Low lying placenta

Crazycolours

Reaction score
At my 20 week scan, the sonographer has arranged for a 36 weeks scan to check the position of the placenta. She didn't really go into much detail however on my scan report it reads - anterior placenta seen to enroach internal os... She didn't discuss this with me at all however as we all do, I turned to Mr Google!

Anyone with similar experiences? Have you had your follow up scan and it had moved?

Also I have no idea of the severity of it, is it partially covered, completely covered? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Praying I don't have to have a c section...

I'm in exactly the same situation except I'm further along.

I was told at my 20 week scan it was anterior and low so went back at 32 weeks. Then it was still low so it's now classed as placenta previa, that was all the sonographer told me. So I came out googled it and read all these horror stories! I phoned my midwife after that to ask if I should be doing anything differently (everybody on the Internet seems to have been told to take it easy at least) but she told me I was fine to carry on as normal. We even had a holiday booked from before I knew i was pregnant which meant flying at 34 and then 35 weeks and she told me I could still go. However I went to my next midwife appointment by chance with a different midwife who instantly started talking about my consultant appontment etc which I haven't been given and how I shouldn't fly. She made it sound much more serious but still didn't say much. Luckily I've not had any bleeding so I'm taking that to mean mine really isn't a serious case and they are just being cautious. I'm actually hoping it means its moved. But I'll update you when I actually get to see what the consultant says and then again when I've had my 36 week scan.

I started a similar thread in the Caesarean section and a couple of ladies replied there if you want to see what they said

Hey thanks for your reply... I actually wrote on your thread earlier hahaha.

How long till your next scan? Hope you get the result your hoping for & it moves. I am only 23 weeks & have to wait till 36 to find out. How come they scanned you at 32?

What are your thoughts on c section? Xx

Hey thanks for your reply... I actually wrote on your thread earlier hahaha.

How long till your next scan? Hope you get the result your hoping for & it moves. I am only 23 weeks & have to wait till 36 to find out. How come they scanned you at 32?

What are your thoughts on c section? Xx

I don't know why they did a scan at 32, that was the date I was given. When it hasn't moved at that scan the sonographer said they usually call people back for another at 34 weeks but as that wasn't a long wait she would get me back at 36 weeks to give it more time to move. I think different places do things differently. The midwife I saw on Thursday who said I need a consultant appointment made it sound like I should have had that already so I'm hoping that comes through quickly so I can speak to somebody properly. Obviously I'd rather not have a c section but I'd quite like to know how likely it is etc. I'm hoping that as most ladies had bleeding by 34 weeks I'm going to be a lucky one who has it move and that's why I've not bled.

I will try and keep you updated.

I was told I have a low lying placenta, completely covering the os, at 14 weeks. I was told that as mine was Ccompletely covering it probably wouldn't move.
Most placenta previas do move without causing any problems, which is why they often don't go into much detail.

I googled too, read about big bleeds etc, and then I asked my mw what I should do if it happens. She told me it probably won't happen, but if it did call labour ward etc.

Anyway, I was glad I googled and asked because at 17 weeks I had a large, bright red bleed in the night. It was a lot of blood. But I knew why it was happening so less scary. I phoned labour Ward and had to go in for 2 days. The bleed slowed down quickly and then stopped. Baby is completely fine and I've been allowed home, just to take it easy and no sex or heavy lifting. The scan showed that the placenta is now reaching but not covering the os, so it's already moved in 3 weeks. The doctors seemed confident it should continue to move and just resolve itself.

So whilst most people have no problems, I did find it helpful to know a bit of what could happen as otherwise I would have panicked much much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->