Maternity Pay 2010

Hey Girls,
I know I get told off for being political, but this is on the hit list for the tories so when we have the general election (which has to be before Mid-next year) if they get in this will certainly not happen.

I've also read a briefing at maternityaction.org.uk stating that the lab government isn't likely to honour the SMP extension any more, due to the increased cost to businesses (especially small businesses) during the recession.

It's here if anyone is interested:

https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/smpbriefingmay09.pdf (pdf file)

Of course this isn't anything official from the govt, but I wouldn't be surprised if the extension to 52 weeks is just quietly forgotten about. :(

also --

April – Additional paternity leave
The government intends to introduce additional paternity leave (APL) before the end of this parliament, but no earlier than April 2010. APL will allow fathers and partners of those giving birth or adopting a child to share the maternity or adoption leave and pay if the mother or adopter returns to work early. For further details see LGE's work and families page.

so if we are kind.. :p
our ohs can have a lil bit longer as well!! :D

:happydance: xxx

The latest stuff looks to indicate that Lord Mandelson is trying to avoid the extension by Harriet Harmon is trying to push it through.

I think the argument about the cost to businesses is a bit misleading - the extra 13 weeks would be paid at £123.06 (with tax and NI costs to the company on top) but even large companies can reclaim 92% of the cost. So probably only costing a few hundred pounds extra in total!

this is all getting wayy too complicated :(
cutting to the chase - who do we vote 4 if we want this to happen?! :pxxxx

Hey!

The way it works with me right now is I am entitled to take 52 weeks off maternity but as it works with pay I get the first 8 weeks full pay, the next 18 weeks (thats up to 6 months off) 1/2 pay with SMP so 90% of my wage then the following 13 weeks (up to 9 months) as SMP so £113 per week. if I wanted the final 13 weeks to take me to a year it would be unpaid.

I hope they are bringing in new changes but somehow I wont be holding my breath. But you never know! Fingers crossed!

Emma.xx

I have never really thought it would happen when I saw it, just quietly hoping it would!! We will just have to wait and see x

Hey!

The way it works with me right now is I am entitled to take 52 weeks off maternity but as it works with pay I get the first 8 weeks full pay, the next 18 weeks (thats up to 6 months off) 1/2 pay with SMP so 90% of my wage then the following 13 weeks (up to 9 months) as SMP so £113 per week. if I wanted the final 13 weeks to take me to a year it would be unpaid.

I hope they are bringing in new changes but somehow I wont be holding my breath. But you never know! Fingers crossed!

Emma.xx

That's how it is for me as well.

this is all getting wayy too complicated :(
cutting to the chase - who do we vote 4 if we want this to happen?! :pxxxx

The most maternity/paternity rights have been brought in under Labour, not to mention nursury funding and surestart centres so, if maybe not for this but to protect those, then vote Labour. Many of these are on the tories 10% hitlist if they get in power.

At the end of the day, we are in a global recession. What there was the money to do a few months ago might not be possible right now, but it will be again. I can be certain the tories won't action something like this, unless it's for married mothers over 30. :grr:

That would be great! Thanks for making this thread because I didn't even know this was being thought about lol

The Lib Dems have very generous proposals - 19 months parental leave which can be shared between partners, then up to 20 hours of free childcare/education a week from 18 months of age. No 2-year gap like there is now. Of course, what politicians propose and what they actually do aren't always the same. :D

Not that it matters as we'll probably have a Tory govt this time next year anyway.

Aren't you allowed up to 12 months off now with the additional maternity leave? It's just unpaid I think? 13 months by the time you add on holiday! I don't see how the new proposals are any different, unless you get SMP for longer?

Sorry - very tired and can't read straight :lol:

Aren't you allowed up to 12 months off now with the additional maternity leave? It's just unpaid I think? 13 months by the time you add on holiday! I don't see how the new proposals are any different, unless you get SMP for longer?

Sorry - very tired and can't read straight :lol:

Yep, you can have 12 months at the mo, 9 months paid and 3 months unpaid. The current government were talking about bringing in 12 months paid mat leave, but the date keeps getting put back for when it'll begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->