Lump in my boob

_Meep_

Two girls
Reaction score
Found it last night around 2 am when my 2 year old woke up crying and I had to breastfeed her.

I obviously touch this boob every day for this reason and have never felt it before so I feel like it has come out of nowhere. It is small, below the nipple/on the underside, I can see it ... it hurts a bit (which I believe is a good sign) and is round and relatively soft - not irregular, hard or gritty feeling as they tell you to look for with cancer. It is also very close to the surface - not deep in the breast.

I am mid-cycle at the moment and have developed a zit of epic proportions on my cheek which is very rare for me. I didn't even really get any when I was a teenager. So I am wondering if my hormones are just insane this month ... I took the morning after pill a couple of months ago but have had two normal cycles since so I'm not sure that could have anything to do with it. :shrug:

I am also coming to the end of my breastfeeding journey after going non-stop for over 5 years. My toddler feeds once a day at the most and I have very little milk left, don't experience letdowns anymore, etc. I have to squeeze my boob in order for her to get anything at all out - has been this way for months - so this is also a possibility in my head, though I'm not sure why.

My feeling is that it is a cyst or something to do with a milk duct. I am a bit nervous though.

Does anyone have any experience with breast lumps, either benign or malignant? What did they feel like?

I have an appointment with the GP at 3:30 this afternoon.

It could be an enlarged gland. I've had a lot of these and been to the Dr's a lot. I even had a biopsy on one but still turned out to be just an enlarged gland.
It could be a milk duct though. With coming to the end of breastfeeding you might be able to feel more changes in your breasts. Hoping everything is OK and that the doctor will give you reassurance this afternoon <3

Thanks Bev. <3 If I lift the boob up it looks sort of like a pea under the skin with a wiggly area next to it, sort of like a vein shape, that also looks lumpy. It's right on the edge of the areola, where I would expect a milk duct to be, but I don't know that much about it really!!

Hate the thought of getting my saggy old pair out for examination lol but it's got to be done so I'll update when I've been later ...

It sounds like a milk duct especially if it's near a vein. I find mine push the veins out a bit!
Good luck :)

Having had cancer (ovarian), cancer is NOT routine or by the book. Just because a doctor or tv show, your grandma, etc says " cancer would feel/look like"...doesnt mean anything. My cousin has breast cancer and the only reason she found it was her cat scratched her breast and fluid came out. That's it. No lumps or bumps. My mother in law found her breast cancer when a young child hit her breast and she felt a lump.

I would go to the dr and see what's going on. Push for an answer, even if it's just a simple plugged duct.

So I went ...

It was pretty embarrassing having to get my breastfeeding-ravaged old pair out and be stared at lol. She copped a good feel which really hurt as the lumpy bit is painful ... she said most breast lumps they feel are much deeper in the boob whereas mine is right under the skin though not in it. I have to go back in a week to have it looked at again, by which point she reckons it may well have gone away again if it is hormonal.

She didn't seem too urgent so I am guessing it isn't likely to be sinister, but still hoping it goes away before next week ...

That sounds reassuring. Hopefully it will be gone soon <3

It was just a GP. I am not sure what the equivalent is over there ...

Fairly confident I guess. Because I was sure it has just popped up, she said it was early days. If it hasn't gone away in a week then they will look into it further I think. I had a read up on plugged ducts and found an image of one on Google that looks pretty similar so I reckon that may well be what it is. It REALLY hurts ...

Last edited:
I think it is a bit smaller/softer today and doesn't hurt as much. It's still there though ... makes me feel really creeped out every time I touch it. It's gross.

I'm glad it's a bit smaller.
I understand, I hate touching mine too. Checking them makes me so squeamish.

Isn't it horrible? :sick: Really hope this thing isn't permanent.

I went for my second appointment today as it hasn't gone away but I do think it is smaller and less painful.

Different doctor this time and she said it almost definitely isn't anything scary but has referred me for a breast ultrasound as a precaution. I should get the appointment in the next two weeks, so all in all, not too bad.

I'm glad your doctor isn't too concerned. Good luck for the ultrasound <3

Thanks! Can barely feel it this morning so it's very likely to be fine I think. Phew!

Well I got the appointment two days ago by letter and cancelled it straight away as the lump/pain have both gone in the last few days. :)

Probably hormonal I think as it popped up around ovulation and then was finally gone about a day or two before AF started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->