Maternity clothes

Amalee

Expecting #2!
Reaction score
As we're heading into the holidays, I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to go out and pick up a pretty maternity dress or skirt and shirt combo just in case for Christmas. I'll be about 12 weeks by then, so I doubt my body has the time to change TOO much, but I figure even an couple inches from bloat should make some clothes uncomfortable. I'm wondering, when did you all begin to show and/or need maternity wear?

With both my previous I had no bump at all at 12weeks and it would have been a waste of time/money. Even if I'd had waist thickening I think I would have chosen a slightly loose fitting normal dress over maternity at that stage. Maternity wear dresses would have swamped me until at least 30 weeks, pants were useful from about 20weeks with ds2.

I will be 15weeks at Xmas all being well and I plan on being in my usual clothes.

I was 16 weeks with dd around Christmas and I wore normal clothes. The pants were a bit tight but no one could even tell I was pregnant (I hadn't announced yet). I wore pants and a flowy shirt.

If it is your first I would say you probably don't need to bother getting maternity clothes, but I ended up buying some that year because they had some really great Christmas sales. :)

I'm 12 weeks now with 1st baby and wearing my normal clothes. Jeans are a bit tight but I have lots of joggers and jersey dresses which are fine and will be for a while.

I'm 34 weeks and don't wear many maternity items just a few staple bits, maternity clothes are a rip off although I have been lucky. By 12 weeks I wouldn't be buying any maternity clothes the cut will look silly even if you do have a bit of bump/bloat, you'd be better off looking for a style of dress in normal clothes that will flatter a bit of a bigger tummy, such as an empire line or going up a size. I could still fit in my normal sized maxi dresses now due to the cut and my bump is "average" I just haven't gained weight.

Thanks everyone! It's nice to get a bunch of response that are all on the exact same page. I'll probably just pick up something a size up or with an empire waist as suggested if I start feeling a little tight in my clothes leading up to Christmas.

Are you announcing at christmas? This is going to show how classy I am, but Walmart has the cutest baby foot and handprint maternity shirt, 2 for $14 online. I bought them very early on with my first pregnancy and they were a reasonable-looking fit on skinny mini me even before I bloated. They "fit" (you could see the maternity panel on my pants, so they were riding up just a bit) right up to when I gave birth and I was huuuge. Adorable with a cardigan and worth every penny. But there's no hiding a pregnancy in this shirt, lol.

I'm 16 weeks and still in regular clothes, though it's getting borderline with the skinny jeans, haha. I have plenty of things that will still fit for at least another month or two though.

I switched to maternity pants at 10 weeks. All my normal pants were too tight! That being said, everyone is different. At 12 weeks you may not even be showing. You could always try something flowy or something with an empire waist.

Primark have started selling maternity jeans at like £12 my fiancé swears by them the elastic band is comfy as well and at a bargain price

I started wearing maternity pants at 17.5 weeks, I could button my pants, but it would hurt where they buttoned to the point of pain. As for shirts, I mostly wear my own shirts, not maternity shirts. Every body changes at a different rate. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->