Make Bradford British.... Ch4 1st March 9pm

I liked her "dickhead " comment. But why is she on this programme?? Ilkley has never been part of Bradford :shrug: it has a Leeds postcode.
There are rich affluent areas under the BD postcode like Skipton where I am originally from so why pick a women from leeds?

So jel - Id love a northern accent, i just sound like a farmer :haha:

Lellow you can have my northern accents any day. I hate it lol

Next week looks intense!

Enjoyed that, hopefully next 2 programmes will be good x

I watched and I was cringing alot. Especially at the bits where they were talking about "P*** Bashing" and "Black B********". I don't know why that guy kept going on about that.

I think and my god I hate to admit it, those terms are quite common amongst a certain type of white people, especially after a certain age. Ive never heard the word, bashing after P but P is most certainly used 'up here' to describe anyone who is Asian whether they come from Pakistan or not.
However much I am embarrassed to admit it, my granddad (92) still uses the shorted term of 'worthy oriental gentleman' Cringe!

I feel that the language some people use say at a dinner table or in the pub is very different to what they use if they were in the company of say someone Asian or black. Which is what i think we're going to see next week. Individuals can be very tolerant of another individual. Where as a group we someone think its okay to single people or another group of people out

I agree with Nic.
I know people who really are not racisit, but they always refer to the corner shop as the P Shop. Which is highly ironic as it's run by an Indian couple!! I've heard people use the P word to describe anyone Asian, I hate it and I tend to say something if it's someone I know well enough but I dont always think it's used to be derogatory.
Same as round here calling people of mixed race "half-caste" It happens purley out of ill education rather than tying to be racist. That particular term makes me cringe, I hate it x

Does anyone know about the real citizenship test? Do you have to pass it or go home? My OH and I were talking and he thought that if you had a baby here then they couldnt get you to leave anyway, as your child would be british but I'm not sure? x

My friend has a baby with a Turkish man living in this country. They can and will deport you, also do you know she cant even claim CB because it has to be a joint claim and he cannot claim any benefits. I was like WTF your kids British (born here)
I dont know if its pass or go home. I think if it is if you want to become a British national, rather than live here as a legal immigrant

Nibblenic, is your friend herself British? If she is and the child has a british birth certificate then she can claim all benefits that are appropriate for her & her child (she can claim child benefit/tax credits/housing benefit) there is a misunderstanding with benefits and living with a foreign national does not stop you claiming anything (pm me if you want more information my husband is Indian so know a lot about this).

Flowerfairy- in theory they can deport you but in reality they would not be able to as article 7 of human rights says you should have a 'right to a family life' so they would be able to appeal any attempts at deportation and be able to stay here

My friend has a baby with a Turkish man living in this country. They can and will deport you, also do you know she cant even claim CB because it has to be a joint claim and he cannot claim any benefits. I was like WTF your kids British (born here)
I dont know if its pass or go home. I think if it is if you want to become a British national, rather than live here as a legal immigrant
Right. Thanks for that. My husband sometimes has a bit of a skewed opinion on things and it basically because he just listens to what other people say rather than finding out the facts. He does listen when I tell him stuff thats correct thankfully. Not totally blinkered x

Does it work the same though if it is the women that is foreign and has a baby in Britain, I was also told that they then couldn't make the women go back until the child reached 18 as it would be classed as a Britain Citizen.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, just something that I was told by another person that was 'apparently' told this by a foreign lady who had done this.

it depends, 9 times out of 10 they would be sent to live in the mothers country as the child would be deemed as being able to adapt to living there. Being born in Britain does not give you a right to being British, the child woud be able to claim citizenship through their father though (if he is British)

Article 8 to human rights is not absolute and they can and have still removed people with children born here. The human rights are almost just theoretical as in practice they just don't seem to stand.

Yes I agree with Nibblenic that even people who openly say they are not racist, behind closed doors come out with things that can be construed as prejudiced. I'll give you an example of myself, and I will hold my hands up to this as I like to challenge my own behaviour as well as others.

I live in an area with loads of EU migrants, and my goodness is the neighbourhood filthy. I spoke to people who used to live there and moved and they always say how the deterioration of the neighbourhood is directly linked to the new migrants. So I attribute this standard of living to them. Its not fair, as its a sweeping generalization, and I am sure there are plenty who take pride in their environments.

So, as I say, as far as racism is concerned, hypocrisy is rife. x

I liked her "dickhead " comment. But why is she on this programme?? Ilkley has never been part of Bradford :shrug: it has a Leeds postcode.
There are rich affluent areas under the BD postcode like Skipton where I am originally from so why pick a women from leeds?

We have friends in who live nr skipton, Thornton in craven to be precise... Love it there! It's like living in the heart beat set!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->