Living with the Amish

I am :)
haven't seen last weeks episode yet though but have really enjoyed it so far.
Did you see the previous series where some Amish teenagers came to the UK? X

I've been meaning to but haven't actually seen any of it lol x

I've been watching it and so much of it reminds me of some of dads relatives, they aren't religious though and they do use technology but they live on a farm and apart from clothes and certain things like cooking oil they make everything themselves and don't really have any contact with anyone else, I think aspects of it I like in the show, I think its better for the planet and people if people are more self sufficient but I don't agree with the isolation or the religious aspect.

Yep I saw the first series as well; that was quite interesting except the 'mosque' they went to was run by a sect that completely broke away from mainstream Islam a long time ago so its kind of like them going to the LDS temple and saying this is a CoE church (although that sect did hide their true beliefs as what they said in the show was completely opposite to some of their beliefs and more in line with mainstream Muslims), also I didn't like how they were pressured into doing stuff they felt really uncomfortable doing according to their religious beliefs. The new series seems a lot better. I am really fascinated by the Amish and their offshoot the Mennonites; who broke away in something like 1683 but are culturally very similar. There is also a sect called the hutterites who are quite similar except the new order of those do not shun modern technology and electricity at all, just believe it should be used wisely-and some of their youths go onto further and higher education; they have three communities in the UK, one in Kent, one in Sussex and one in Forest Gate in E. London (so if you see any Amish looking ladies near the Westfield in Stratford; this is them). They actually make a lot of the wooden nursery toys and equipment, and equipment for disabled people in use in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->