• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Making It All Affordable!

Mango

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm finally starting to get together a list of the things I need for when baby arrives. :happydance:

However, being that this is my first lil one, I am having some difficulty in determining what is necessary and what isn't, even with fam's help. Ideally I'd like to get together a concise list so that I don't spend some ridiculous amount only to find out later that I didn't need half of the stuff....so for those of you that have been down this road before, what did you find to be a MUST HAVE for baby?

Help!:wacko:

This is my first as well but i thought I would add what I THINK is a must have

Pram
Car seat
Moses basket
Cot
Clothes
Sleep Suits
Vest
Hats
Mittens
Socks
Nappy sacks
Diappers/ nappies
Changing mat
Play mat
Bouncer
Changing bad
Creams/powder/shampoo.
Sterlizer
Bottles/teats
Thermometer
safety kit
teat & bottle brush cleaner
Nail clippers
breast pads
maternity pads
Bibs/ towels/ muslins/ blankets/ flunnels/ cotton wool
baby monitor (if wanted not necessary)
Bottle warmer (if wanted not necessary)
baby milk - if not breast feeding

There is also another list Ive made for hospital bag, everything is going to add to quiet a bit of money , but most things you can get cheap.

Hope that has helped a bit

im only 17 weeks and have got stuff already , plus allot of family are buying me the big things. I am so organised already got my list and ticking off as going along.

Thanks Firsttimer!! Our lists are virtually the same so that does help a lot. Sometimes it just seems like there is way too much on their but I guess there is no getting around most things huh.

wow - brilliant! im guuna print off ur lists and hopefully when ive had my first scan start shopping! cant wait - soooo excited!!!!!! xxxx

Hmm my first baby but I thought I'd share my list too :baby:

Pram
Carseat
Foot muff
Changing bag

Cot - although its a travel cot too but well padded and changing thing ontop
Swing (a wanted thing)
Bouncer
Monitors
Moses basket (2 for convenience due to type of monitors we have and got one from friend)
Moses basket sheats etc
Play mat/gym
Bottle/night feed warmer
Steriliser & bottles

Bath seat
Bath thermometer
Johnsons stuff for bath
Hooded bath towels
nappy bin (preference)

Nappies
wipes
Changing mat
Dummies
Clothes
grow-bags (2)
Blankies
Snow suits

I want a calpol thermometer & grobag room thermometer before baby arrives.

This is our list of what we have. We've been really lucky because my wee sister had a son 9 months ago (coincidence? lol). The ones with the star * are things that I feel are essential.

Crib*
Moses Basket
Cot bed
Cloth Nappies*
Nappy bin/liners/wraps/etc*
Muslins*
Changing unit
Baby bath
Baby bouncers*
Bright, colourful toys
Sheets/blankets*
Pram & car seat*
Baby sling
Various clothes*
Soaps/shampoo/etc
Towels
Baby gates* (needed now coz we have dogs)
Baby monitors*

I think that's about it. Because I'm getting loads of clothes from my sister, I don't know what I've got lol. But I have ages 0-3 months, 3-6 months and a few 6-9 months.

Here's my list, we really are on a budget and I don't believe that babys need very much ;)...

Cotbed & mattress (this will be used as a co-sleeper for as long as bubs wants)
Mattress sheets
Combined pushchair/carseat (got this half price thanks to a post by Wobbles)
1 sling and 1 mei tai (the pushchair's for DH, carriers for me!)
Clothes inc hats, bibs, anti-scratch mits etc (no outfits, family will buy all that when bubs arrives!)
Breastpump & bottles (which won't be used for (I'm hoping) a long, long time!)
2 or 3 packs of newborn nappies (for the first couple of days)
Cloth nappies, wraps, liners & a nappy bucket
Baby bath (my mum gave me mine!)
A couple of shawls (again, mum gave me mine - she's a horder!)
2 bath towels
Changing mat

I bought some of the stuff off ebay and the cloth nappies are part of a pack that includes the nappies, wraps and liners from birth to toddler, I saved a ton of money on that.

Oh yeah! Forgot to add that I did a spreadsheet and wrote in all the prices for EVERYTHING on the list then challenged myself to find it all cheaper. So far saved £350 just by shopping around :)

Things I have got so far are

Play mat
breast pump & bottles
Monitor
A few New born clothes 0-3 months
baby box with all creams, oils, lotions etc.
A few wipes & nappy sacks
2 packs of 28 Newborn pampers
Gripe Water
Sudo Cream
A few bibs
A shawl

My family are getting me most of the big things needed so that is a big help

Dont forget

Baby bath and sponge support
cot bumper and bedding
nurseing chair to breast feed on
newborn baby clothes
nurseing maternity bras

:headspin:

OK. Here's me being totally brutal. We've been on a pretty tight budget as you can imagine having to buy two of everything. Here's things on the lists already posted that I think you DON'T need!

Moses basket/crib - they only last a few weeks and a cotbed does just as well and has a longer life.

Bouncer - not sure if door bouncer or chair bouncer was meant. I wouldn't get one straight away. Assess whether you want a door bouncer later on. For instance, I would get one for Tom because he's really into standing up but I know Charlotte wouldn't be fussed about it. Chair bouncers, they've only really started being comfortable in them in the last few weeks (no idea why). A lot of people I know bought their children those bumbo seats instead as they can now hold themselves upright.

Creams/powder/shampoo. - you don't need these as you can wash the baby in water only and they barely have any hair at birth (usually). We started using bubble bath when they were a couple of months old although that was more for our benefit than theirs. We use a body lotion for a nice massage for them after the bath, but I wouldn't say it's essential. Even now, we don't use any shampoo and baby powder is not meant to be great for little lungs and my antenatal classes advised against it.

Room thermometers you can get free from all sorts of places and some monitors have thermometers built into them.

Breast pads - you may not need. See how it goes and get them afterwards.

Muslins - never used. Back to my suggestions of a load of cheap towels (Wobbles!)

Bath seat - you don't need. In fact they seem happier having the freedom to splash about.

Bath thermometers - we got one with our baby bath, but you don't really need one of those either. You could bath them in the basin at first if you didn't want to bath them in the big bath early on. Sponge supports aren't that great either. We have a couple but they still slide about on them. My Mum got me a bath mat from Morrisons for a quid and that does the trick.

Changing unit - you don't need. We change them on the floor on a change mat which is a lot safer when they are rolling all over (they seem to enjoy the kick about without nappies on) though it does kinda do your back in!

Sling - it was handy for a while when they were smaller but I barely use it now.

Gripe water - not used though I think we had infacol given which does the same but we didn't really need it. That said, if you do need it you can guarantee that it will be late at night when the chemist is shut! :lol:

Cot bumpers - you can't use until the baby can roll over so I'd wait and see if you want them or not.

Nursing chair - nice to have but not essential. Once you get the nack you can breastfeed anywhere even walking around!

I hope no-one sees this as critical of what you have already suggested but if you are really wanting to do this on a budget there are things that you don't really need.

Must go do a post in the for sale section of slings, bath sponges, etc. :lol: :blush:

Thanks Helen!! I did have a lil bath tub on my list and was wondering if I really needed it.

So, just so that I understand, the crib bumper can't be put in a new born's crib for safety reasons?

So, just so that I understand, the crib bumper can't be put in a new born's crib for safety reasons?

Yeah, it's something to do with them potentially getting stuck under them and not being able to breathe (I think). Can't remember where I saw or read about this (I thought it was in the catalogues) and can't find it now.

Moses basket for some is needed - I work from home and he does too (sometimes now) we need a moses basket in that room (office) - Bouncer also for a few weeks older. Safe an comfy in both. Door bouncers not until 6 months+ imis maddie loves her but soon gets bored plus where my office is theres nowhere to put the door bouncer in easy sight of baby. A second mose basket because of the reason we will be using one even if it is for short period its still convenient use for us and the monitors we got for upstair go under matress that would be a pain to keep disconnecting to use mose basket downstairs & office. I/we use 3 rooms - Livingroom, office & bedroom. Cot would be awkward in our room and then she has her cot in her own room for when we are ready. Really depends how your household is and the room you have.

Bath seat - I would prefer at her first few weeks to have her supported. Defo my preference.

£1.99 for a bath thermomenter that sticks easily on bath makes me more comfortable.

Room thermometer - I want a digi one again preference but for our own use also not just baby.

Changing unit thing - I was just lucky its an extra on the cot I bought however seemed to stick it out the way not sure I will use it.

Other stuff don't apply to me.

> Can't imagine buying for two must admit :D Would be exciting though x

I seen bumpers not adviseable for at least 6 months - crib & cot?

Helen I disagree with the changing unit, that I would say was the best investment for both my children-it lasted the 2.

I would honestly say it was a godsend for my back etc.x

https://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/baby-gifts-and-toys/fisher-price-infant-to-toddler-rocker.asp

tht was and is a god send to me!!!! callum still uses it, as does chloe! £40 seems alot but it does from birth to 3! and the cover is machine washable :D

The nurseing chair was only for privacy really as we have an elderly man living in the house who likes page 3 and I wouldnt feel comfortable walking around breast feeding. People do it in public though so can see your point Helen.

I wont bother about the cot bumper for now then as I remember reading that they can get thier little fingers stuck in the ties but will invest in one when she is over 6 months and rolling about.

I bought a breast pump but have kept the receipt just incase I cant breastfeed. Wanted to express by hand but heard it takes forever.

Lurker here from the TTC forum... :hi: I'm not currently preg, but I have two girls. Can I share a few tips?

Breast pumps are EXPENSIVE & I'd say wait until you actually need it to get it. Give a hand pump a try at first (mine that came with my electric one is GREAT) & wait to get the electrical pump when you need it. I have an Ameda Purely Yours, it's HALF of the price of the Medela Pump In Style & it's just as great (comparable on all the specs).

A must have is Fisher-Price's Healthy Care Booster Seat. It's all plastic, easily cleaned, folds-up to travel (to restaurants, G'ma's house, etc.). It's compact, so it's not taking up your whole eating area as a high-chair would and it grows with the baby. My DD#1 sat in it as a 4 1/2 month old at the table with us while we ate. Then, when she started eating, she sat in it with the tray and when when she got bigger, we just pushed her up to the table. She sat in it until she was 2 1/2 years old. We take it EVERYWHERE with us. It's a great place to stick a busy one year old when you're somewhere they can't explore (like when you go to a friend's who doesn't have kids & their house is a like a museum full of priceless artwork). You can give the one-or-so year old a thing of Play Doh or something to eat & they're STUCK and entertained!

Snack-trap, THE BEST invention, saves A LOT of mess clean-up when the baby's about 10 or so months old. You can order them over the Internet. You can put any dry finger food in it & it has a soft pliable plastic top, the baby can stick their fingers in to retrieve a snack, but the snack doesn't spill out when the cup is dropped or tipped over.

See if you can borrow a friend/relative's baby carrier type carseat. They're used for such a short time & invest in a nice convertible carseat for 5-40 lbs rear & front-facing. My DD#1 that's 3 is STILL in her convertible carseat. We have Britax, which are REALLY nice & REALLY safe... don't go cheap on safety. We bought ours for $199 (US... you're probably in another country, right?), which they can run $269 plus shipping on some sites. Do your research. We got ours for $199 with free shipping. They had some at that time for $180, but I didn't like the pattern--the pattern's not important if $$$ is an issue. We have the Britax "Roundabout." It's sooooo nice with safety features that make sure it's installed correctly & safely. It's REALLY easy to install carseats improperly which is dangerous. Cars go so fast & babies are so tiny & precious.

Hope all this helps! All I can say is if you find something you like, price it on the Internet and you can ALWAYS find a good deal somewhere! Good luck!

I agree with tiburon about the breast pumps,they are expensive and there is no guarantee that the baby or you will be able to breast feed.I would like to get one this time around,I BF my son for 18mths and my DH is quite confident this time round to try feeding with expressed milk,but there is always a chance that the BF won't take.I never had a moses basket my son was in a cot from the start,but Wobbles is right it depends on your situation,and have to say having a c-section the change table was a god send.I have a convertible car seat which my son is still in on occassion,I thought that was more ecomomical.I also have a rocker for the baby which replaced my bouncer,it put the baby more on my level and the baby loved the rocker,he could see what was going on.Monitors are fantastic too,even if it's just to keep your mind at ease.Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->