• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

March Mummies 2011

Got antibiotics cause got an infection somewhere and got a temp. Tried bf again with expressing but hardly anything came out - 1oz!

Boobs hurt lots, I'm so run down and got the shakes. Baby gets weighed tomorrow. I might try shields tonight then.

so sorry hun. sounds really awful. i hope things work out, but remember that if you need to FF there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. dont feel bad or guilty, whats best for each momma and baby is not always the same as another...:hugs:

Thanks guys. Just done a few feeds with shields and bare too andlatch is lots better. Problem now is that she just wants on it 24x7?! How much should I get with express?

Sorry to hear that Nix - try not to worry about how much you get when expressing - I remember trying to express when baby was 5 days old last time and getting less than an ounce partly cause i didn't know what I was doing and partly cause I didn't do it long enough but also because babies that age don't drink that much. They told me in the hospital to express twenty minutes each side and then gradually reduce to ten minutes a side. Hope the nipple shields will work. If you do go to FF then thats fine too. As far as mastitis goes look out for red patches on any side of your nipple - the antibiotics should clear it fast though.

Keep watching the latch - if you feed her 10-15 minutes a side then she should have had enough, unless there is a growth spurt and unless she is not actually drinking and swallowing all the time she is attached.

Early on baby's can want to feed for a long time. It helps set up your supply so if you can, try not to restrict this and feed on demand.

As for expressing, a pump is not as efficent as a baby so you may not get a lot, try not to worry. It can take a bit for your body to understand the signals from the pump. Also, your milk may not have come in yet and baby's don't need a lot of the colostrium so that could also be a reason for not getting a lot in the bottle.

As for mastis/plugged ducts, sorry, I didn't have those with E so I'm not as familar.

Keep in mind that the first 6 weeks is the hardest for breastfeeding and then it becomes easier than formula. I found setting the goal of bfing for 6 weeks helped me get through a rough beginning and successfully bf for 13 months :thumbup:

Any help I can give anyone, I would be thrilled. :hugs:

Good luck Codegirl!

I think Kirima will have to be my last baby but that fact has me looking at her and thinking about having another way too early (I mean she's not even 2 weeks old) Today my eldest heard a siren on the street and some yelling and jumped out of bed to find me saying: "Mommy I thought you had gone low and the ambulance was coming." So no, I can't do it again - Kirima is way more than worth it and I know I will long for another one one day, but now I must protect the two I have. (And she is an easy baby which is why I can think of another so soon)

:hugs: Tanikit. Hearing that out of your DD would break my heart too! Im glad Kirima is such a good baby!

how are the babies doing today???

i feel so very blessed. nathon is the sweetest most calm baby. we went shopping yesterday so i got to try out my sling on him and he just loves it. he is already pretty much sleeping through the night. he wakes up to eat 2-3 times but goes right back to sleep when he is done eating. im so amazed at what a little angel the Lord has given us. if they were all like this i could have 10 more, lol!

hope all the march babies and mommies are doing wonderful! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hi all hope were well ?! Ethan was weighed yesterday and he is bk to just below birthweight a fraction under 6lb9 not bad considering he dropped to 6lb3 !! He goes to bed with us about half ten and wakes at about 3am for a feed wind nappy change then back off to sleep he then doesn't wake until about half 7 !!!! Xx

natty- sounds like a healthy boy! mine usually goes to sleep early in the evening too, dont really know what time. he wakes up at about 2-3am eats and back to sleep. then eats again about 8-9 when we get up but goes back to sleep. soon i have to start getting up about 7 though for my girls school, my hubby is doing that right now. when that happens he will only be eating once a night too. im not getting up any earlier than i have to right now though, lol!

just got a text from rottpaw- angela- she had her baby boy and he is doing great!!!! cant wait for her to join us! :baby:

yay and congrats angela!!!! you're gonna be a great mommy!!!!:happydance:

Congrats Angela!
I am hoping I can join you guys in here in the next couple days!

Congrats Angela!

Last night eldest landed up in bed with me and DH got relegated to her room as she takes up too much space in our bed. (She spreads herself across the bed) I put Kirima in bed with me around 03:00am and while I was feeding her I looked at both my girls and felt very blessed.

Hi Ladies

I'm so glad to see this thread and that I still qualify even though Matilda was a January baby in the end! I am on week 5 of breat feeding and it is getting better so there is light at the end of the tunnel but like everyone else has said there is no shame going to formula, I had a night about 2 weeks ago where I was crying whilst breast feeding because I felt so miserable and my boobs were so sore. I was certain I would go to formula but luckily for me in the morming it didn't seem so bad so I persevered. My main concern at the moment is she seems to be grunting and straining alot so think she has tummy ache but not sure how to help her with that, anyone got any ideas?

tanikit- i know exactly what you mean. what an absolutely wonderful feeling :cloud9:

april- im glad BF is working out! it should be a beautiful experience feeding our babies, no matter how we choose to do it! when mine seem to have a tummy ache i usually lightly massage their tummy. there are also gassy drops here that i have used before. not sure if they have it where your at but its called mylicon here. main ingredient is simethicone. have used it for my last three babies and it works wonders. can even use it on a newborn, even safe after each time they eat.

Razorhips hi - when Kirima seems to have a sore tummy it is usually wind, so I try winding her more than normal and changing her position a lot usually so her back is straight and she is more upright. If that doesn't help then I will move to colic drops (we get different ones to what you have there) It has also worked for me to bend her legs a lot when changing her (I do not know why) and massage also sometimes helps. Try a variety of things.

Kirima was wide awake from 14:00 til almost 19:00 today so she seems to be growing up. In the end I bathed her and she fell asleep. She seems to be quite good about sleeping at night though she wakes 2-3 times a night but goes back to sleep usually in less than an hour which is so nice.

Hey girls!!!

I found you!! lol

How is everyone? OMG im so in love with Mason hes the most adorable gorgeous lil man, makes the whole process of the horrid hospital a distant memory now as he was worth every second! :)
We are having a NIGHTMARE feeding though, im having to just feed on demand infact i sometimes even have to wake him which i dont like doing but hes only taking 1oz at a time and it takes ages for him to do that!, ive had to change his teats on his bottles to try and encourage it, he is everso slightly tounge-tied which could also be effecting his sucking but they are not worried about it he is a very windy/mucusy baby still too so thats prob got a big part to play in it! feeding on demand though does mean often its every couple of hours and it takes alot of my time but i wanna make sure the poor mite gets enough! im off to get him weighed 2moro and i dare say hes lost a fair bit!
And boobs!! - OUCH!!!
Hope everyones doing well xx

Nightmare feeding here too!! I can't let the breast feeding go so ice started expressing and offering breast before bottle but she spear like breast milk from bottle only formula. So I think she gets a bit from breast and then top up. We are getting Tongue sniped on Wednesday so that may help with latch.

She got weighed today, lost 4.9% which they are ok with. I love her so much, it's very over whelming and I cry a lot but mainly over the feedin problems which stress me out! And then OH crys too. It's hard

She wakes every 2-3 hrs for food. Day or night. And she not thar keen on Moses or carry cot. She just loves hugs. And daddy is a sucker for giving them :)

It's rocked our world but in a good way, I love being a family.

Will keep up with everyone soon I promise xx

tanikit- absolutely love the name kirima:flower:

shells- my LO sounds a lot like yours. he was born so quick he had a lot of mucus too. it seemed to have left fairly quick though, maybe a day or two. my little guy was a week old on monday and was just starting to take 2 oz at a feeding. he would barely take an ounce before that. he was slightly jaundiced and i think it was making him tired, so i had to wake him to eat too. was important for him to eat to get rid of the jaudice. now that its gone he is still so calm and still sleeps a lot. i think changing his nipples helped a lot for him being able to eat more.

rach- if it wasnt feeding issues it would probably be sleep issues or something else, lol! im sure that soon all of this will be a distant memory and things will be so much better and easier for you. thinking and praying for you that things will get better quickly! :hugs:

tanikit- absolutely love the name kirima:flower:

shells- my LO sounds a lot like yours. he was born so quick he had a lot of mucus too. it seemed to have left fairly quick though, maybe a day or two. my little guy was a week old on monday and was just starting to take 2 oz at a feeding. he would barely take an ounce before that. he was slightly jaundiced and i think it was making him tired, so i had to wake him to eat too. was important for him to eat to get rid of the jaudice. now that its gone he is still so calm and still sleeps a lot. i think changing his nipples helped a lot for him being able to eat more.

rach- if it wasnt feeding issues it would probably be sleep issues or something else, lol! im sure that soon all of this will be a distant memory and things will be so much better and easier for you. thinking and praying for you that things will get better quickly! :hugs:

Oh im glad (in the niceset way) that someone knows what i mean!... must be cuse they were in such a rush to get out hey? lol.... i think its just frustrating more than anything cuse he wants it! he is thriving but he gets so windy and so sleepy too easy, he is also slightly jaundice. Be interesting to see what he weighs tomorrow i dare say hes lost a fair bit!... thing is im wasting so much milk cuse he likes it warm and i cant reheat it so i try and wake him up abit and he will take a couple sucks and back to sleep again but then hes hungry a couple hours later! each feed can take anything up to 1 hour hes a nightmare lol but fingers crossed it will all start coming right like your lil man is now... i get about 1- 1 and 1/2 oz down him each feed but thats only cuse i persist so much and the faster teats! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->