maternity leave

1st weeks of december sounds good! lol

xxxxx

LMAO! im just glad im not alone

xxxxxxx

Just to say check on the DWP website (there is a tool called TIGER) as that will give you the first date you can leave in order to still qualify for SMP. If you leave to early you wont qualify. Mine was around the 7th Sept I think so that would have made me around 29 weeks. I dont think you can leave before then and still get SMP.

Hi Sophie C... No you are definately not on your own :hugs:

I placed a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago. I really hate my job and wanted to leave even before my BFP, now I just can't wait to go! I will be finishing at my first available opportunity which is the first week of December. I may be going even sooner as I hope to have the first week in Dec as holiday :happydance:
And I'm not going back either!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance:
I know we wil be SKINT! But we will just have to live with that...

You do whats best for you and your little one... :kiss:

thanks, i used a calculator thingy online and it says the earliest i can leave is the 30/11/08 and thats not including any outstanding a/l so i hope it wont be long!!!!

thanks again xxxxxxxxx

I am leaving at 29 weeks and that can't come quick enough. Have had various problems at work, was going to be leaving on 19th Dec but brought it forward. So I have 3 and a half weeks, then a weeks holiday, and then I am going to be doing part time from then for the last 3 weeks. Can't wait!!
:happydance:

I placed a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago. I really hate my job and wanted to leave even before my BFP, now I just can't wait to go! I will be finishing at my first available opportunity which is the first week of December. I may be going even sooner as I hope to have the first week in Dec as holiday :happydance:

I'm just wondering how you can be eligible for maternity leave the 1st week in December when that would only make you 28 weeks and you can't take it any earlier can you? xx

I'm leaving 4 weeks before my due date but i'm off sick so this is when they will make me start my maternity leave anyway. x

i read somewhere that they cant make u start maternty leave 5 weeks before ur final date if ur signed off

My last day is the 24th October so ill be 37 weeks!!

x

I was thinking of asking HR if i could take 3 weeks holiday in one go and then go straight onto maternity leave. I was thinking of working up to the 5th of January then taking 25 days holiday before going on maternity at 36 weeks on the 16th February. Our new annual leave comes in in January. Is that really cheeky?

I'm just wondering how you can be eligible for maternity leave the 1st week in December when that would only make you 28 weeks and you can't take it any earlier can you? xx

Hi Caitlins Mummy,
Don't think I've made a mistake but maybe I have?
I put my due date 27th Feb into the Direct Gov tiger calculator and it said my earliest finish date is 7th Dec. I think the confusion that lies around the 29 weeks thing is to do with the following statement:

"When you can start your leave
You can start your leave any time from 11 weeks before the beginning of the week when your baby's due."

So... The week your baby is due is your 40th week... You can start your ML 11weeks before the begining of this week... Which depending on what day of the week you are due (I'm a Friday which works out really well :happydance:) some could end up leaving at 28 weeks and some will be closer to 29...

Does that make sense or have I and the tiger messed up? :blush:

I was thinking of asking HR if i could take 3 weeks holiday in one go and then go straight onto maternity leave. I was thinking of working up to the 5th of January then taking 25 days holiday before going on maternity at 36 weeks on the 16th February. Our new annual leave comes in in January. Is that really cheeky?

I don't think this is cheeky. It's fairly common practice as you still accrue holiday while your on maternity leave. Most employers generally prefer you take it either at the begining or the end of your ML so that you don't go back to work and end up taking loads more holiday time off before the end of your holiday year or miss out completely if you can't carry it over.
My holiday year is Jan to Dec and I get 5 weeks. If I could hang on until Christmas my employer has suggested I take the 1st 5 weeks of 2009 as hols and then start my ML. xxx

As you can see from my Ticker, i'm counting down to the lovely date i swan off!!
I'm leaving on the 18th Dec, which i have holiday to take me to 2nd Jan, so My Mat leave wont kick in til 5th Jan...... Squiggle's id due 17th Jan.... So i will be leaving in and @ 36week mark
I work in London and the comute is getting to me, did think of leaving a week before, however that means that My mat leave will start 23/12/2008 and i will loss loads of PAY of the end of DEC! So i have decided to stick out the final week and know i will get my Full salary for Dec!!

I don't think this is cheeky. It's fairly common practice as you still accrue holiday while your on maternity leave. Most employers generally prefer you take it either at the begining or the end of your ML so that you don't go back to work and end up taking loads more holiday time off before the end of your holiday year or miss out completely if you can't carry it over.
My holiday year is Jan to Dec and I get 5 weeks. If I could hang on until Christmas my employer has suggested I take the 1st 5 weeks of 2009 as hols and then start my ML. xxx

Thanks for that Moo, youre doing exactly what i want to do, my leave also runs from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year but i honestly thought that asking for all of it before maternity would be pushing my luck. I thought they might make me break it down to like 15 days off a month but now that i know you are doing it i feel very encouraged! Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->