lo wants to nurse all night...should i wean?

gingerbaby4us

new momma
Reaction score
I am exhausted, my daughter is 7mo and she wakes up 5+ times a night. We co-sleep and it seems like she can't sleep without my nipple as a pacifier! She wakes constantly wanting to nurse. I tried giving her a paci to sleep, but she spits it right out! I am just so tired, I don't know what to do. Should I wean her? We both love bf, hmmm... any suggestions?

No advice but im in the same boat - just hoping he will grow out of it on his own really! Its hard isnt it, i feel for you xx

Do you think weaning would help? You may find yourself waking as often, but making a bottle or rocking to sleep. Having said that, I can't really offer any practical alternatives. I've been there too, and all I can say, is that is passes. Has she always woken so often or is it a case of teething or a growth spurt?

Lots of hugs and sympathy!

for a while around 4-5 months she slept through the night!!!! It seems to be getting worse lately. She got 4 teeth in a few days time about a month ago, ever since then it's been quite a struggle. I guess weaning isn't the answer, I want to let her decide when to quit the boob, I'm just desprate for some sleep!!! I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone, I guess this is normal then.

Maybe it's time to stop co-sleeping? Could you move her to a cot in your room? Without the close proximity and easy access to your boobs she might not wake as often.

I think the sucking is symbolic of a need for comfort and if you wean, the need will still be there, and you may need to rock, sing etc. Both my LOs sucked through the night and I just accepted thats what they need. I find that my LO sucks more frequently if she is teething or ill. Maybe rule these out as well. X

This sounds absolutely like how our nights have been until very recently. We also co-sleep. Isla's 13 months old now, and from 5 months old until a couple of weeks ago, I would say that she generally woke up between 5 and 20 times a night. It has been so difficult but it was obvious to me that she really needed comfort so I went with it. Amazingly now she wakes much less - perhaps 2 or 3 times once we've gone to bed. I've even been getting 4 or 5 hour stretches some nights, which I've not had for over a year. So, things do change of their own accord. I'm a firm believer in babies having their own agendas and timetables, and as a parent, all you can do is help them gently through them!
Hang on in there, one day in the not too distant future all of a sudden you will realise that you can't remember the night, and that's because you were asleep the whole time!

Have you tried her in her own bed? I find LO nurses a hell of a lot more when she sleeps in our bed xx

yeah i'd have to agree, maybe stop the co-sleeping? i know if maddie share's with me she will just gobble boobies allllllllllllll night long:dohh: but you mean wean off the breast right? no i don't think you have to do that hun x:hugs:x

:hugs:

I'm right there, too! My DS was much better about this because he used his thumb to comfort suck. He woke every 2-3 until 8 months, but then by 10 months was STTN. My DD, on the other hand, feels the need to comfort suck alllllllllll night long. :dohh: I think I spend most of my night with a boob stuck in her mouth. :sigh: I've tried leaving her in her co-sleeper and her sleeping in her own bed, but she'll have none of it. I can't even count the number of times she wakes me. :roll:

Between being pg with DS and not sleeping, then nursing DS, then being pg with DD and not sleeping and now nursing DD.... I've not had more than 2-3 hours of unbroken sleep in over 2.5 years!!!! :shock:

:sleep: :sleep: I'm shattered.

But, I feel strongly that babies will do their own thing in their own time. Trying to force something on them sooner is likely to cause lots of trouble and heartache with little results. So, I'm powering through it. It's not easy, though!

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"