Lifting other kids

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
So I've got an opportunity to take care of two kids full time until I have the baby if I choose to do so. One is 3 1/2 and one is 2. My mother is freaking out telling me not to do it because the 2 year old still needs to be lifted to and from his crib for naps. He's a big boy, but I can't imagine he's really too much to lift. How much is too much?

I lifted my 4 year old niece while I was down for Christmas, she didn't weigh that much at all and it didn't seem to cause any problems.

I lift my 3 1/2 year old still... he weighs 40lbs, but my doctor says it's fine cause i am used to it and was doing it before I got pregnant. Maybe just ask your doctor just to be safe.

I work at a daycare and take care of 6 1-2 year olds, I have to lift them in an out of the table. I've had no problems so far. I think as long as your careful on how you pick them up and not strain it should be fine.

When I was pregnant with my second my daughter was 9 months and was about 17 months when I was towards the end of my pregnancy. I had no choice but to pick her up.

Truthfully, what do other mothers do when they are pregnant and have other younger children? They really have no choice.

Even now, once in awhile I will pick them up and give them a huge hug or if they are hurt.

When I was pregnant with my second my daughter was 9 months and was about 17 months when I was towards the end of my pregnancy. I had no choice but to pick her up.

Truthfully, what do other mothers do when they are pregnant and have other younger children? They really have no choice.

Even now, once in awhile I will pick them up and give them a huge hug or if they are hurt.

That is EXACTLY what I told my mom. She's more paranoid than I am.

That is EXACTLY what I told my mom. She's more paranoid than I am.

Honey, you will be fine. Just make sure you do it in a proper manner. Not saying that I heed that advice all the time though.

:hugs:

I lift my son when needed, hes 2 1/2 and weighs nearly 3 stone (42 lbs) and is very tall. And I've been fine. I've also moved sofa and chairs around and they're alot heavier.

Lots of people have more then one child, and they need to lift them. So I dont see how it would be any different.

i would say as long as ur not suffering from backache and take it easy u will be fine. i worked in day care and had to stop lifting purely because i was getting bad backache and mangers and docs didnt want me to damage myself x

I still pick my 3 year old up and also the 2 year old that I look after up so I'd say it's fine. I picked up the little girl I looked after while pregnant with Faith and was fine too. Mind you I'm abit naughty at times anyway, last night my OH told me off for pushing a motorbike engine that was in a box across the garage as it was in my way! tut tut of me x

Well my mom went and told the woman that I'm pregnant and the little boy is too heavy for me to lift (after I told her I'd take the job), so now the mother doesn't want me to hurt myself and won't let me babysit.

Apparently, I'm the one that needs a babysitter in my mom's eyes. :mad:

Is your mom going to pay for all your bills too for the next two years while your finishing your courses and having your baby?

I would freak if my mom interferred like that.

Well my mom went and told the woman that I'm pregnant and the little boy is too heavy for me to lift (after I told her I'd take the job), so now the mother doesn't want me to hurt myself and won't let me babysit.

Apparently, I'm the one that needs a babysitter in my mom's eyes. :mad:

Oh no! So tell me, what would she do if you became pregnant again after this and had to lift your younger one?

Well, hon, I guess you can say she cares and loves you and the baby too! :hug:

(The joys at living at home again, huh?)

Is your mom going to pay for all your bills too for the next two years while your finishing your courses and having your baby?

I would freak if my mom interferred like that.

Yeah, we had a freak out session :hissy:

She sounds like my OH's mum. If I as much as life a bag of tatties I get shouted at by her. I'm glad I only see her once/twice a month!!!!

I think you know yourself what ur limit is. My friend has a 2yr old boy, and i lifted him the other week, and striaght away knew i couldnt hold him for long. I felt it in my back and even my stomach, so just put him down

I think as long as you arent putting urself under strain u will be o.k

I think you know yourself what ur limit is. My friend has a 2yr old boy, and i lifted him the other week, and striaght away knew i couldnt hold him for long. I felt it in my back and even my stomach, so just put him down

I think as long as you arent putting urself under strain u will be o.k

Saying that though, I found my son heavy to lift before pregnancy too. They weigh alot when they become toddlers, that's why I only lift him if I have to. AKA to bed (if he's not co-operating) and if he's missbehaving in town.

When i was pregnant with my 3rd my other 2 were 1, and 2. I used to push my 1 year old in her pram, and carry my 2 year old on my back. That was while heavily pregnant, and whilst i wouldn't advise it, it caused me no real problem.
By the way, when you have your baby, you'll realise a mothers job is to worry. Bless her!!

I'm still lifting my nearly 3 year old :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->