Low morphology means nothing!

I think to imply that people have been hurtful and harmful with their words is harsh and extremely unfair.

I sincerely doubt that anyone decided to post in this thread because they had a disregard for others or their experiences - far from it! The fact that this thread is featured in the section 'long term trying to conceive' suggests that we have all (unfortunately) had to experience the emotional roller coaster of ttc over a long period of time and we know all to well the heartache and frustration of that journey and the cruel glimmers of hope during the long 2ww. I don't think for a second people would want to add to that pain but rather they have posted their true experiences in an attempt to offer support or a different perspective based on real experiences. Many of us are surrounded by people who have (thankfully for them) managed to get pregnant easily and so we have no one to talk to who truely understands the process. We are left feeling very isolated and this is why these forums are so important.

Of course there are reasons we are not getting pregnant and I would never disregard medical opinion- I'm desperate to find answers hence why I have put myself through endless tests- but I also want to know how accurate those tests are and if there is anything I can as a result. I think it's important for people to realise that spermatozoa analysis results can and do change within a three month period- that is a fact. By explaining that, I never intended on giving them false hope nor am I implying that results will change for everyone but rather I wanted to make people aware of the information I was given at a time when were emotionally exhausted and were given the impression that one set of sperm analysis results were 100% accurate. We are taught from a very young age how 'not to get pregnant' and how to use contraception but there is very little accessible information about temporary/ permanent infertility, what the processes are, what the potential problems might be, how to improve our chances of getting pregnant, age restrictions, iui, Ivf etc. we are all learning the hard way, as we stumble along this road.

I apologise if my post appeared arrogant. None of us have the luxury of having "years and years and/or even decades to wait around hoping and praying they'll eventually be able to overcome a morphology issue"- we have all posted in a long term ttc forum! I am in my mid 30's and am very aware of time ticking. This is why it's important for people to hear and learn about the whole picture and this is why 'responsible' threads and forums are important.

I wanted to respond to the initial email that heykitty is referring to above but I was unsure of how exactly to word it....So what I am going to say is that I agree that there is so little known about morphology and therefore it is a very difficult issue to have to deal with and yes it is true that some ppl can father children with very small morphology percentages and others unfortunately it seems can't. However I am pretty confident that the reason for this thread was to give us all some hope in a difficult time and to say that it has happened to some people and they were simply sharing very encouraging stories. I don't think for a second anybody was meaning to come across as insensitive or hurtful.

My husband's first SA a year ago came back with 0% morph. His 2nd one 6 month's later came back at 2% so I understand exactly what it's like to be dealing with that and i have spent a lot of time on this forum and on the internet trying to do research. Again our Dr. said it could still happen so we should keep trying and try to stay positive as well..... I know that can be easier said than done and nothing stops the pain, frustration and despair month after month when AF appears.

Thank you for putting it so well HeyKitty and to the ladies that felt it was harmful and hurtful I am sorry that you feel that way but please I really do think this post was meant to encourage and offer advice and help. It did help me when I was looking for answers especially for something as confusing and not well documented as morphology. I hope in the future they will understand more about morphology and the role it plays on individuals and their chances with TTC.

heykitty - I never quoted you nor was I referencing anything you said. I was responding to the original post and intent of this thread. Read the title. Poster stated that morphology means nothing and shouldn't even be considered as a factor when ttc long term. They also made the assertion that vitamin regiments never help.

I stand by every single word I said.

I'm glad it helped you whiteorchid. I'm glad it offered you hope.

Unfortunately not everyone is going to see it that way and I do think such assertions completely denying studies and science are dangerous depending on who is reading (those deeply immersed in the grief of infertility struggles especially).

heykitty - I never quoted you nor was I referencing anything you said. I was responding to the original post and intent of this thread. Read the title. Poster stated that morphology means nothing and shouldn't even be considered as a factor when ttc long term. They also made the assertion that vitamin regiments never help.

I stand by every single word I said.

I completely agree. I was never trying to say that the sharing of stories is harmful or hurtful - they are not! They are hopeful! I just feel that the name of this thread and as messica pointed out, the original post is saying that morphology "means nothing" and uses one success as the basis for saying that. I'm all for encouragement, success stories, questioning what we can do beyond what the doctors have told us, etc. I just think it is hurtful to say that it means nothing when people (just like us in this thread) are struggling or have struggled and suffered because of low morphology. It definitely means something but there is much more to be learned about it.

I'm sorry if my post seemed directed at someone else or a different post. I should have been more specific.

Hi ladies,

Just a quick update from my last post. DH is going to get a SA done soon. He hasn't had one done since August 2013. I am hoping this time his morphology will be better. He has improved his diet and is taking FertileAid. I went for an IVF consult and the doctor told me that we have an excellent chance at having children. The previous SA had shown 0% morphology, but good count and motility. I was also able to get pregnant in August 2013, but unfortunately miscarried. I am going to get a HSG done and DH will be getting a SA done this month. If all goes well, the doctor suggested IUI with Chlomid. I really REALLY hope that it works and we don't have to go he IVF route. I thought he would have suggested that right off the bat. I'm also a little worried because my OB told me that I have a bicornate uterus based on the sonogram. The fertility doctor stated that you cannot diagnose with a sonogram, but rather, you need an HSG done. He did see a horn though. I really hope this is not the case!!

21 months ttc. Morph 1%.
Count 12mil.

So I think less than 4% does make things pretty hard :/

21 months ttc. Morph 1%.
Count 12mil.

21 months ttc. Morph 1%.
Count 12mil.

Well, I think here the problem is not just the morph, but also the count is pretty low. Even if the morph were good, conception would still be difficult. I wonder if whatever it is that is causing the low count is also causing the morphology?

Anyway, I see that you have ICSI scheduled so no doubt that should do the trick! I wish you the best of luck.

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to let you know that I managed to conceive with 100% poor sperm morphology - so it is possible! I went for my first sonogram at 8.5 weeks and the doctor said that everything looks really good and I saw the heart beat! I'm still praying that everything goes alright (i'll be 10 weeks on Sunday) as I also have a bicornate uterus. In April, I went for an IVF consult and was in the process of scheduling an HSG, but then I got pregnant. There is hope after all :) I was especially nervous since my 1st pregnancy last year ended up not being viable and it had taken me 10-11 months to conceive. This time it took me 5 months. I started using Clearblue Fertility Monitor to give me the best days possible for conception.

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to let you know that I managed to conceive with 100% poor sperm morphology - so it is possible! I went for my first sonogram at 8.5 weeks and the doctor said that everything looks really good and I saw the heart beat! I'm still praying that everything goes alright (i'll be 10 weeks on Sunday) as I also have a bicornate uterus. In April, I went for an IVF consult and was in the process of scheduling an HSG, but then I got pregnant. There is hope after all :) I was especially nervous since my 1st pregnancy last year ended up not being viable and it had taken me 10-11 months to conceive. This time it took me 5 months. I started using Clearblue Fertility Monitor to give me the best days possible for conception.

Congratulations Faithfully!! I'm so happy for you!! I wonder if the Fertilaid helped with the morph. I guess if nothing else, it didn't hurt!

Congratulations Faithfully!!! That is fantastic news :D Who knows if the Fertilaid did actually improve things enough?!? My DH is currently on the 7 a day Fertilaid (normal, count boost & motility boost) so I am definitely hoping for a miracle! I hope all works out and you have a H&H 9 months :dance:

Faithfully - that is terrific news, so happy for you!

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to update everyone... On our first SA sperm count was at 31MIL with 41% motility and 4% morphology. For the following 3 months my husband cut down on the drinking, started taking his supplements, and even took clomid for a while. On his new SA we were shocked to see that his count plummeted to 5MIL. WTF? We go super discouraged after that.. so we skipped our 2nd IUI and went straight to IVF..

and here we are now.. I started a Youtue channel for my cycle updates... check it out! https:www.youtube.com/lovecomadani

haleiwamama
Same happened to is 1st SA 260 million but 0% morph, took supplements (DH not great t taking but did take something for 3 months) but 2nd SA 3 mil.... Now NTNP...
Good luck on your IVF!!! FX for you

Thanks for all the love and support :) DH actually had his sperm tested end of March and it was still showing as 0% normal. I'm thinking that Fertilaid made his count even higher which gave us a better chance at getting pregnant (even though count was initially fine - the more, the better!)

That's great to know Faithfully! I'm really REALLY hoping for our miracle! So happy for you :D

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to update everyone... On our first SA sperm count was at 31MIL with 41% motility and 4% morphology. For the following 3 months my husband cut down on the drinking, started taking his supplements, and even took clomid for a while. On his new SA we were shocked to see that his count plummeted to 5MIL. WTF? We go super discouraged after that.. so we skipped our 2nd IUI and went straight to IVF..

and here we are now.. I started a Youtue channel for my cycle updates... check it out! https:www.youtube.com/lovecomadani

Not to worry you or anything, but the first SA my husband had was after we found out he had testicular cancer - and he had 4% morphology and 33 million.
Two years later, and one year after chemotherapy, his SA shows 23 million and 50% morphology. That is a HUGE jump in morphology, and I think the cancer was making the sperm unhealthy previously, contributing to that terrible 4%.
If it hasn't already been done, may I suggest having your spouse tested for various things to see what might be responsible for unhealthy sperm?
Most men with testicular cancer don't know they have it for a very long time. Not to scare you - it's actually rather rare - but now that it happened to us I want everyone to be aware of it and get checked out! :hugs:

Hi ladies,

Not to worry you or anything, but the first SA my husband had was after we found out he had testicular cancer - and he had 4% morphology and 33 million.
Two years later, and one year after chemotherapy, his SA shows 23 million and 50% morphology. That is a HUGE jump in morphology, and I think the cancer was making the sperm unhealthy previously, contributing to that terrible 4%.
If it hasn't already been done, may I suggest having your spouse tested for various things to see what might be responsible for unhealthy sperm?
Most men with testicular cancer don't know they have it for a very long time. Not to scare you - it's actually rather rare - but now that it happened to us I want everyone to be aware of it and get checked out! :hugs:

Wish4another1 WTH! thats a serious drop!!

minuet: I've thought of that too...Mine is so stubborn.. I've been asking him to see a doctor for the longest time but since he's a health enthusiast he feels there's nothing wrong... even getting him to take the pills was like pulling teeth...
were there any other symptoms with your husband?

Wish4another1 WTH! thats a serious drop!!

minuet: I've thought of that too...Mine is so stubborn.. I've been asking him to see a doctor for the longest time but since he's a health enthusiast he feels there's nothing wrong... even getting him to take the pills was like pulling teeth...
were there any other symptoms with your husband?

Yes. The most obvious symptom is that one of the testicles "feels different". Most guys notice this on their own, and tend to ignore it. The cancer as it spreads, turns the tissue from "spongy" or however you want to describe it, lol, to firmer, harder, than the other one. It also didn't hurt to pinch/squeeze.
It definitely was very noticeable and from what I understand this is further along in the cancer progression
My husband noticed this change and looked it up online, and cancer was one of only real causes. Two weeks later he was concerned enough to go in to the doctor, and they removed it the SAME day.
Thankfully he was still early on, as cancer goes - stage 1, and it hadn't spread beyond the testicle. But that was the only symptom - and one you can check for yourself without making him suspicious lol.
If you suspect cancer as a possibility at all, you can get blood work done to test for cancer markers - AFP, HCG, and one other I forget. Men should NOT have HCG in their blood - this is a sign of a germ cell tumor.
In fact there was a story somewhere about a man who turned a pregnancy test positive and found that way he had cancer!
Anyway, hope I helped and didn't worry you! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->