Losing hair after baby?

Tawn

New Mummy!
Reaction score
As if I don't feel unattractive enough! :haha: but a few weeks ago I started to lose a LOT of hair. I expected this as I'd heard about it and as I watched the fistfuls come out I told myself it would be better soon. Well 3 weeks on and I am still losing it by the handful, constantly all day every day! It's disgusting!

Literally it never ends, I give it a super deep wash and hope, ok that will at least get most of it out but it doesn't ever even seem to slow the rate of loss. My hair is so thin now it's insane and I am still able to pull handfuls out every time I run my fingers through it.

So is this within the realm of "normal" post-baby hair loss? If so, when the heck will it slow down? I am starting to get paranoid about going bald :(

Please don't worry. The same happened to me, it was everywhere!! My hairdresser didn't help by saying 'oh my god! This is the most hair loss I've ever seen!!'... Yea thanks! But after about 4 weeks its slowed down. I didn't go bald and still have a full head of hair! I've Got loads of baby hair growing all over now, it's about 1cm long so blends in with the rest. I know it's scary but it is normal! :hugs:

Yep, I lost TONS of hair with both kids. Mine lasted a few months, and then went back to normal. But I literally thought I'd be bald if it kept going at that rate, but I guess I just had that much extra hair to lose? It never looked like it was thinning a lot, even though boatloads of hair came out.

A friend of mine that's a hairdresser recommended I use Nioxin hair system for Thinning Hair, can be bought at salons, and it definitely helped. It didn't stop the hair loss, but I think it slowed it down once I started using it.

Yeah I lost a lot of hair and I'm still loosing it, my hair never looked so good as it did during pregnancy, it was so full, lovely and never fell out now I'm left with thin hair :(

Ah, I was losing HEAPS.. I think it's slow down in the last month or so. I heard its coz when u r pregnant, the hormones stop u from losing hair, so once the baby is born, there's a lot of "catching up" to do with hair loss.

Doesn't help when my dads bald and DH always jokes abt how I'll go bald like him (I always have fairly thin hair too) :haha:

I lost loads with my second for months, it got better after that

Thank you for posting this! Everyday I think to myself I'm going to be bald soon. I didn't do this with my first two. I get handfuls out in the shower, then more comes out on my comb, and then I pick it off my clothes and my daughter's clothes all day. Even my husband was disturbed when he vacuumed the bedroom and had to pull a ball of my hair out of the vacuum. I'm sorry you girls are doing it too but glad I'm not alone and can relax a little.

my hair came out in handfuls for a couple of months, I truly thought I would be bald! It eventually slowed down, and now I have lots of short new hairs growing in.

i still loose quite a bit now, LO is 2.5yrs ols. it was fistfulls but now its not so bad.

When do you start to lose the hair? Immediately? 6 weeks post-partum?

I shedded a lot before I was pregnant, but I haven't been for 9 months... so I'm expecting a torrential downpour. Time to get the hair cut short, I guess!

I had two babies in a row, and I lost hair both times. There's a part of my scalp that actually only has new short hair on it, but you can only tell when I wear my hair in a ponytail.

It's crazy how much hair I lost. It's ALL over the house, even when we clean, it just keep falling out.

So glad to hear that you all have the same (though I am not glad to hear all of us are suffering with this unfortunate side effect of having a baby!)

Mine started about 9 weeks pp, and it sounds like I have a few more months to look forward to :(

I do think it is time for a haircut, but with my hair hastily being shoved in an updo everyday as I don't have time for drying/styling nowadays, I don't really wanna go any shorter than still being able to put it up. So I guess I am doomed to hair everywhere for the foreseeable future!

i still loose quite a bit now, LO is 2.5yrs ols. it was fistfulls but now its not so bad.

2 1/2 years! Oh my goodness, that is awful! I really hope it isn't quite that long for me, it is making me dread my showers nowadays (which used to be my 10 minute haven after baby was born...my only alone time :haha:)

Soooo much hair loss. it gets everywhere too, in LO's nappy, round his fingers and feet and everywhere in the house. Its so embarassing having people over and them having to pull hair out their toes when they;ve stood on the shagpile rug! (i do hoover haha)

It is normal. I lost hair for 7 months but then it finally started slowing down. The worst was brushing my hair after washing it.

Hopefully it'll stop soon. :hugs:

When do you start to lose the hair? Immediately? 6 weeks post-partum?I shedded a lot before I was pregnant, but I haven't been for 9 months... so I'm expecting a torrential downpour. Time to get the hair cut short, I guess!

With DS1, I started losing it immediately post partum for several months. With DS2, I thought I must be lucky this time and not losing it. Ha! it just didn't start immediately. It started around 3 months with him, and lasted about 3-4 months.

My friend tried biotin when hers started strted falling out and the change was so quick, it started growing backthicker and helped cut down the shedding. Ill be trying this when mine starts falling out :)

I just asked my doctor about this today. My hair had been falling out like crazy. :cry: It is actually starting to look thin at my part. I hate that there is hair everywhere and I dread washing it.

I am getting some blood work done to check my iron and B12 levels among other things. The doctor also suggested me using rogaine (spelling??) until it grows back on it's own. He said it was safe for breastfeeding but I don't feel comfortable using it.

My hair is always in a ponytail because little fingers have just started grabbing it a while lot more. Haha! I can't imagine cutting it short now. Long (and thin :() is easier for now.

It started around 3 months with him, and lasted about 3-4 months.

Same for me, then the weird spiky fringe grew back in and now finally it's starting to look a bit normal. Hats were my friends for a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->