Living room, sitting room, lounge etc?

Living room or front room

Dining room is called the back room as well sometimes

When i was at my mum & dads i called it a front room now in my house its at the back i call it a living room!

Living room. It's odd that we call it that as we have an open plan house so it's one gaint room but we still refer to it as kitchen, living and dinning room even though they are not separate rooms

I call it lounge, always have done but DH says I'm posh for saying that? Growing up my parents also called it the lounge, DH calls it living room I think.

I call it lounge, always have done but DH says I'm posh for saying that? Growing up my parents also called it the lounge, DH calls it living room I think.

Glad I'm not the only one that calls it the lounge! Never thought of it as a posh term, its just what my parents always called it.

Living room or front room mostly, I think that comes from both sets of Grandparents as both had a house where there was a room that was used daily (living room) and the front room for guests, special occasions etc.

Growing up we had a sitting room and several other reception rooms. Nowadays I use sitting room, living room and front room (although it's at the back!) interchangeably, but never lounge for some reason.

Sitting room is a middle class term and lounge is supposedly lower middle class, whilst living room and front room have a working class background.

Glad I'm not the only one that calls it the lounge! Never thought of it as a posh term, its just what my parents always called it.

I say lounge too! Always have done. Not sure what DH called it growing up, I have heard him say living room a couple of times but he mostly calls it the lounge. I wonder if it's an area thing as well as perhaps a class thing? Most people I know call it a lounge but when I lived in London I never heard that, it was always sitting or living room.

And we sit on a sofa (not a settee or a couch! :haha:)

I call it living room. It was always living room when we were younger, and then when we moved to a nicer area my parents insisted we called it a lounge and forever were correcting us! I still call it living room now!

I say lounge too! Always have done. Not sure what DH called it growing up, I have heard him say living room a couple of times but he mostly calls it the lounge. I wonder if it's an area thing as well as perhaps a class thing? Most people I know call it a lounge but when I lived in London I never heard that, it was always sitting or living room.

We sat on the settee :haha:

Thinking about it I'm pretty sure we mostly sat on a settee growing up but I've said sofa most of my adult life!

we call it living room which is also dining room (l shaped room) though hopefully getting a conservatory soon which we will probably move dining table into

Thinking about it I'm pretty sure we mostly sat on a settee growing up but I've said sofa most of my adult life!

I call it a sofa now too.

Ours is living room, Zach calls it the 'willing' room.

I call it the 'front room' even though it's at the back of the house. Guess that's just what my parents called it as we grew up and it's stuck with me.

We have two "sitting rooms" which we call "the red room" (because it has a red sofa, that room is a loving/dinning area, huge 30ft room! The other we call "the play room" but it's really just a room we use as the main sitting area, but the other is our more formal area so the other is the play room lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->