letting people hold your baby?

mum2b2009

mummy of two boys!
Reaction score
hi ladies a quick question! Do you let other people hold your baby? like OH family or friends that you have never met? i find myself not wanting them to hold him but people always ask to hold a baby don't they so i feel i have to! anyone else the same? or me being silly x

No i didnt/dont.

Close family yeah no worries but people i havent met nope. But saying that now that Alex is older he doesnt want to be held all the time

this woman who my mum knows asked to hold liam today she is really dirty her hands and nails are brown and yellow from how much she smokes and i doubt she washed her hands all day but i couldnt just say er no u skanky cow come back when u have had a bath! even tho i wanted 2! she kept touching his face and every time she did i wanted to cry! Its hard tho as what can you say if you dont want someone to hold ur child!

You can just say that you have just got the baby settled and dont want to disturb him,

Yes, I allow it for the most part. There was only one time I thought I had to "rescue" him from someone. It was at DH's Work Xmas party and suddenly this lady had him and she appeared all cracked out our something! :shock: I was convinced she was going to drop him or hurt him or something! I just walked up to her and stood very close and she quickly got the hint and handed LO to me. Whew.

Other than that, I don't worry too much. As long as people look safe and clean and are someone that is known to me, DH, or another close friend/family member, I allow it. I figure it helps LO get used to people anyway.

The only other time I put a stop to it is if LO is getting overstimulated or overtired. Obviously his comfort and well being comes first. :thumbup:

Yeah, i let people hold her all the time, she loves the cuddles and i want people to see how gorgeous she is! My sister never let anyone hold her babies and i hated it :-( felt i missed out on my nephews baby time because it was all look dont touch! And as everyone knows babies aren't that interesting to look at at the beginning lol.

The only time i dont let people hold her is if they are ill!

You can just say that you have just got the baby settled and dont want to disturb him,

I expect i would of said that but he just woke up when she came over to see him...it was great timing!

wen luisa was newborn i wouldnt let people hold her! but that was down to my pnd..

now she is bigger she often doesnt want strangers holding her so no worries!

xx

Yes - I let people hold LO!!! He is such a cutie I want to show him off LOL - plus I don't want the only person he ever interacts with to be me - how boring!
xx

I was alot more sensative when he was small and couldn't hold his head up, but now I'm quite happy for family and friends to hold him. It is so awkward when people ask though isn't it. I've just said in the past " he's been a bit grumpy recently, so probably better if you don't, maybe next time" I know its a cop out, but hey it works!

i use my instinct and don't let anyone hold my baby if i don't want them to. Whether they ask or not, but i do feel awkward in those situations

I never used to let people hold Kaya. I would just say 'sorry, I'm a bit of a nervous mother'.

I let LO go to anyone who wants to hold him. I don't mind as long as they're competent looking and was told by friends of ours that the more we get him used to as many different faces as possible, the better he will be with people! I love showing him off too :)

I am not to fond of him being passed around people i know but i bite my lip and think it will benefit LO later on.. and most likely will harden me up too LOL

I hate anyone but my OH, gran or mum holding her.

If anyone else does,(including OH's family) I have to bite my lip. I duno what it is. I'm very possesive!

I'm quite happy for Evie to be held by my friends and family. I think it's important for her to meet and interact with as many people as possible :) As for complete strangers, I would draw the line. I wouldnt expect to receive cuddles from strangers so why should my baby? :)

Yuppers. I have a relative whose children are 2 and 4ish and she still doesn't like for people to hold her children. I like for my LO to get comfortable with all types of people. He's a really friendly baby and he loves to interact with others. However, if he weren't comfortable I wouldn't just pass him off. His comfort would be my only concern with others.

I had a huge problem with this when Connah was first born and i still do actually.
It doesn't make you silly though,i now tell people no if they ask and i dont want them to :D x

Oh. And I will say I've asked people to wash their hands or remove a jacket...even family, especially smokers.

i had a straner try and snatch her from me :-( i was furious i dont mind other people holding her but oh family is over bearing theywud litterally just snatch her of me every 5 mins i hated it drove me insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->