Long term breastfeeding. ..when did you stop bf in the night and how did you do it?

Spudtastic

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm just wondering when you stopped breastfeeding in the night time and how did you go about stopping night feeds?
I have a toddler who just loves the boobie but it's time to stop night time feeding.

Do you mind if I follow?

My dd was 1 last week, she sleeps in our bed and wakes app 4 times a night. Comoplete boob monster day and night! I tried last month to rock to sleep instead of feed but got absolutely knowhere :dohh:

Hopefull others will have advice :)

My daughter is 18 months and still feeds at least once in the night, so hopefully someone has some advice. So following your thread :)

Ladies perhaps this is more common than I have realised and there are no answers.

I did read the name Jay Gordon on another thread. Google it and he provides a technique that is more akin to natural parenting which I might try.

I have a 20 month old boobie guzzler. I seem to have gone backwards. She just wants boobie all the time. With no. 2 on the way I'd really like to at least get her sleeping in the night without boob.

My guy is almost 3 and still nurses at night... I have heard wonderful things about jay Gordon's night weaning method! I don't plan on night weaning until he's out of our bed... I think he's almost ready and we might give it a try around his third birthday... Just have to actually go buy him a bed haha.

Is she in your bed spudtastic? If she's in her own bed/room sending in your partner helps, they still get they cuddle and comfort and quickly learn how to settle back to sleep without the boob :)

Hi Casey.

It's good to hear someone else that is night nursing when their lo is older. My husband tells me I should have stopped long ago.

Dd has her own room. It would be nice if hubby went in but I pretty much do every thing baby related. It's a good idea and I just need to tell him that he's got to do it lol :)

Lol yep, if you really want to night wean.. Send him in for a few nights.. Def time for daddy to step up and help out as this is something he is needed for for sure :) on the nights I'm out of energy and just done I hide in our family room watching tv and send my OH in if he wakes, LO gets upset for a couple minutes and then just falls asleep so I know he can do it without a boob ;)

My daughter just turned 15 months and she's still feeding during the night. Now, it has reduced. Now it's mainly once once at around midnight and then 1st thing in the morning. Sometimes it affects her breakfast - say, for instance, if she feeds a lot in the morning, by the time we come downstairs she might have 1 or 2 pieces of toast, tops, and cow's milk but not a proper breakfast.
I have been told to just leave her to cry. My friend left hers to cry for 2 hours the first night, 1 hour the 2nd night and she said he just never cried again and sleeps wonderfully through the night. I am not ready to take this step just yet, but maybe if she's still feeding past the age of 2 I will have to do something a bit more desperate.

I hope others can provide you with better advice. I know it is difficult!

All the best xx

middle of the night/early morning feeds were our last to go. I weaned him purposefully over the course of a couple of months, so when it was time I just told DH he would have to be the one to tend to DS for a couple of nights. After a couple of nights I went back to tending him. He did ask to nurse but but was pretty acquiescing when I told him no, and that was that. Removing myself from the situation was the best way to do it, in my case, particular because I was willing to keep nursing longer, but had other reasons for the timing of weaning. That made it really hard to do at times!!

Last night my nearly 2 year old didn't feed at all. He woke up several times but each time I got him back to sleep without feeding him. It wasn't intentional, he'd vomited a few times yesterday, each time right after feeding so I fed him to sleep and then each time he woke I just cuddled him back to sleep and he fell back each time. I wouldn't have stopped him from feeding if he really wanted to, but while he asked for milk a couple of times it was more habit than want as he never asked more than once at a time.

Despite not getting more than an hours unbroken sleep, I actually feel more energetic than I have done in years. I think feeding him all night must have been extremely draining. And to make matters worse, he's been out of nappies for ages and all the night feeds mean at least one middle of the night trip to the potty. So last night we avoided that. I'm definitely going to try to do the same tonight. I read a good tip for nightweaning, which is to wear a top that does not allow easy boob access. That way you are less likely to sleepily forget and offer a feed.

I night weaned my eldest son around 18 months while I was pregnant. He would wake up for it but I would rock him and sing to him instead. I would also face away from him and my husband would soothe him. It took about 3-4 nights for him to stop waking up to nurse. It was relatively painless.

We are trying to night wean ATM. M is 15months and has consistently woken every two hours at night for feeds. I've read a lot and cant find a solution that suits our needs. Three weeks ago we started sending her to bed with dad so last day feed is before dinner at five then she has bath book bed. The first night was hard but the next night she fell straight to sleep. She sleeps half six until ten , dh goes in trys to settle her, I try not to get involved until after 11pm when dh needs to go to bed. She's still waking about three times before 7am.
I just don't know how to stop this. Should I point blank refuse feeds? She only has milk two_three times in day and mostly isn't bothered to have a long feed. She eats well and will drink water and cows milk. She sleeps in our room with me and dh sleeps in her room, its not ideal and I still haven't got af since she was born, kinda want to think about #2!!

We're in the same position merris. Although we haven't got as far as an eve/bedtime routine :/.... We tried the other night by sending oh up at 10pm with a bottle of cows milk but she screamed and oh had no patience!.... I took over with boob and she was soon flat out!
I have no idea what to do, I don't want to introduce a bottle as a sub, so I guess rocking is my only option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->