Made to feel bad

dippy dee

Reaction score
Ds1 who is 5 has eczma for which he has wet wraps etc for, well last week the school sent him home with a letter asking if he could have face paints on for the nativity play, i totally for got about it as ds2 and baby have had bad chests and croupe so i didn't sign them, well today ds1 came home and his face is in a major flare up as they have put face paints on him, i explained to him that he can't have them on for the play tomorrow and he is now crying his eyes out, he has autism so doesn't take things like this well but i am now made to feel bad, do i smother him in cream tomorrow and tell the school that as soon as the play is over he is to have it removed immediately or do i stand my ground and say no and he feel bad as he is the only one with no paint on??? I know in my heart i should say no but it is heart breaking.
I had to come to a compromise with the school as they do swimming as part of their coriculum (sp?) and refused to let him sit out on bade flare up days due to not having a doctors note so now he has to go with creams, lotions and potions and they give him access to the teachers showers for before and after and so far this has worked but i am at a stuck what to do now.
Do i play good cop and letr him or bad cop and stand my ground?
Sorry this is a long rant.

How bad was his face? My DS only ever had it behind his knees. And i just snoothered him in cream, put a wet bandage on him and the next day it was away. not ideal for a face.

i think if it was a bad flare up and took a while to recover id say no. but if it cleared pretty quick id let him go ahead. u will no urself. as hes autistic as well, is it worth upsetting him... hard situation xx

Thankyou hun, he has it bad from head to toe and is on steroid based creams, double base creams and wet wraps, his body usually takes 4-5 days to clear up to a point we can stop using the steroids for a while and he is on wet wraps alot atm but his face is a hard one.
Dh said perhaps i could compromise and let him have it on his forehead and a bit on his nose as these haven't flared up of possibly just a small amout on so ds doesn't feel left out.
I think i need to see his teachers in the morning and also speak to his one to one helper at the school to see if they can help.

Ooops, very hard. I can understand that you don't want him to be left out, but still it is wiser to say no. My husband suffers from it and has all the creams and stuff. He says he would let him use the paint or at least some, because it will always be there anyways and a play is only once a year. That is a memory and should be a happy one.
I don't know though, it is a very hard decision.

Aww it is a hard one, i agree with the mask suggestion. That way hes not left out and his healths not suffering xx

I dont think the school should have done it with out your permission in the first place. But thats in the past now. I feel that you have to do whats best for your childs health and as a parent that can be very diffucult becasue offen the child doesnt understand.

I thought about a mask, perhaps ask the school if they can put on the bare minimum that they can get away with

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->