listening to hv?

L

Laura--x

I know people always says hv's talk crap and you shouldnt really listen to them with everything they say..

When i took Maisie to clinic on wednesday she had gained a pound in a month. She went down on the chart even though she didnt loose any weight?

I told her i started giving her a bit of baby rice and she was a bit shocked? She asked me if i knew you wernt supposed to introduce solids untill 6 months, but when i told her her feeding patters and that i was advised too last time i came, she said ok.

I asked her what i do for the next stage, eg give her more baby rice of a lunch time, or start to introduce another meal or another food ect? And she told me to just stay on the baby rice untill 6 months if possible?

Maisies really getting the hand of weaning now and opens her mouth for the food and finishes it all ( 1tsp.. about 5/6 mouthfuls ) and finishes her 7oz bottle.

I dont really know what to do next, because shes finishing it all and enjoying it now do i start to give her more? Can i introduce a few more flavours now or is it best to keep to the baby rice so she gets used to the 'bland' tastes?

Im pretty clueless :dohh:

Keep to baby rice. It isn't too long untill 6 months now :)

Start on the purees I say :) I started Amelie at the same age as you started Maisie and she's been great at eating. Every baby is an individual and she sounds ready. Try her with some carrot or sweet potato with formula milk mixed in to make it quite runny.

I started with purees too hon, about a week or so later than Maisie. I haven't really held back, it's been all vege purees but combinations of veg etc and fruit. She's doing really well with it and is enjoying it so I'm not bothered about sticking to baby rice for 6 months.

maybe try mixing a small home made puree with her baby rice?

thts what i did :)

Yep I agree start adding some puree fruit or veg into it, I weaned my son early and he's a fantastic little healthy eater now :D

I gave purees at that age, if she is enjoying it and not fussy then go for it. In canada they recommend weaning 4-6 months, none of that 6 month crap... (well some still do but its old news)

I'm really for weaning at 6mo if possible but honestly I would do the purees....I know alot of people that refuse to give their babies rice cereal because of what's in it...if you read the label (atleast ours) it has quite a bit in it, not just rice...unless you are making it yourself. I would feel more comfortable with giving sweet potato with water/breastmilk/formula then the rice cereal. I actually skipped rice cereal with Hayden at first and we did sweet potatoes, carrot then avocado...all really good FIRST foods even before cereal. I did finally find one organic brand that was actually just brown rice for the cereal and eventually gave him that but I'd do the purees

I would try some purees. Veggie ones. Have to say that my HV is great

Thanks for the replies.

So if i do sweet potatoe puree, what exactly do i do? Chop it up and pop it in the blender then add it to formula to make it quite runny? How much sweet potatoe should i use?

ya hun, just boil or steam veggies and put them in your blender. I used to just us a touch of water to make it more runny.

katie's first proper food was sweet potato. i just used a potato masher cos its that soft it goes smooth really easy. like ryder said, just steam or boil them then mush/blend! you're best doin root veg first cos its not as sweet and babies naturally will go for sweeter things if they have chance! they say give them the same food 3 days in a row just to make sure they're ok allergy wise with it before giving a new food! ask your HV about weaning talks, ours did them and it was useful just to get an idea of what they can have. altternatively, the anabel karmel books/website have loads of good info!

Purees are good Laura, try her with basic ones like apple, pear or carrot to begin with. Emily didn't like baby rice on its own so I kinda skipped that one a bit haha!

Thanks hun. Im going to go shopping monday so will get some bits then and start making my own for her.

I was sorting throughmy cupbaord and found some cow& gate creamy porridge for her. Could i give her some of that?

Do i continue just at lunch time for now or can i introduce a bit of breakfast?

xx

For sweet potato I baked them...the less contact with water the more nutrients it can retain....so I baked them until very soft then pureed them with breastmilk I had pumped..but you could do it with just water too.

Thanks hun. Im going to go shopping monday so will get some bits then and start making my own for her.

I was sorting throughmy cupbaord and found some cow& gate creamy porridge for her. Could i give her some of that?

Do i continue just at lunch time for now or can i introduce a bit of breakfast?

xx

That porridge is fine to give. I stuck to one 'meal' first and introduced more flavours first, but you will know when she is ready to ad another meal.

I started this week due to not feeding and loosing weight lily is just 17 wks and thats the min age to start...missed babyrice out as its all artificail crap imo ....This week she as eaten sweet potato for 5 days and today sweet potato and pumkin ...made by me blended ...that way i know exactly what shes eating ...if u wanna start her on puree,s then do ...make them ur self that way u know what is going into your baby xxx

I brought a sweet potatoe today so going to try her on it tomorrow.

So if i bake it ( i assume thats the best way? ) how long will it take? I usually give her the food around 12. I peel it as normal like ordinary potatoes yeah?

Sorry if it sounds stupid :S

What i did was wash it, poke holes in it with a fork, wrap each one in foil then bake on like 400 until soft...anywhere from 30min-1hr depending on the size. then the skin comes away from sweet potatoes even easier than regular potatoes, when it's cool enough to handle you can just pull it away really easily. Here is a site with almost every food you can think of, how to prepare it best for babyfood, storage, good combos, when you can introduce it.....lots of good info

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->