Making a complaint to the NHS...

Floralaura

Reaction score
On 1st March I had my gallbladder removed via keyhole..when I woke I was told 'You have a little blister from treatment' When I changed my dressings at home a few days later I was horrified..I had a huge minging blister. I went to a nurse the day after and had it popped and then covered with a iodine patch and dressing..snce then I have had to go back the nurse 2 times per week (each trip costs me £6!) and it was at on of these when I mentioned the blister and was informed by her that during surgery I had been burnt by the surgeon!! Now a month later I still have a hole in my stomach which is disgusting, infected and not getting any better. I am using silver dressings on it (which cost the NHS £10 per dressing and I have been given 20 so far!) and iodine (tho this is only to be used for 5 days and i have been using for 30!) have had course of antibiotics and I am in pain with it. I am seriously considering going to view my records of the op and then making a formal complaint over it., its going to scar but that doesnt bother me..its the fact I was not told I had been burnt and what had happened to me and I have now had a open wound for a month (and im shit scared of getting mrsa :blush:)..I want answers more than anything I suppose. I know the NHS do good things and yes I am grateful for the op in the first place but still want to take this further..would you?

i would complain id complain through pals as they were excelent with us when we had to make a complaint against our local childrens ward due to racism x

I dunno if I would complain but if you feel like you want to then you should. What sort of outcome are you looking for? If you do complain, make sure you are very clear in who you are directing the complaint to and don't drag in other names into the letter if you were happy with them. It happens often in my ward, people complain about something that has nothing to do with the ward or nurses but the charge nurse has to get involved because our ward was mentioned.

I have had a looks at pals but it doesn't seem to available in Wales.looking at the map on the site its England only I think..thanks tho Hun..x

god yes! make a complaint as soon as possible. are you on antibiotics or anything?

I dunno if I would complain but if you feel like you want to then you should. What sort of outcome are you looking for? If you do complain, make sure you are very clear in who you are directing the complaint to and don't drag in other names into the letter if you were happy with them. It happens often in my ward, people complain about something that has nothing to do with the ward or nurses but the charge nurse has to get involved because our ward was mentioned.

I think this is why I should just request to see my notes first to see exactly what happened to me before complaining..the ward/nurses were ok in the most, though their after op care did lack a little but that doesnt bother me as such..From what I gather from research I have either been urn with the tool used to dissect the g/bladder or a pad has gone on fire whilst on me..not knowing which/what it is bothers me quite alot along with the hole I now 'own' makes me angry and I want someone to say sorry and for them to know that patients should be told when they have been injured and what has happened to them, if that makes sense?

if you are really unhappy about it which you seem to be then yes i'd put a compliant in
it sounds like your operation wasn't fully explained after to you which i think it should have been
i agree the nhs do great things everyday but even if your complaint means they take the time to fully explain things to future patients then it will have a good outcome

I would complain. If they have injured you and then lied about it and now you are suffering because of it then you need to let someone know.

You don't necessarily have to make a claim for compensation but you deserve an apology. And if you are out of pocket for the travel expenses etc for an injury they caused through accident or carelessness then you wouldn't be unreasonable in expecting some small compensation to make up for that at the very least.

It would be worth checking your records though to see why you were burnt. Sometimes they do burn you on purpose to cauterise wounds but if you have blistered this badly it sounds like something went wrong somewhere. I had a wound cauterised and this didn't happen to me.

Really? Her injury sounds horrible and it isn't getting better. I'm just interested but why wouldn't you complain?

I would complain. If they have injured you and then lied about it and now you are suffering because of it then you need to let someone know.

You don't necessarily have to make a claim for compensation but you deserve an apology. And if you are out of pocket for the travel expenses etc for an injury they caused through accident or carelessness then you wouldn't be unreasonable in expecting some small compensation to make up for that at the very least.

It would be worth checking your records though to see why you were burnt. Sometimes they do burn you on purpose to cauterise wounds but if you have blistered this badly it sounds like something went wrong somewhere. I had a wound cauterised and this didn't happen to me.

Although I am out of pocket from going back and forth to the nurse (next appointment is tomorrow in fact) its only about £60ish I think so far so I am not wanting to get that back (Tho I was told as I get tax credits you can get your travel expenses back?) its more wanting a aplology and to have them admit that they did 'whatever they did' to me..
Its not a purpose burn as there is no keyhole incision there, its just this wound..my original thought was it was a friction blister from rubbing of equipment on me but when I saw the nurse and mentioned friction she informed me it was a proper burn form heat and mentioned a diotherm..which I think is what they use to dissect the g/bladder before removal or can be a pad to conduct heat on the body and these have before caught fire and caused a burn (this is a lady who it happened to during a c-section https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/...-legal-action-over-burn-claim-84229-22689556/ tho mine seems to be larger than hers) I keep thinking about being on fire during it and want to know exactly what happened and have someone hold their hands up for it.
Someone asked about anti-bitoics..I have been on them and no improvement happened. The wound is still very red and angry around the edges and manky in the middle :nope:

Can I ask which hospital you had your op at, if you dont mind. x

Although I am out of pocket from going back and forth to the nurse (next appointment is tomorrow in fact) its only about £60ish I think so far so I am not wanting to get that back (Tho I was told as I get tax credits you can get your travel expenses back?) its more wanting a aplology and to have them admit that they did 'whatever they did' to me..
Its not a purpose burn as there is no keyhole incision there, its just this wound..my original thought was it was a friction blister from rubbing of equipment on me but when I saw the nurse and mentioned friction she informed me it was a proper burn form heat and mentioned a diotherm..which I think is what they use to dissect the g/bladder before removal or can be a pad to conduct heat on the body and these have before caught fire and caused a burn (this is a lady who it happened to during a c-section https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/...-legal-action-over-burn-claim-84229-22689556/ tho mine seems to be larger than hers) I keep thinking about being on fire during it and want to know exactly what happened and have someone hold their hands up for it.
Someone asked about anti-bitoics..I have been on them and no improvement happened. The wound is still very red and angry around the edges and manky in the middle :nope:

That sounds awful and I'm not surprised you are upset about it all.

There's something quite frightening about being put under anaethetic anyway, you are asleep and strangers are doing things to your body (even though they are doing it to help you). But it scares me, being asleep and having strangers poke and prod at me and then waking up with no idea what might have been going on. You are vulnerable and you want to know that they have taken care of you.

And if you are thinking that something on you caught fire, that you were on fire even, that's bound to be distressing and frightening for you. :hugs::hugs::hugs: I'd be in bits about that.

I think you deserve your answers and you deserve your apology. I hope you get both. :hugs:

And that poor woman in your link :shock:

Her burn looks bad enough, if yours is bigger then you really have to complain and get answers. :hugs:

That sounds awful and I'm not surprised you are upset about it all.

There's something quite frightening about being put under anaethetic anyway, you are asleep and strangers are doing things to your body (even though they are doing it to help you). But it scares me, being asleep and having strangers poke and prod at me and then waking up with no idea what might have been going on. You are vulnerable and you want to know that they have taken care of you.

And if you are thinking that something on you caught fire, that you were on fire even, that's bound to be distressing and frightening for you. :hugs::hugs::hugs: I'd be in bits about that.

I think you deserve your answers and you deserve your apology. I hope you get both. :hugs:

There certainly is, I had only been under once before, when I was 6 for tonsils out so I was a terrified beforehand and like you said having no knowledge of what they have done when you were under..especially then to wake up with a burn :dohh:
I have been taking pics of my wound every 2-3 days when I change the dressings so I have a record of it..I have ust done it today after a shower and *touch wood* it doesn't look as infected today so may be on the way to healing!
Thank you for saying I deserve the answers..thats how I feel but I wasnt sure if I should persue it all but I have decided I will defo do it now as I do have the rght to know..:hugs: xx

:hugs: of course mistakes will happen but that doctor that did it should have taken the time to come over, explain what went wrong and apologise

Really? Her injury sounds horrible and it isn't getting better. I'm just interested but why wouldn't you complain?

dunno really. im not one for complaining unless i want compensation. its human error, although yes, op should have been told.

If you are not happy about the care you received, you should complain. This link has good advice:

https://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/complaints/Pages/NHScomplaints.aspx

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->