Leaving Uni

Purpular

Reaction score
Well. I've weighed up all the options, spoke to my OH and worried myself silly.We've both decided that since I'm really not happy (to the point of dead inside) battling on with the studying wont get me anywhere.

So, now I need to decide what to do with my life. Bring on the career! So who has some ideas for what I can do? I have 7 A levels in geeky subjects - maths, sciences and english with As and Bs and I'd ideally like to do something to do with maths or science. This aint that likely though as the only experience I have is admin work, running a pet products company and being a cub leader.

Help!

I suppose you could do forensics if your interested in that stuff. You obviously have no experience in that area but as you have run a company regardless of what it was then it shows that you are a good leader and work well within a team unit. Paperwork would be involved with forensics so admin work would come in there. But darling whatever you want to do, you could do. You got some good grades and although they may be in 'geeky' subjects they are what people hiring you look at first..the essentials! Good Luck x.x

hey hun!

I'm sorry to hear that your feeling like this! unfortunately I know exactly how you feel I hate uni to the max. It depresses me so much, to the point i cry whenever i think of exams or certain parts of the course. seeming as i've only got a year left I may as well stick with it. :(

I'd suggest you pop down to the local careers office or job centre, as you have really good GCSE's and A-Level subjects. I think that your experience as a secretary may help you as well! do you have any ideas what you want to do at all?

Sorry I can not be of more help, but I wish you the best of luck in what you choose!
xxx

I'm sorry you feel this way. What aspects do you hate?

I hated my first year, and transferred to a nicer one and was much happier.

Jen xxx

Maybe your doing the wrong course?
I have hated most of my time at uni, but now I'm nearly all done I am so glad I've stuck at it. After all, it's only three years and it's over.

I do get how soul destroying it can be though.

What about swapping courses to something more interesting?

I was hating my degree a few months ago but once I started studying harder I began to like it more.

What subject are you doing?

If I'm honest I just think it's the wrong thing for me.

I've given it 3 good goes and tried changing both the course and the actual uni. It's just not happening! I can't really understand it though. I've always been the kind of person who did well academically and everyone expected me to do well at university. Maybe the thing is I've never had to try right up to my A levels so I'm not sure how any more.

I'm doing maths as well so it's not the kind of thing you can do half arsed and I think I've already missed enough to get a guaranteed fail for this year.

Purpular, I feel the exact same way, it's crazy! I did really well school and I've always gotten straight A's all my life, and I've tried different universities and changed programs, but I really can't do it anymore. I hate university!!!

I don't have any advice hun but just wanted to wish you luck x

I'm struggling my way through my final year at uni atm! I just can't find the motivation anymore. It doesn't help that h2b and I are struggling for money and surviving is more important to me than my course atm! I came so close to giving it all up at the start of my 2nd year but on the whole I'm really enjoying myself and am really looking forward to graduation!!

It entirely depends on you though. If you're unhappy it's the right decision. I wish you all the luck in the worldwith whatever you decide to do next!

Beca:wave:

Purpular, I feel the exact same way, it's crazy! I did really well school and I've always gotten straight A's all my life, and I've tried different universities and changed programs, but I really can't do it anymore. I hate university!!!

So what are you doing at the moment? Sticking it out or leaving? Do you mind if I ask how old you are cos you sound in a really similar situation (and Im nosy!)

So what are you doing at the moment? Sticking it out or leaving? Do you mind if I ask how old you are cos you sound in a really similar situation (and Im nosy!)

I'm 22, turning 23 shortly. I'm most likely going to finish this semester since it's paid for already, but I doubt I'll go back... unless the burning desire to finish university comes over me. I dread studying, like reallllllly dread it!! I go to school with my feet dragging. My passion is not in it anymore :(

I'm hoping to start TTC shortly and fall pregnant before September. If I'm not pregnant by then, then I'm afraid I might have to go as it would be my final year.

I'm 22, turning 23 shortly. I'm most likely going to finish this semester since it's paid for already, but I doubt I'll go back... unless the burning desire to finish university comes over me. I dread studying, like reallllllly dread it!! I go to school with my feet dragging. My passion is not in it anymore :(

I'm hoping to start TTC shortly and fall pregnant before September. If I'm not pregnant by then, then I'm afraid I might have to go as it would be my final year.

Awr hun! Im in a similar situation, im about to finish 2nd year uni, and I hate my course so much! I really want to do midwifery, although its looking like the 2009 courses are all full up. so this means i'll be starting 2010. I've been advised to continue with my current degree, despite the fact that i reallly hate it!! I actually cant stand the course and studying makes me cry because i just don't enjoy the content. i know that if i found something I enjoyed, i would do well.

So sorry your feeling like this. :hugs:

xxx

I was exactly the same. I did really well academically without trying through GCSEs & A levels, then went to uni & hated it. It made my life miserable to the point where I couldnt face getting up in the morning. It affected me so much that I had to go on anti-depressants. I was really homesick as well & missed hubby so much so ended up moving back home & commuting to uni (1 hr 30 mins journey each way) That improved the homesickness but didnt stop me hating uni. Anyway, I managed to stick it out with the help of brilliant family & friends & now I am so glad I did. I have a much better life now that I would have done if I'd dropped out. I'm also really proud of myself for what I achieved. I know exactly how you feel and only you know the right decision for you but stick with it if you can-it will be worth it in the end.

Hey! Sorry to hear you're this unhappy at uni. I was in a similar situation 3 years ago. I really really (REALLY!) hated the first two years of my undergraduate course. Well, in my main subject anyway. Unfortunately that was the one that interested me, despite the crap lectures and soul-destroying course work. So I stuck with it and lo and behold it got better in 3rd year. Now I'm actually doing a PhD in that very same subject. All I want to say by that is: It can change and you might find later years more interesting.

I also get from your post that you have a lot of anxiety about not doing well enough? For that I have some suggestions as well:
Nr1: Study Groups! Probably the single most useful thing you can do to improve your learning and make it more fun at the same time.
Nr2: Your uni's "learning service" or similar. There's bound to be people that can help you getting into having to study again. (I was the same in the beginning. Never had to study at school and then didn't know how to do it best and especially how to motivate myself)
Nr3: Make a plan. Look into what you could do later on if you stick with uni and if you find something you like (and that hopefully pays you a nice wage) then remind yourself that you're at uni to get there whenever you feel like running away.

Of course I don't know if uni really is for you. But if you're finishing this semester then you might as well give these things a go and see how you feel come summer! You could always also look for a part time job so that uni isn't the only thing to think about and so you can see if you'd be happier just working somewhere.

Best of luck whatever you decide. Oh and you may not feel like that at the moment but YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU SET YOUR MIND TO! Go get them! ;o)

Aww hunni i am sending you big :hug:

Everything happens for a reason and it might be the start of a new career hange for you! hehe
x

My course was reducing me to tears a few weeks ago to the point I started going crazy and throwing the books around :rofl:

Hiya hunny

I feel totally the same, i hate my course and the thought of going to uni in the morning in literally heartbreaking for me haha

Im sticking it out though until the end of the year so its not wasted.

Is there nobody to speak to, a university mentor or councillor to help? xx

Maybe the thing is I've never had to try right up to my A levels so I'm not sure how any more.

Hey guys, am going to say something that will probably want to make you punch me, but I'll duck!

If university degrees were meant to be easy then everyone would have one. They are meant to be hard!! That's what employers look for - people that have not only intelligence, but also tenacity, self discipline, organisation and above all an ability to stick things out!

(I dropped out after 6 months of my BA English Lit - I was getting C's & 'Ds when I had been used to getting A's & B's and that was a big ego blow! I went back to Uni at 21 and did a BSc in Psych.) I will soon be starting a role doing Assessment and Care Planning with Learning Difficulties and have also worked within Social Inclusion & Supported Employment (Mental Health) which I wouldn't have been able to do without my degree due to its relevance to my work. I often wonder if I'd be doing less interesting jobs without it!

Do you have a course tutor or mentor?

Amygdala offers some really useful ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->