Lotus birth!?

People shouldn't take offence in others saying its disgusting. It's just someone else's opinion.

I'm all for opinions, but I think there's a more dignified way of expressing a belief. Calling something "disgusting" is just kind of silly.

What if breastfeeding was called disgusting? Perineal massage? Elimination communication?

My point is that there are a lot of things that one might find "disgusting" that are still worthwhile for others. There are ways to debate these topics while having respect for those who choose these things.

If you really want to have a conversation, let's have it. But there's no way one would be taken seriously in a real academic debate by simply stating they thought something was unappealing because it's icky. It's just silly.

I should add that it's totally fine to feel a certain way. It's normal, it's human. Before I had a child, I felt a bit weird about breastfeeding despite it being totally natural. But in my opinion, it's possible to have an initial reaction to something and follow it with a different perspective.

Maybe its just me then. I personally would not be offended by anyone saying to me that something I chose to do was disgusting. It's just like someone saying oh icandys are disgusting- and because I have one I'm going to get offended by that? No lol. And before u say it's not the same thing, well it is.
People here are so quick to jump on people, seriously! If my friend chose to do this with her next baby and I told her I thought it was disgusting she would just be like 'oh right we'll your opinion'. As would most people in 'real life'.
I don't see any need to try and cause I argument.

I'm not very into Lotus births as I feel they are not what nature intended - I reckon our instincts would tell us to cut the cord if we stuck true to them as mammals tend to do this themselves. Encapsulation is definitely something I'd like to do next time round though.

Mammals tend to cut cords themselves? Very interesting!

I believe they do if they teeth. Some mammals like anteaters, manatees etc don't as they don't have the capabilities. But as we have full-on jaws, I reckon that's what we're naturally meant to do.

Main reason animals in the wild eat the after birth and chew the cord ti severe it is to hide evidance of birth, to prevent preditors smelling it and drawing attention to a newborn and a mother that may not be up to deffing itself yet.
Apes actualy ignore the placenta and leave it ti dry up and fall off natuarlt because they are normaly up in trees so dont have much of a preditor concern.
So in theory you could say its natural for humans as we decend from apes bur on the other hand ir may not be natural in terms if evolution because caveman had more of a preditor attraction problem beung on the ground so may of adapted the idea of disposing of the plecenta ti prevent attracting danger to a newboen and mother.
Interesting thought anyway.

It's really difficult to talk about something like this from a natural vs. unnatural standpoint. Personally, I feel like we can talk about childbirth that way, but this is a practice that occurs postpartum. However, unlike medical hospital births, lotus birth doesn't use any form of intervention, so in that way you can say it's "natural" since you're leaving the placenta and cord to fall off when they would without interference, but who is to say how our ancestors did it. Certain cultures practice lotus birth and have for a while due to spiritual reasons, so for them it would be natural. For western industrial societies it may appear to be "unnatural" simply because it isn't often practiced. Who is to say! I think that humans have evolved to the point where practices that would have been beneficial in certain life or death situations no longer apply. It certainly doesn't make sense anymore to dispose of the placenta in case of predators! :haha:

And also I didn't say that it wasn't worthwhile for others, if you read my post I said if someone wanted to do it then I wouldn't say they were disgusting, it's just not my cup of tea.

I'm not very into Lotus births as I feel they are not what nature intended - I reckon our instincts would tell us to cut the cord if we stuck true to them as mammals tend to do this themselves. Encapsulation is definitely something I'd like to do next time round though.

I believe they do if they teeth. Some mammals like anteaters, manatees etc don't as they don't have the capabilities. But as we have full-on jaws, I reckon that's what we're naturally meant to do.

Main reason animals in the wild eat the after birth and chew the cord ti severe it is to hide evidance of birth, to prevent preditors smelling it and drawing attention to a newborn and a mother that may not be up to deffing itself yet.
Apes actualy ignore the placenta and leave it ti dry up and fall off natuarlt because they are normaly up in trees so dont have much of a preditor concern.
So in theory you could say its natural for humans as we decend from apes bur on the other hand ir may not be natural in terms if evolution because caveman had more of a preditor attraction problem beung on the ground so may of adapted the idea of disposing of the plecenta ti prevent attracting danger to a newboen and mother.

It's really difficult to talk about something like this from a natural vs. unnatural standpoint. Personally, I feel like we can talk about childbirth that way, but this is a practice that occurs postpartum. However, unlike medical hospital births, lotus birth doesn't use any form of intervention, so in that way you can say it's "natural" since you're leaving the placenta and cord to fall off when they would without interference, but who is to say how our ancestors did it. Certain cultures practice lotus birth and have for a while due to spiritual reasons, so for them it would be natural. For western industrial societies it may appear to be "unnatural" simply because it isn't often practiced. Who is to say! I think that humans have evolved to the point where practices that would have been beneficial in certain life or death situations no longer apply. It certainly doesn't make sense anymore to dispose of the placenta in case of predators! :haha:

I dont know, mothers and mils are like bloody vampire sniffing around as soon as the hear their grandchilds been born :)

I just find it interesting the the though of what once may have been natural to our species may no longer be natural or needed because of evolution or why it may of been needed at some point.
Its better then discussing whats right and wrong :)

I guess everyone truly is different bc if someone straight up told me something I was doing for my child is "disgusting" I would be highly offended. Opinion or not. Sometimes opinions are meant to be kept to yourself. If I told everyone what I thought about them or their choices all the time, lets just say it wouldn't be a good situation!

People shouldn't take offence in others saying its disgusting. It's just someone else's opinion.

I'm all for opinions, but I think there's a more dignified way of expressing a belief. Calling something "disgusting" is just kind of silly.

What if breastfeeding was called disgusting? Perineal massage? Elimination communication?

My point is that there are a lot of things that one might find "disgusting" that are still worthwhile for others. There are ways to debate these topics while having respect for those who choose these things.

If you really want to have a conversation, let's have it. But there's no way one would be taken seriously in a real academic debate by simply stating they thought something was unappealing because it's icky. It's just silly.

I should add that it's totally fine to feel a certain way. It's normal, it's human. Before I had a child, I felt a bit weird about breastfeeding despite it being totally natural. But in my opinion, it's possible to have an initial reaction to something and follow it with a different perspective.

Maybe its just me then. I personally would not be offended by anyone saying to me that something I chose to do was disgusting. It's just like someone saying oh icandys are disgusting- and because I have one I'm going to get offended by that? No lol. And before u say it's not the same thing, well it is.
People here are so quick to jump on people, seriously! If my friend chose to do this with her next baby and I told her I thought it was disgusting she would just be like 'oh right we'll your opinion'. As would most people in 'real life'.

Okay, fair enough, let's say deeming somthing "disgusting" isn't offensive for argument's sake (though I disagree).

I still think it's a really poor way of making your point. It just doesn't really add anything to the debate.

Interesting, thanks!

I dont know, mothers and mils are like bloody vampire sniffing around as soon as the hear their grandchilds been born :)

I just find it interesting the the though of what once may have been natural to our species may no longer be natural or needed because of evolution or why it may of been needed at some point.
Its better then discussing whats right and wrong :)
Hah, true! Better hide the placenta before the grandmothers find it! (Actually keeping it on really could prevent them from showing up!) :haha:

I guess everyone truly is different bc if someone straight up told me something I was doing for my child is "disgusting" I would be highly offended. Opinion or not. Sometimes opinions are meant to be kept to yourself. If I told everyone what I thought about them or their choices all the time, lets just say it wouldn't be a good situation!

Same here, if someone called something I did "disgusting," especially something that I valued spiritually or culturally, I would be highly offended, too. I think most people would!

I don't really see why Im being made out to be the only person in this thread to have said I think it's not very nice, a lot of people have yet I'm the one being bashed for it. Well I do, it's my opinion and I'm now leaving this thread.

I don't really see why Im being made out to be the only person in this thread to have said I think it's not very nice, a lot of people have yet I'm the one being bashed for it. Well I do, it's my opinion and I'm now leaving this thread.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Truly, I was just quoting you in my original post since it was one of the last I had read - there were several posters who mentioned thinking this was "disgusting". I meant no harm and hope you don't feel personally attacked.

Definitely not for me. I was glad i didn't even see my placenta. I'm pretty squeamish so having it still attached to baby and having to carry it around would freak me out.

Maybe for you it's the same thing, but for other people, childbirth and doing what they think is best for their babies is a bit more personal than their choice of purchases. If you take that into account, maybe you'll see why people will be upset at their actions being called "disgusting".

I don't know, perhaps people are too easily offended. People shouldn't get offended if they are fully confident in their decisions. My mil has made it pretty clear she finds bf disgusting but I just ignored her. She's wrong and it's not stopped me bf for 7 months because I know it's the best thing for my baby.

Doing the whole lotus thing, that's a pretty big commitment. You'd have to be very strong minded to do it, and if shouldn't be a surprise at all that some people are a bit disgusted by it. No one who actually did a lotus birth has come on here and said they're offended, have they? No, because they probably don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

Not for me personally but I did read this article the other day and think it was interesting.

I personally want to be out and about with baby and will be travelling within a week to take her to family so I just want her to be her without a little tag along placenta.

I will be asking though to view it though and I really want to study it and spend time looking at it - it will still be attached to baby at this point as I wont be clamping & cutting the cord until the placenta is delivered.

I'm sorry, but I am not easily offended. At all. And very confident in my choices.

I don't think it's an issue of being personally offended when someone deems something "disgusting", it's just disrespectful and doesn't add any value to their opinion in the least.

Not for me personally but I did read this article the other day and think it was interesting.

I personally want to be out and about with baby and will be travelling within a week to take her to family so I just want her to be her without a little tag along placenta.

I will be asking though to view it though and I really want to study it and spend time looking at it - it will still be attached to baby at this point as I wont be clamping & cutting the cord until the placenta is delivered.

Thats actualy becoming alot more common now among mw, to not clamp and cut till after its delivered and has stoped pulsing.

I'm sorry, but I am not easily offended. At all. And very confident in my choices.

I don't think it's an issue of being personally offended when someone deems something "disgusting", it's just disrespectful and doesn't add any value to their opinion in the least.

:thumbup:

It's not for me. I think I try and parent based on instinct, and there is nothing compelling me to want to leave a placenta attached to a newborn, or eat it or paint pictures with it or bury it under a tree. I don't feel any sentimentality towards it at all and just consider it 'afterbirth'.

Eta- for what it's worth, I think it's perfectly valid for someone to think its disgusting. I think humans have natural aversions to lots of things so in the context of a discussion on lotus births, I think it's pretty interesting that some people find it disgusting and some do not.

It is not for me, but I would never call it that word. I was called disgusting and a bad mother and a mutilator cause my 3 sons are circumcised , was that fair to me.? So I know how that felt and I wouldn't pass on that hurt by calling another mother disgusting for her choices.. :flower:

Not for me either. I cant see any advantages to the baby by keeping it attached, only possible complications like heart stress,infection and jaundice, although from what i understand the chances of this are small. And i know babies snuggle up to it in the womb, but if its kept in a bag, and away from them after the birth then i dont think it would make a difference to them if its attached or not.

I think its ok for people to think some things are disgusting, after all we are human and sometimes we cant help what we feel. But we have to remember on a site like this there are people who you may offend if you type it out, so its worth giving extra thought to what you type and word it a bit differently.

But for the record, I dont find it disgusting and certainly dont have a problem with other people doing it. I honestly dont know why some people feel so strongly about what others do to their babies like circumcision, ear piercings, early weaning, to the point they go out of their way to make mums who chose to do this feel bad. Andypanda i'm sorry you have been on the receiving end of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->