maternity unit tour?

Scally

Reaction score
Does anybody know when and if u can go for a look around where u plan to have the baby? do u have to ask? or do they arrange?

Mine's arranged through the ante-natal class via the midwife. It's just a day-long class coz I'm in full-time work, and they tell us to bring packed lunch and transport so we can get to the unit in the afternoon.

Mine is arranged through the classes.. although is a Saturday morning!

There's a tour at the end of my final antenatal class, and you can also call the unit near me and ask for a tour after you've reached 36 weeks. The local midwife units let you go anytime - I'm booked in next week to see ours. Find the numbers in your antenatal notes and call them to ask.

my midwife told me to call the hospitals i wanted to look at because i have a choise of two, thing it depends where you live and if you have ante-natal care there.

We dont get a tour round our hospital.

As our midwife said at our antenatal the hospital has such a small ward space and the last thing you want is to hear women in labour or see someone being rushed away for emergency sections....also the reverse that the ladies are in to have their babies just like we will and its a labour ward not a tourist attraction. fair enough. We did however get a very swish video on the labour ward and what to expect....but its years out of date as someone I work with is in the video with his wife and their child is now at school!

I am lucky I have seen the ward a few times with work but I guess if your hospital is better designed etc and has more room its a great thing....bloody new hospitals!

Emma.xx

In Germany, you are expected to find your own hospital for the delivery, so far me and DH have looked around 3 different one around the area we live.

We just have to call the hospital direct and arrange an appt to view the facilities.

We actually went this past monday and will go to another hospital this coming monday for a tour. We just called the hospital and asked them if they offered it. I'm only 19 weeks but I just wanted to make sure and get the hospital choice out of the way, so one less thing to worry about when it comes time.

Ours is done through our MW arranged antenatal classes too and is quite late on :)

We don't get offered a tour either but they have a DVD which you can borrow to see around the unit.

we were shown around during our booking in appointment. hubby was shown where to park and we were shown the labour room and explained what was available for pain relief. i feel quite lucky.

I organised mine through the community midwife office at the local hospital, booked it a number of weeks ago as its on a Saturday and they advised they get prebooked well in advance. It's booked for 9th May when i'll be 29 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->