Making your own baby food?

Tiger22

Reaction score
I'm going to start rice cereal tomorrow but I am interested in making her baby food. Does anyone have any good recipes/suggestions/cook books? Thanks!

I didn't use recipes. I grabbed fruits and veggies and threw them in the food processor with some water and through a strainer and there we go.

I followed the recipes and guidelines for what foods to introduce, how to properly prepare them, etc, at wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com :)

Have a look at the Annabel Karmel website. She has lots of yummy recipes if you need some inspiration

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/us/
X

I just put whatever I have in the steamer / blender - usually what we are having - I also skipped the cereal bi.

I went for a fairly ad hoc way of introducing food although I started with the sweet and easily digestible veggies. I started with baby rice but decided to give it a miss after the first week as it made my LO a bit constipated!

I skipped the cereal and do BLW. He Had cucumber, necterine, anything like that first for a while, and then i gradually introduced new flavours and foods.

I just got whatever fruit or veg I wanted to try, chop into cubes, put into a colander over a pot of boiling water and mashed when soft. Then mixed with some made up whole grain cereal.

Easy and cheap!

I followed the recipes and guidelines for what foods to introduce, how to properly prepare them, etc, at wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com :)

I used this too with my first, and will again with my second. Good site!

Yep.. What we eat! I just over cook everything a bit and add salt to my own afterwards. I started just giving him the fruit and veggie part, but now he has everything.

Like pps I just mix up random combinations of fruits/veg, and now Alfie is getting older carbs and meats :)

Some of Alfie's favourites...
- mashed banana and avocado (make fresh as it doesn't keep in the fridge. No need to cook just mash when well ripened)
- butternut squash purees well with almost anything
- spinach is great to add to any veg purée to add loads of extra vitamins
- sweet potato and parsnip mix well with more watery veggies such as courgette, butternut squash etc
- mango apple and pear

I generally just mix up whatever I have to use up! I always introduce new fruits/veg on their own for a couple of days first though to check for a reaction

I always have one day where I would make lots of purée and freeze into portions so it was easy for taking out over the next few weeks.
Chicken with sweet potato/butternut squash.
Carrot and coriander (sort of mini version of the soup minus stock)
Apple and pear purée (fav!)

Always try and plan ahead what you are eating and try and make a baby friendly portion also. I still do this and DD is 10 months

:thumbup:

I had the Annabel karmel book, it was great. Didn't wean my lo till almost six months so skipped baby rice and went straight on to her recipes, which my lo loved! When he was ready for them Apricot chicken was a great fav, and pasta with tomato and Courgette.

We just stroll through the supermarket and grab fruit and veggies and blend them up with some water...now we are moving towards mashed foods. It's so much fun and I feel like I know everything that is going into her foods. It's great having it all in the freezer ready to go

I used this too with my first, and will again with my second. Good site!
Yep I love it and visit everyday lately to read recipes!
I love the print outs it has!:thumbup:

I've tried Butternut squash puree yesterday anf my LO loved it! I steamed chunks of squash for 15 minutes, pureed them in the blender and added olive oil.

I also have the Annabel Karmel book, for the schedules & recipes she provides. It's a nice book, but all the info is in the internet for free too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->