letting a baby crie?

I've known moms that use CIO and have let their babies cry for an hour or more.

:shock: Without even checking on them??

I agree, 6 weeks is way too young for any kind of CIO or controlled crying method (I know some people say there isn't a difference). At that age they can't be spoiled and need the reassurance of a response to their cries.

We resorted to controlled crying at about 4 months when Aisling stopped falling asleep on the boob and I tried and failed with all other methods of getting her to sleep for the night. I'd let her whinge/moan for 5-10 minutes before going in to her but once proper crying started I'd go in pretty much straight away, I can't bear the thought of her being upset like that all on her own :nope: For the most part now she settles herself off to sleep straight away. The odd night like last night it took 90 minutes of her crying on and off to go to sleep and this involved an extra just in case nappy change and BF! :dohh:

Leyla quite often just wants a cuddle when she cries and if we leave her (for even a minute while I dry my hands or whatever) she just cries worse and then it's harder to calm her down so I wouldn't do CIO at her age (just over three months). I suppose I'd probably cry if my hubby wouldn't give me a cuddle when I wanted one :haha:

I've known moms that use CIO and have let their babies cry for an hour or more.

:shock: Without even checking on them??

Yep. These moms just figured, they're clean, fed, not hurt... no reason to be crying and they need to go down for a nap. And figured they had to learn sometime. One talked about how hard it was to hear her cry for that long and force herself not to go get her. I never understood why she forced herself to let the baby cry -- esp at 4 weeks old. :nope:

I let my LO fuss a bit, too. If I know he is tired and needs sleep and everything else is good, then I will let him grunt and groan and moan a bit (what I call fussing). But if he starts real crying, I attend to it. I am hoping that he gets better and better at falling off this way, so I don't have to eventually go full CIO. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->