Lotus birth!?

I think it's great! I personally wouldn't do it ONLY bc a newborn is hard enough and having to deal with carrying something else around all day just isn't my cup of tea. I'm intrigued on encapsulation etc but not sure if I could do it. I didn't even get to see the placenta after birth and that makes me very sad!!!!

I didn't even have the chance to peek at my placenta, that wonderful organ that housed "food" for baby.

I don't think it's gross at all. Different approach as a way to honor the whole pregnancy and nature, but I definitely don't think it's gross. It might be because I've been exposed to the idea throughout my life. And when I hear of something culturally "gross", I tend to just accept it as that. A part of culture. If you've never heard of it or was never exposed to this practice, it's understandable to think of it as gross.

As for me, yeah I would keep it. But it's just too bad I can't for reasons I won't disclose right now.

I didn't read the stupid Daily Mail article because I doubt that they have any intelligent thing to say on the matter, but it's not a "disgusting" practice. (And there are people on this board who have had or know a lot about Lotus Births -- hopefully a few of them will chime in!) From what I've read, the placenta doesn't smell bad if it's washed / dried, and people usually put herbs on it and place it in its own bag. Apparently it also detaches from the baby much faster compared to if cord is cut and also leaves a clean area. It's something like 2-3 days compared to 1-2 weeks of the cord stub being in place. It also has essentially no risk of becoming infected, but again, I do hope someone who knows more about it comes on and corrects me if I'm wrong.

It sounds lovely, but it's sad to see so many misinformed articles about the matter; I saw one site saying the practice should be illegal -- WTF?! It does no harm to the baby, it's just a bit more hassle for the mother, so why would it be made illegal? Personally, I would have encapsulated my placenta above a lotus birth, but I would consider it for the future. This time around I planted my placenta under a baby tree that we are keeping and I have plenty of pictures of it. I'm not spiritual or religious in any way, but the placenta is an organ you shared with your baby and gave your baby life, so I see it as something worth valuing and not just tossing out with disgust, but that's just me.

I love the DM comments

Really dislike this idea of keeping the lacenta attatched -the baby would need to be kept in very secure conditions e.g pets , rodents, foxes etc what a nightmare.

Where do these people keep their newborns placenta or no placenta???

:rofl: Yeah, I would hope you would a newborn away from rodents and foxes anyway?? :dohh:

I love the DM comments

Really dislike this idea of keeping the lacenta attatched -the baby would need to be kept in very secure conditions e.g pets , rodents, foxes etc what a nightmare.

:rofl: Yeah, I would hope you would a newborn away from rodents and foxes anyway?? :dohh:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/09/fox-bites-baby-finger
I know this is a freak case and off topic but still scary .

I love the DM comments

https://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/09/fox-bites-baby-finger
I know this is a freak case and off topic but still scary .

:shock: wow crazy. From what I understand though, the placenta shouldn't have any sort of scent that would even attract these things? could be wrong though!

I've heard of this before and I don't like the sound of it at all. Doctors warn against it because the placenta can easily become infected and in turn infect your newborn.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this! It's not for me though. There's a scene in the movie Wanderlust where a woman does this, and Paul Rudd looks at her like she's insane! It was pretty funny. Isn't it great how we're so conditioned to do what is socially "normal" that anything out of that realm is looked at as taboo? To each their own :flower:

I've never heard of this before and I find it fascinating. I'm not sure it's something I would do, but its interesting nonetheless.

I think this is pretty fascinating as well.

I really wanted to encapsulate my placenta, but I couldn't afford to have it done (it's pricey here). I suffered with PND and I understand it really helps to prevent depression, so I may invest next time.

I've heard of this before and I don't like the sound of it at all. Doctors warn against it because the placenta can easily become infected and in turn infect your newborn.

Where do you even get this information? There is no open wound, so it's actually harder to become infected than cutting the cord and leaving the stump.

Where do you even get this information? There is no open wound, so it's actually harder to become infected than cutting the cord and leaving the stump.

Yeah would it not be harder to get an infected As the cord is not cut and there is no opening ? These doctors don't sound very good

By the sounds of it the placenta and cord "die" faster than normal procedure pf leaving a tiny bit of cord behind. That takes around a week, is takes a few days.

I really wanted to encapsulate my placenta, but I couldn't afford to have it done (it's pricey here). I suffered with PND and I understand it really helps to prevent depression, so I may invest next time.

It's fairly easy to dry the placenta yourself in the oven, then grind it up and put it into capsules. You can even freeze it if you don't want to do it straight away.

Each to there own all that but defo not for me!

Don't get how it's considered more natural… animals cut the cord with there teeth and eat the placenta which seems more natural to me? I won't be giving that a go either lol

It's fairly easy to dry the placenta yourself in the oven, then grind it up and put it into capsules. You can even freeze it if you don't want to do it straight away.

I had no idea, thank you!!! I'm totally doing this.

Don't get how it's considered more natural… animals cut the cord with there teeth and eat the placenta which seems more natural to me? I won't be giving that a go either lol

Hah,I was gonna say try it in a smoothie then x

I would def puke drinking it but I could take the capsules as you wouldn't taste it then. I seen a woman drinking one and she actually said it was tasty hah not for me

I had no idea, thank you!!! I'm totally doing this.

Would love to do this ( well maybe get OH to do it as I wouldn't like to see it as a placenta ) .

Urghhhh, now I feel a bit sick…

When I was pregnant I read a post on here about a woman who fed hers to family and friends at a party but didnt tell them until afterwards :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->