutely acceptable (Again, I'd probably agree depending entirely on the age) ...now you've got two mom's, both of whom probably agree more than they realize, one saying "Its fine" and another one saying "Its not fine" and they're basing their statements off an entirely different definition or understanding of what "CIO" is.

For me and my baby girl, CIO currently is not for us. For one I strongly feel she is far too young. Even when I have to go pee right now if she starts to fuss, the crying escalates to near hysterics by the time I'm done and can get to her... because she cries, that's her only method of communication and she is laying there, she can't move, she can't get up and look for me, she has no idea where I am, she has no idea if I'm coming back, yes its very stressful for her! I try to keep her at least within earshot so I can talk to her, but words are not the same as a cuddle.

I'm open minded enough though that I am not going to "write it off" entirely as something that I may end up using in the future. If I do, it will be an absolute last resort, because I would really like to try alternative methods first. This is another area where people get touchy... I'm willing to bet there's a lot of mums who say "CIO worked for us" -- When they say that it doesn't mean they didn't try anything else first. Maybe it was a last resort for them too. :shrug:

Well put!

Gosh...havent read through (too tired after a long day) but I just dont see how 5 years is considered 'long term'. How on earth?! What a dumb study! I personally don't choose to CIO or CC. I really dont think its necessary. I have three, who had all sorts of varying sleep habits, and yes, with one, it WAS work, rubbing her back, sitting in the room, but it was worth every second. I just dont think letting a small child cry is the only way to teach children new habits or behaviour. Security, love, compassion, empathy.... Anyways....I dont care if others do CC (Im against CIO), but, for me....no. Even if a 'scientist' from the other side of he world said so (or across the street for that matter). I have a brain to do my own thinking.

I don't need a book/article/study to tell me what my heart already knows - that CC/CIO is not for us.

My son used to wake every hour or two all night until we made the decision to co sleep. He slept all night and has continued to do so even while sick or teething. I am SO glad we didn't sleep train. There was obviously an emotional need there and I hate to think what it would have been like for him had I ignored that and let him CIO :(

I immediately disregard anything which starts with "scientists say" because it generally is either badly studied or badly reported. This particular piece of science tends to back up my own thoughts on it but I'll give it the same sceptical answer that I give any study which disagrees with my own thoughts - it is pretty much impossible to scientifically prove this kind of thing because there are so many influencing factors which you can't adjust a study for.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with leaving a baby to whinge or cry before sleep, sometimes it is entirely necessary and if you have a child that tends to cry over things then this is no different. I know our daughter cried before sleep and if we lifted her to comfort her she cried harder and longer. If you have a child who is generally more settled and is crying, then lifting them is probably the better thing to do.

The important factor is that you do what is right for your family and your child. I don't believe in any situation that it is harmful to a child and it certainly doesn't lead to the brain damage that other "studies" have tried to say. If you feel comfortable doing it, you should and if you don't, you shouldn't. I can't believe it is such a contentious issue on parenting forums, and for people to suggest it is child abuse is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->