Materni 21

Rei

Reaction score
So I'm getting the panorama or materni 21 test done next visit at 14 weeks and was told that we will find out the gender as well. How accurate is this test? I know it's just a screening test but if they are looking at chromosomes why can't they diagnose if they can tell the gender. You have extra chromosomes are not.

Hi I had the Harmony test unsure if thats the same, but Mine came back clear after a 1 in 126 chance of DS and my little girl had Trisomy 16 a rare chromosome problem which they do not check for, It wasnt until she passed away that we found this out.
The only way would have been a needle into the fluid which I was told I didnt need as my results where clear.
I did have a gender check and she was a little girl :flower:

We've had the panorama test and will get our results on Tuesday at the latest. It feels like the longest wait.
The tests are just for screening though and not diagnostic which is why they can only tell you low risk or high risk. The screening is very detailed for certain chromosone issues and very accurate for its non invasive form, so although they cannot diagnose you, the probability is that you can weigh heavy on those results due to their complexity and proven accuracy.

The MaterniT21 will test for trisomy 21, 13 and 18, which are the most common chromosome problems. It's supposed to be 98 percent accurate if you get a 'typical chromosomes' result (meaning no issues) and 96 percent accurate if it comes back indicating a problem. And then you are advised to go on to have an amnio to confirm the dx. I had the test back in 2012 when pregnant with daughter, so the numbers may have changed since then. I think you can find the accuracy rate on their website. Unlike other tests, this one does come back with either typical chromosomes or problem, and not a ratio. (again, unless they changed something since I had it)

I had the test bc I was over 40 and my risks from the genetic counselor were 1:11 for trisomy 13 and 18 and 1:17 for trisomy 21. The test came back with typical chromosomes. When baby was born, my pediatrician came in and told me that daughter has signs of down syndrome, but bc I had the test they ruled it out. (my pediatrician didn't know I had been tested and bc I was over 40 she was 'looking' for signs of ds) Had I not had the test, I would have been worried sick.

Thank you ladies very much. Scout, just to clarify, so the materni21 CAN diagnose DS?

Thank you ladies very much. Scout, just to clarify, so the materni21 CAN diagnose DS?

From my understanding, yes. Back when I was waiting for my results, I was on a MaterniT21 message board and women would report back with their results and then come back and update if the results were correct, so I recall seeing women posting that their result came back as Trisomy 18, for example. But if it comes back as T21, 18 or 13 then the accuracy drops to 96% and you'd be asked to have an amnio to confirm. So there is a higher chance for a false positive than for a false negative result.

Thank you very much Scout. I'm going to have to ask my doctor to clarify exactly which test she is giving me because I was under the impression that it was a screening test only. THank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->