Little rant about ani-co-sleepers

JellyBeann

Son, Daughter, 2 Angels
Reaction score
Seriously...what is the problem some people have with co-sleeping? My Aunty told me off today because "You'll have problems getting him to sleep in his own bed" Why? I like him in the bed, I feel safer lol, I'll try and keep my mouth shut in future shall I!? x

Rant over!

I dont really tell anyone :) (mainly because of this!) I make out he stays in his own crib all night :haha:
(although OH usually ends up telling some story about him being in the bed and you can see people like MIL about to make some comment with a sour face on, so I quickly change the subject!)

well either they think you are going to kill your child (as they dont know the actual facts) or they are scornful because somehow they believe it means your baby will be in your bed forever and will be the stereotypical "spoilt brat".
Ive silenced all those who were like that round me already as my 5yr old went into his own bed just fine after over a year of cosleeping and I didnt have ONE of the sleeping issues many people have with toddlers and young children (nightmares, night waking, early morning waking, not wanting to go to bed etc) so when all the others were whinging and moaning I just sat there looking smug and dying to say "I told you so" :rofl:

Grrr some people!! Honestly there wasnt another option when Layla was smaller! She would just scream EVERY TIME I put her in her moses basket! Now she sleeps like a dream most nights and in her own bed. People should keep their mouths shut! x

I dont really tell anyone :) (mainly because of this!) I make out he stays in his own crib all night :haha:
(although OH usually ends up telling some story about him being in the bed and you can see people like MIL about to make some comment with a sour face on, so I quickly change the subject!)

Think I'm going to not tell anyone anymore, try and keep it on the shush...probs the best option really lol, will stop me biting my tongue!

well either they think you are going to kill your child (as they dont know the actual facts) or they are scornful because somehow they believe it means your baby will be in your bed forever and will be the stereotypical "spoilt brat".
Ive silenced all those who were like that round me already as my 5yr old went into his own bed just fine after over a year of cosleeping and I didnt have ONE of the sleeping issues many people have with toddlers and young children (nightmares, night waking, early morning waking, not wanting to go to bed etc) so when all the others were whinging and moaning I just sat there looking smug and dying to say "I told you so" :rofl:

Yeah, I got "he won't go in his own bed, you'll have trouble getting him to sleep on his own..."

Grrr some people!! Honestly there wasnt another option when Layla was smaller! She would just scream EVERY TIME I put her in her moses basket! Now she sleeps like a dream most nights and in her own bed. People should keep their mouths shut! x

Ollie had a tongue tie and he'd fall asleep feeding, and whenI put him in his basket, and he'd scream because he was still hungry, so instead of sitting up and falling asleep and being dangerously overtired, I just started co-sleeping, and tbh, when he's in the cot, I'm on edge cos I'm scared he'll stop breathing, but in the bed, I'm not lol, wierd I know!

I might print out little cards with facts about co-sleeping on them, and just hand em out ahahh!!

I haven't had an anti-co-sleeping rant because we only do it in the mornings sometimes but I've found with other things like weaning (waiting till 6 months and BLW) and not doing CC/CIO etc a great way to shut older people up is just to say, while laughing a bit, "Oh that's such an old fashioned way of doing things/looking at things, nobody thinks like that any more, we know better", or "Oh really? Did they tell you that 50 years ago? It's all changed now". Shuts old bags up every time cos you're basically telling them they're too old :rofl:

haha rachel, will bear that one in mind, people dont say anything to me, its only pauls family really who would and i think ive fallen out with them too many times now, they dont dare say anything bad to me :haha:

if my mam ever does say anything to me i just say yeh well im doing this, and she just laughs and says oh youre so fucking gobby haha, and we get on with our day, i think more people should be like that haha

x

OMGZ, DONT YOU KNOW THAT CO SLEEPING KILLZ UR BABIEZ???

:haha:

people just dont have a clue what they are talking about, most of the time. I had a discussion about co sleeping with a good friend the other day, i told her i planned to co sleep with my new baby and she just kept saying "oh no, no you mustnt do that, you're making a rod for your own back". i calmly explained that i was happy having baby in bed with me and that surely if mum and baby are happy with the arrangement then there's nothing to worry about, but she wouldnt accept it. Now I just choose to discuss things like that with people who i know will either understand, or at least wont judge me for my choices. Not to my face, anyway :haha:

Rest assured that you are doing what is right for you and your family. Your little baby is born expecting to be close to mum 24/7 and that continues for as long as that individual baby needs. The best thing to do would probably be to just nod and smile and change the subject when people start going on about it, but if it were me, i would probably start reeling off facts and figures and proof that co sleeping is not only safe, but safER than sleeping apart, lol. but i am an opinionated b*tch, apparently :haha:

Don't understand why people think it's their right to stick their beaks in when it comes to the way you choose to raise your own child. It's none of their damn business! I don't choose to cosleep but I don't judge people who do, just as I hope no one who cosleeps would judge me because my baby sleeps in her cot in her own room. :shrug:

I would not have had your restraint ;)

I haven't had an anti-co-sleeping rant because we only do it in the mornings sometimes but I've found with other things like weaning (waiting till 6 months and BLW) and not doing CC/CIO etc a great way to shut older people up is just to say, while laughing a bit, "Oh that's such an old fashioned way of doing things/looking at things, nobody thinks like that any more, we know better", or "Oh really? Did they tell you that 50 years ago? It's all changed now". Shuts old bags up every time cos you're basically telling them they're too old :rofl:

I'm evil, I love using comebacks like these! Nobody likes to think that they are gullible, or out of touch!

haha rachel, will bear that one in mind, people dont say anything to me, its only pauls family really who would and i think ive fallen out with them too many times now, they dont dare say anything bad to me :haha:

if my mam ever does say anything to me i just say yeh well im doing this, and she just laughs and says oh youre so fucking gobby haha, and we get on with our day, i think more people should be like that haha

x

Me and my mum are like that too! She says, "oh you are so lippy" and I say "yeah I get it from you"... Once I told her she'd had her turn at screwing up the whole parenting thing, and now please could she get out of the pool and let me screw it up in my own way.... It's much harder with MIL cos she is lovely and very well meaning so I don't want to upset her :)

im not anti-co sleeping, i Dont disagree with folks who do to each there own im not gonna tell someone how they should be raising the children but i wont be doing it.my mother had an extremely hard time getting me to sleep in my own room,after i'd been sleeping with her. i would scream the place down every night i would scream so loud and for so long our neighbors called CPS on her bc they thought i was being beat! my mother told her what was happening that she was trying to get me to sleep in my own bed and ask if i was still sleeping in bed with her would she get in trouble the CPS lady said yes bc its consider child abuse.. now mind you that was some years ago i believe i was around 1 years old and this was in the USA. dont know if its truly consider child abuse by law now a days or what. i dont believe its child abuse neither does my mother thats just what she was told by law it was. i really dont know if it holds any truth. :shrug: anyone heard that at a certain age if ur kids are still in bed with you its consider child abuse?

1yr is still very young. I think most people who co-sleep let the baby move when hes ready to, in which case you have no crying and screaming. I don't know about what the law states is child abuse in the US regarding bed sharing, but that is a pretty bl**dy stupid law.... to lump loving parents in with paedos, sickos and rapists :wacko:

It's a funny ole world....

co-sleepings when u have a cot attached to the side of ur bed? right not actually putting the baby in the same bed as u im just confuse bc some are making fun about ppl thinking u can kill ur baby while co-sleeping..im not 100%sure what co-sleeping is to each of you i.e in a cot attached to ur bed or actually in ur bed. i've had a close family friend just about a month ago have to put there baby boy in the ground from suffocating him and years before that a family member had to do the same so i know its annoying to hear ppl say "co-sleeping can kill ur baby" but for some ppl it has really happened to them.

1yr is still very young. I think most people who co-sleep let the baby move when hes ready to, in which case you have no crying and screaming. I don't know about what the law states is child abuse in the US regarding bed sharing, but that is a pretty bl**dy stupid law.... to lump loving parents in with paedos, sickos and rapists :wacko:

It's a funny ole world....

i agree

Cosleeping to me is having them in bed with you, the "cosleepers" are great for some but to me that's just having them really close because they aren't technically sleeping with you, they are in their own separate space. In pretty much all cases of the baby being suffocated there is some underlying issue, they smoke, they were drinking, taking meds, using fluffy bedding, the baby was on a pillow, overtired parents...something that causes it to become dangerous, when you do it safely it is perfectly safe and some experts and moms will say it's safer than sleeping in a crib...I'm one of those moms lol.

I'm in the US an have never heard of such a law, my dr knew I coslept and was fully supportive, I would imagine if it was against the law I would have been warned? But no I've never heard that from anyone and I know lots that cosleep too.

I got those comments too, I'd usually spout off a few facts so they realized i'm no idiot and have research proving that what I'm doing is completely safe and my child will not be in my bed forever, I can pretty much guarantee that no child is going to go to high school come home and climb into bed with mommy and daddy :) But we had no issues moving Casen or Hayden to their own beds after cosleeping almost a year and over a year with each.

Cosleeping to me is having them in bed with you, the "cosleepers" are great for some but to me that's just having them really close because they aren't technically sleeping with you, they are in their own separate space. In pretty much all cases of the baby being suffocated there is some underlying issue, they smoke, they were drinking, taking meds, using fluffy bedding, the baby was on a pillow, overtired parents...something that causes it to become dangerous, when you do it safely it is perfectly safe and some experts and moms will say it's safer than sleeping in a crib...I'm one of those moms lol.

I'm in the US an have never heard of such a law, my dr knew I coslept and was fully supportive, I would imagine if it was against the law I would have been warned? But no I've never heard that from anyone and I know lots that cosleep too.

I got those comments too, I'd usually spout off a few facts so they realized i'm no idiot and have research proving that what I'm doing is completely safe and my child will not be in my bed forever, I can pretty much guarantee that no child is going to go to high school come home and climb into bed with mommy and daddy :) But we had no issues moving Casen or Hayden to their own beds after cosleeping almost a year and over a year with each.
baaahahahaha that made laugh! i have no idea y the CPS lady said that..:shrug: but my mother never co slept with any of her kids after that.

I sleep better when LO was cosleeping (although it was DAMN uncomfortable!!!!) and now I wake at three in the morning and can't sleep till 6 or 7 even though she's right next to me in the cosleeping cot. :blush::haha::dohh:

She doesn't sleep next to me since I stopped BFing. :haha: She's like "no booby, no me!"

And I think (ESPECIALLY if you're BFing which is the NATURAL way) that co-sleeping is inevitable to a great degree. I'd be interested to know how many mums who breastfeed managed to NOT co-sleep.

ALSO my nana coslept, as did her nana etc. so I come from a long line of cosleepers who have genetically survived the dangers. I'm sorry if that's just nonsense but I think there's a valid point in there somehwere. :blush:

I was quite lucky and my MIL said that if she hadnt been so keen to read the books on what you 'should' do she would have done it with OH and it was so much easier with her other son when they did :) My mum just wasnt that bothered...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->