Latest CC/CIO Study? What's everyones thoughts?

Both my husband and I could never do it, but I can't stand it when people judge mothers for doing it if their child is over six months. It's nice that this thread has stayed civil. :flower:

I'm going to have to say you have to do what feels right. If I left my baby to cry and felt guilty, there is probably a reason I feel guilty and wouldn't be right for us.

Also, thought it was quite funny this article was linked in the middle of the original article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...left-to-cry-feel-stressed-research-finds.html

I noticed this! Talk about contradicting!

It links that article because it's related to the original article.
The original article says that it specifically refutes it:

"Their findings, published in the journal Pediatrics, appear to contradict those of another recent study suggesting that babies who are left to cry could feel “stressed” even after they settle down."

It's still contradicting. :shrug:

I think we could find articles/research for or against anything we want to on the internet.

To be honest, I think it's all these studies that I don't agree with. Some kids just whinge, others only cry when something's actually wrong. It's up to each individual parent to decide what to do.

I leave Julian to 'fuss', but as soon as he starts crying, he gets picked up. I just can't leave him to cry- not yet anyway- as much as I wish I could sometimes! I hate him crying, and I couldn't stand leaving him like it, especially if I knew just cuddling him would stop him being in a state. Personally, I don't agree with CIO. I do think that babies don't necessarily need picking up all the time- sometimes just stroking them will make them feel more comforted. But I just couldn't leave a baby to cry; the sound just breaks my heart.

Babies definitely do cry for a reason and sometimes that reason can be that they are just too tired and want to sleep. If gentle methods of getting them to sleep (e.g. feeding, rocking, singing, co-sleeping etc.) aren't working then surely you should try something else, rather than have them suffer from lack of sleep. When Maria was at her worst she was suffering, she needed to sleep more but couldn't. Nowadays even though her sleep is still shit, she gets enough and isn't suffering (as she is generally happy throughout the day and not grumpy like she used to be when she was tired all the time)

I dunno, whats worse? Letting your baby cry or letting them suffer through lack of sleep? They both have negative effects on the child, you just have to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Lack of sleep for my little girl every day, to be left to cry (for her, not talking about other peoples children here) would be far too much for her to take.

And with Lily I'm looking into the reasons why she can't sleep and doing something about it, rather than just leaving her to cry.

But what if they are crying much more because they are tired and can't sleep? Maria would cry and scream in a horrible manner while trying to get out of my arms while I rocked her to sleep or stroked her lying down and it could last for hours every day/night. It was the same while rocking her in the pram for her naps. I felt just as horrible, maybe worse, doing that as I did trying CC. Parenting is hard :(

Babies definitely do cry for a reason and sometimes that reason can be that they are just too tired and want to sleep. If gentle methods of getting them to sleep (e.g. feeding, rocking, singing, co-sleeping etc.) aren't working then surely you should try something else, rather than have them suffer from lack of sleep. When Maria was at her worst she was suffering, she needed to sleep more but couldn't. Nowadays even though her sleep is still shit, she gets enough and isn't suffering (as she is generally happy throughout the day and not grumpy like she used to be when she was tired all the time)

I dunno, whats worse? Letting your baby cry or letting them suffer through lack of sleep? They both have negative effects on the child, you just have to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Lack of sleep for my little girl every day, to be left to cry (for her, not talking about other peoples children here) would be far too much for her to take.

And with Lily I'm looking into the reasons why she can't sleep and doing something about it, rather than just leaving her to cry.

But what if they are crying much more because they are tired and can't sleep? Maria would cry and scream in a horrible manner while trying to get out of my arms while I rocked her to sleep or stroked her lying down and it could last for hours every day/night. It was the same while rocking her in the pram for her naps. I felt just as horrible, maybe worse, doing that as I did trying CC. Parenting is hard :(

This exactly. My LO gets overstimulated and holding or rocking her makes it worse. She will scream until she passes out. CC is the best thing for her. I've had many people disagree with that, but not a single person can give me an alternative solution. If you're anti CC/CIO in all cases then fine, but you've clearly never had a baby like mine or PP's. In our case, it would be far more cruel to continue to upset them.

I understand that we're programmed to not want our infants to cry. I'm curious, do those of you who are anti crying vaccinate? Because my LO screams her head off every time. However, I do it anyway because it's what is best for her. That's the same principle behind CC.

I didn't read the article because I take offense to calling a baby "it".

It's still contradicting. :shrug:

I think we could find articles/research for or against anything we want to on the internet.

It's meant to be.....that's the point! It's a study trying to contradict the other one.

I agree internet research is kind of a joke. I could find anything to support any claim I could ever come up with :lol:

Scientist have discovered that....

People will believe anything when you say 'Scientists have discovered ....'

It seems there is new 'research' out all the time espically published in tabloids like the daily mail (although i do this this is not them) which always contradicts each other.

How us mothers are ever meant to know what truly best for a child is beyond me!

I think CC/CIO is a very personal choice, and only as a mother will you know if it right for you and your child.

Also hate how the articles refers to children at 'it'...it a person (albeit a small one!)

Attachments

• 393368_364704673605034_1095633996_n.jpg
    393368_364704673605034_1095633996_n.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 8
Its all a balance. What makes a happy child is love undoubtedly, but just as much as a child requires food, air and water to survive, a child MUST sleep. I chose to gently sleep train my daughter and she was SO much happier after learning how to self settle. She slept better so woke happier which made her eat more, play more, develop faster and enjoy life more!
A few minutes of crying reasonably young (I started at 6 months) at the start of the night and just before naps vs crying out of exhaustion and over stimulation for YEARS (in the toddlers section there are people still having this issue) and I weighed up what was beneficial for her, and being GENTLY sleep trained then has saved us aggressively sleep training now.

I see more evidence against than a few mums saying their babies are fine after it.... make an informed decision, it decreases the chances of regret.

I see more evidence against than a few mums saying their babies are fine after it.... make an informed decision, it decreases the chances of regret.

I've actually never seen good evidence from either side. There are studies for and against, but not one study that I've seen has been done well enough to draw a concrete conclusion. There are experts on both sides too. I'm not saying don't research it, I'm saying that I don't think it has been studied enough for science to outweigh a mother's intuition about what's right for her baby. If there were studies that were concrete, they would be done on a large group of babies and the outcome could be duplicated. This hasn't happened yet on either side.

I've actually never seen good evidence from either side. There are studies for and against, but not one study that I've seen has been done well enough to draw a concrete conclusion. There are experts on both sides too. I'm not saying don't research it, I'm saying that I don't think it has been studied enough for science to outweigh a mother's intuition about what's right for her baby. If there were studies that were concrete, they would be done on a large group of babies and the outcome could be duplicated. This hasn't happened yet on either side.
I dont need large studies to tell me whats right and wrong though, If I feel its wrong and made up my mind on my own esteem I then wont do it. Its the same argument about near everything parenting, people looking studies to prove something when you really dont need them if you made your mind up after using your instincts or researching. Which ever way you go.

I dont need large studies to tell me whats right and wrong though, If I feel its wrong and made up my mind on my own esteem I then wont do it. Its the same argument about near everything parenting, people looking studies to prove something when you really dont need them if you made your mind up after using your instincts or researching. Which ever way you go.

I agree with you there. It's just that women's intuition say different things. Who are we to say whose mother's intuition is right and whose is wrong?

I agree that this is something no amount of research in either direction would sway my opinion on. But I do believe some people look towards research to try to make an educated decision, and unfortunately I haven't seen any linked on this forum that are really 'proving' anything at all, whether it be for/against CIO.

If anyone is looking for studies or research done on it, look for peer-reviewed articles in medical/psychology journals. Most of these probably won't be just floating about on the internet or printed in a tabloid. I haven't looked it up myself so I haven't got any idea what you'll find, but it'll at least be more credible than studies you'll find just browsing the web.

I agree with you there. It's just that women's intuition say different things. Who are we to say whose mother's intuition is right and whose is wrong?

Exactly this, no ones right and no ones wrong and in the meantime neither are hurting their babies.

I agree that this is something no amount of research in either direction would sway my opinion on. But I do believe some people look towards research to try to make an educated decision, and unfortunately I haven't seen any linked on this forum that are really 'proving' anything at all, whether it be for/against CIO.

If anyone is looking for studies or research done on it, look for peer-reviewed articles in medical/psychology journals. Most of these probably won't be just floating about on the internet or printed in a tabloid. I haven't looked it up myself so I haven't got any idea what you'll find, but it'll at least be more credible than studies you'll find just browsing the web.

Interesting that all those posted are normally summaries of PR studies which this actually was. But ALL studies can be picked apart, I waa taught to do this at Masters level. Anything from methodology, null, control group, participants heck you can even critique economy/recession as a factor in studies. However I am more likely to actually look at and accept that it's a possibility on a pr study than a study written by someone who is a either a sleep trainer nor an avid pro attachment parent writer, it's just too biased.

I edit to say you can find a lot of these studies in journals which can now be accessed on the Internet.

Also, thought it was quite funny this article was linked in the middle of the original article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...left-to-cry-feel-stressed-research-finds.html

Lol, that's what I thought. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"