LO spits up bottles of breast milk

mod19

Reaction score
I supplement my 16 day old with formula, well it's mostly formula as I just do not have enough of a supply to keep her satisfied. I'll nurse her before each bottle, which is every 2 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. Her last bottle is at midnight, then 4am, 8am, then back to every 2 hours. I pump every other hour she doesn't nurse and get about 4oz or 2 bottles for the day, but when I give her one of the breast milk bottles, she always spits it up, and I mean the whole thing! She also spits up formula on a regular basis, but not nearly as much as the breast milk. Then afterwards you can tell she doesn't feel good for about an hour or so. She just lays there and doesn't move staring off into space and not making any facial movements either. It's almost as if she's lethargic. This doesn't happen when I nurse her before bottles though, only when she's gotten a bottle of strictly breast milk. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Didn't want to read and run. I don't have any specific advice other than it would be worth a call to the doctor to ask them. Do you have a lot of dairy in your diet? Maybe she has some type of intolerance that would be worth a try cutting out dairy? I hope you find an answer soon!

Thanks I have a call into the dr. The nurse originally called me back and was stumped as well. I thought about the dairy, but the similac she is on is dairy and doesn't have a problem with that, so I'm not sure if that's it or not.

Would also like to mention she sometimes spits up the bottle before she's even finished with it. It'll still be in her mouth and up it comes, weather we Burp after an Oz or not.

So you feed 4oz bottles at a time? Could it be that the amount may be too much for her? I combi feed my 9 week old and the most she has ever taken at a time has been 3oz (for expressed milk or formula). I also burp every ounce and we very, very rarely have spit up issues.

So you feed 4oz bottles at a time? Could it be that the amount may be too much for her? I combi feed my 9 week old and the most she has ever taken at a time has been 3oz (for expressed milk or formula). I also burp every ounce and we very, very rarely have spit up issues.

No she eats 2oz bottles at a time. She doesn't always take the whole bottle during feedings when she's nursed quickly. But drawn out feedings she readily takes the whole 2oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->