• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

looking to buy something to make night feeds easier

staycutee

mummy
Reaction score
i dont know if such a product even exists, is there something i can put a bottle (with formula already in) in that will keep it cool, but then heat it up also? that i can keep by my bed? getting up all the time is killing me

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B00005BTB1

As you're not supposed to make formula up in advance my advice would be to keep the required amount of cooled boiled water in a sterilised bottle next to your bed (also water doesn't need to be kept chilled or anything), the required amount of powder in one of those containers you use when you're out and about and a bottle warmer:thumbup:.

When baby wakes, add powder to water, mix as usual and put it in the bottle warmer:flower:

You can get a day and night thing that keeps bottle cold and has a bottle warmer attached but they're expensive.
If you kept the milk in something cool etc and then warmed it up it would take longer to warm from cold anyway so I reckon my idea's the best:winkwink::haha:

Hevz idea is good. I'm not sure what bottles you use, but I had these; https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_milk_powder_dispensers_pack_of_3_/
They were just right as you'd fill them with the correct amount of formula powder, and they'd fit inside of the bottle. Then, you'd just tip them into the water when you needed to.

hi thanks both of you
i thought water had to be kept in the fridge! how long will it be okay out of the fridge? xx

It's ok for 24 hours accroding to my HV so :thumbup: - also, you could give it at room temperature so no heating involved either....this is what I do! (I had one of the Lindam day and night systems (which has the cooler and the warmer) and I really didn't like it!)

Keep it simple.....bottles of water and portions of powder next to my bed, take about 3 seconds!! :thumbup: I also know some people who use cartons overnight too so they just open the carton and give it as is!

ok thanks i am gonna try this then! gosh i really have been complicating things for myself

i just took a bottle and carton of ready made up at bedtime, was a bugger when i forgot the scissors to open it though lol

you shouldnt really give the bottle at room temperature if your adding the powder to water at room temperature because the powder isnt sterile.

If baby will take milk at room temperature then the cartons would be the way to go.

If your baby prefers it warmed up then keep the powder and water next to your bed then when he wakes put the powder in the water and heat up with a bottle warmer.

I personnally bought the lindam day and night feeder made the bottle up kept it in the bit that keeps its coll and then warmed up. took 2 minutes if that! Gave me just enough time to chnge his nappy beforehand.

you shouldnt really give the bottle at room temperature if your adding the powder to water at room temperature because the powder isnt sterile.

If baby will take milk at room temperature then the cartons would be the way to go.

Agreed. Unless you want to take the risks involved with mixing powder with room temp water, you need to use cartons.

I had a lindam day and night feeder. The cool box has an ice pack which keeps it cool for hours and then u just put a little bit of water in the warmer and it only takes a couple of minutes to warm the milk, like Boony said I generally found that it was ready by the time I had changed his nappy. The milk powder isn't sterile so it's best to add it to hot water initially to kill any bacteria. I didn't realise this and used to add it to room temperature water, it has never done any harm to Joseph but I did have a big panic when I found out so I always add the powder to very hot water now x

What do you mean???????????:shrug:

Of course it's not sterile...it's a food so it can't be sterile. There's no difference adding milk powder to room temp water or warm water at all, the baby will be drinking the bottle straightaway. Once bottles are made up and been out atroom temperature for over an hour then they need to be discarded:thumbup:.

It's confusing enough for 1st time Mum's who are asking for advice without people giving out incorrect advice, you yourself may have been told this by someone and that's why you believe it to be true. I'm not having a go at you by the way....just letting you know that this information is incorrect:winkwink:

Putting the powder into room temp water isnt going to kill any bacteria that might be in the powder.

Putting powder into water that is hot will kill bacteria in the powder.

Putting the powder into room temp water isnt going to kill any bacteria that might be in the powder.

Putting powder into water that is hot will kill bacteria in the powder.

I'm afraid you're very wrong here, the last thing that you're supposed to add is hot/boiling water:dohh:. The water however should have been previously boiled to kill any bacteria in the water.

You're supposed to add cooled, boiled water. Killing bacteria by heating thoroughly is for when re-heating food not when making up a fresh bottle:thumbup:

However, the milk powder does mix in easier when the water is warm as opposed to room temperature:thumbup:

https://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_084165.pdf You might want to read this. The water should be boiled and not have been left to cool for more than 30 mins, so about 70 degrees

https://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_084165.pdf You might want to read this. The water should be boiled and not have been left to cool for more than 30 mins, so about 70 degrees

thank you! i knew i wasnt wrong!

I'm saying you're wrong as this will not "kill bacteria", using warmer water is to help the powder dissolve in the water. It will not make your baby ill to mix pre-boiled, cool water that has been in a sterile bottle with formula powder.

This was discussed in length when I did my food hygiene course for the baby group that I run. They advise you to uae warm water as it helps the powder dissolve better.

The other thing I learnt was that the reason they don't advise using boiling water is because some people use boiling water to make up feeds and then put the boiling bottles in the fridge to cool and change temperature of the fridge or.....they make them up with boiling water and leave them sat on the kitchen worktop for 2hours to cool down before putting them in the fridge:dohh: during that time the bacteria has multiplied over and over and could make baby seriously ill.

If making bottles up with watmer water you need to chill down as soon as possible in a jug of iced water:thumbup:

Sorry to hi-jack but this thread has completely confused me.

At night I take sterilised bottles with boiled water in to bed with me.

I have a bottle warmer in the room, I mix the powder to the cooled water and then heat it up in the bottle warmer when he wakes for a feed, is this wrong? :shrug:

I have a bottle warmer in the room, I mix the powder to the cooled water and then heat it up in the bottle warmer when he wakes for a feed, is this wrong? :shrug:

No hun that's absolutely fine:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It's up to you how you do it, that link I added shows you the department of health recommended way, although apparently that is wrong too :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"