looking to buy something to make night feeds easier

oh well government guidelines and all health professionals must be wrong then!!

Hevz, that's the exact same thing that my health-visitor told me when we were on the family nurse partnership (I saw her every couple of weeks and she always told me the same thing when mentioning it). She also said that they often over-caution when advising mums, because some people do really stupid things. i.e. make the formula and then leave it on top of a radiator to keep it warm for long periods of time, maybe 4 hours or so.

EDIT; I'll add that a lot of people have a lot of different views on how formula should be prepared. As long as you're not doing anything really stupid (as I mentioned above), and the way you're doing it suits you, then I think you're fine to do it that way.

Nobody said you were wrong did they?????????????????????:dohh:

This was taken from that link

If you need to feed your baby away from home, it is
safest to carry a measured amount of milk powder
in a small clean and dry container, a fl ask of hot
water that has been boiled and an empty sterilised
feeding bottle.

Do you think that water may be over 30mins old if you're out for the day????????????????:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

That is just one link....I think you're being a little anal about this and in the process confusing other people. Do you take the temp of your water before making up the bottle? I doubt it:shrug:

Hevz, that's the exact same thing that my health-visitor told me when we were on the family nurse partnership (I saw her every couple of weeks and she always told me the same thing when mentioning it). She also said that they often over-caution when advising mums, because some people do really stupid things. i.e. make the formula and then leave it on top of a radiator to keep it warm for long periods of time, maybe 4 hours or so.

EDIT; I'll add that a lot of people have a lot of different views on how formula should be prepared. As long as you're not doing anything really stupid (as I mentioned above), and the way you're doing it suits you, then I think you're fine to do it that way.

:dohh:
Yeah keeping it warm on top of a gas fire or radiator was one of the things that the guy doing my food-hygiene course mentioned too....it's gobsmacking to hear some of the horror stories.

This wasn't meant to be a debate....you need to use your common sense about these things really.I'm sorry if anyone has been upset or confused by these comments....that's not been my intention:nope:

Putting the powder into room temp water isnt going to kill any bacteria that might be in the powder.

Putting powder into water that is hot will kill bacteria in the powder.

I'm afraid you're very wrong here, the last thing that you're supposed to add is hot/boiling water:dohh:. The water however should have been previously boiled to kill any bacteria in the water.

You're supposed to add cooled, boiled water. Killing bacteria by heating thoroughly is for when re-heating food not when making up a fresh bottle:thumbup:

However, the milk powder does mix in easier when the water is warm as opposed to room temperature:thumbup:

YOU said that it was wrong to add boiling water ^^^^
Thermos flasks keep water hot for hours, so yes actually, the water will still be hot after hours. I don't care if I'm being anal or not, I don't want my baby getting ill. I used to make the bottles by adding powder to just warm water when Joseph was a newborn, no one told me this was wrong. I was actually quite worried about it when I found out that the powder isn't sterile. It doesn't effect my life how you make bottles up for your children but I'm giving the OP the guidelines as it might help her!

I think everyone (even professionals) have different ideas on the best way to make up formula. Sometimes, if you followed everything to the letter, it just wouldn't be practical. Not everyone can follow all the 'rules' all the time. It's about common sense, and what is practical, I think.

There is so many opinions on this some people dont premake bottles ad refridgerate i have and Carter is perfectly fine i now always make his bottles with preboiled but room temp water and he is also fine the only thing i wouldnt suggest is to ever make up a bottle and leave it out for more than an hour which im sure you already knew. Were moving into a new place where the kitchen is downstairs and even though Carter is only up once a night i will have his powder and his bottle upstairs in his room for the feed much easier and he eats room temp formula so it works great.

Putting the powder into room temp water isnt going to kill any bacteria that might be in the powder.

I'm afraid you're very wrong here, the last thing that you're supposed to add is hot/boiling water:dohh:. The water however should have been previously boiled to kill any bacteria in the water.

You're supposed to add cooled, boiled water. Killing bacteria by heating thoroughly is for when re-heating food not when making up a fresh bottle:thumbup:

However, the milk powder does mix in easier when the water is warm as opposed to room temperature:thumbup:

Thermos flasks keep water hot for hours, so yes actually, the water will still be hot after hours. I don't care if I'm being anal or not, I don't want my baby getting ill. I used to make the bottles by adding powder to just warm water when Joseph was a newborn, no one told me this was wrong. I was actually quite worried about it when I found out that the powder isn't sterile. It doesn't effect my life how you make bottles up for your children but I'm giving the OP the guidelines as it might help her!

Even my can of formula says do not add to boiling water only boiled but cooled water i say go by the can the company would know how to make up there formula best

Even my can of formula says do not add to boiling water only boiled but cooled water i say go by the can the company would know how to make up there formula best

Ok so I should have said hot, within 30 mins of boiling. My tub of formula says this: https://www.aptamil.co.uk/common/milupa/assets/pdf/APT035_prepare_bottlefeed_0414092009171043.pdf

Gosh! So many opinions

At the end of the day as long as people are not doing stupid things, like leaving the bottle pre-made out all day then I don't think it matter if u add powder to water that has cooled for 30 minutes...what happenes if its 35 minutes? do you start again?

I personally, add water which was cooled for approx 20 minutes to a bottle and seal, I do usually 2/3 at a time, then I just add the powder to the water and feed at room temp! My little was has NEVER been ill.

Also HV used to advise mothers to make all 6 bottles (or how ever many) as your first job in the morning, and pop them in the fridge and heat as needed! Yet some people think this is bad to!

So I say do what you feel comfortable with cos everyone will never agree

wow didnt know this was such a big subject to cause such a stir over :shock:

Ive always just added the water(bottled water not boiled) and formula together and fed at room temp to my son without warming and this is what is stated on the formula can it even says not to warm the bottle over 100F or 40C because it compromises the benefits of the cultures in the milk...but I am from the US and Ive read you are told different in the UK :shrug: not sure what yall mean by killing the bacteria in formula :shrug:

JMO but instead of debating about it I would just go by what the formula can advises you to do :)

I heat up a bottle of water and put it in a bottle bag (the one with the silver stuff in to keep it warm) and put the powder in a wee tommee tippee powder holder that fits in the bottle and when baby wakes up i just pop the powder in and feed her. Quick and easy! As for the milk not being sterile it is only a very small minimal 'risk' as such when baby is only a few weeks old after that its perfectly fine to put powder in room temperature water. People are a wee bit over paranoid about the milk not being 'sterile'. the powder companies are hardly gonna sell us something that poisons our babies and if it was dangerous there would be a warning on the packs. Dummies are not sterile all the time and they go in babies mouth and once they start crawling theres no way to keep everything sterile that they put in their mouths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->