Maxine

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
I'm curious about what you all think of MY name :) Good and bad!

Would you put this on a baby today?
Does it seem modern or old fashioned?
Do you like the sound of it? Why or why not?
Also, how old do you think I am? Of course I'm here in this forum and TTC my first child, which may give a clue.

Once we have a few honest opinions I'll share my experience of having the name. I'd love to hear what your names are too and how they've treated you!

Be totally honest, I wont be offended! Go!

To me it's quite dated, I only know two Maxine's and they are in their early 50's. Both of them always get shortened to Max. I couldn't imagine it on a baby, I think it's an ok name for an adult, no good or bad opinion of it. My name is Kelly, not particularly fond of my name, but I guess it's ok.

It's a very very old name, like roman, but I do think that lots of names - like maxine, that had a surge of popularity in the 60's & 70's people view as outdated due to the generation they associate with the name ... band yet because they don't know anyone with an older name, or a name is associated with grandparents or great grandparents, name popularity of late and post Victorian era names are back in popularity.
I always say though if you like a name then use it regardless of the popularity.
Xx

I k ow 2 maxine as well. One my age and one my parents age. It certainly not to my taste and I do consider it an out dated name.

I only know of one Maxine in her late 20s. It's an ok name, don't love it nor dislike it. I agree it sounds old fashioned. Mine is Stephanie and it has served me well through the years.

It reminds me of the old, cranky lady from the comic, named Maxine. I think it's quite old fashioned, but not one of the new trendy ones. More like Mildred, Bertha, Francine, Betty, Carole, Dorothy, etc.

I also have a dated name. One that was given to lots of babies in the 70s and early 80s.

Attachments

• Maxine.jpg
    Maxine.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1
Im not a fan either but i think that is because i new someone called maxine who was a total cow! :haha:
She is only in her mid 20's though so i wouldnt have said it was outdated.

Thanks for the replies ladies...

Massively shocked by these responses :haha: Can't believe people think my name is similar to Mildred or Gertrude!

I honestly never knew this was an old-fashioned name. I'm 26 now and have always thought it was young and trendy, maybe more popular in the 80s when I was born, but I never thought for a minute anyone's grandma would be called Maxine! :haha: I wish someone had told me before!

I really love my name and it's served me very well, although I'm now wondering if everyone was thinking it was like Beryl or something and they were too polite to say!

Among friends I am Max or Maxi and in a more formal situation I'm Maxine. I like having the choices.

Thanks for the replies ladies...

Massively shocked by these responses :haha: Can't believe people think my name is similar to Mildred or Gertrude!

I honestly never knew this was an old-fashioned name. I'm 26 now and have always thought it was young and trendy, maybe more popular in the 80s when I was born, but I never thought for a minute anyone's grandma would be called Maxine! :haha: I wish someone had told me before!

I really love my name and it's served me very well, although I'm now wondering if everyone was thinking it was like Beryl or something and they were too polite to say!

Among friends I am Max or Maxi and in a more formal situation I'm Maxine. I like having the choices.

Hmmm - Are you in the US or the UK? There is a government website you can check out to see all the names that were used... just google SSA Baby Names and then you can check the popularity of a name. I LOVE the site!

I just looked at it & discovered that the name Maxine was most commonly given to babies between 1915 - 1930 (it was in the Top 100 during those years). It hasn't been in the Top 800 since 1971. And hasn't been in the Top 1000 names since 1996.

Hmmm - Are you in the US or the UK? There is a government website you can check out to see all the names that were used... just google SSA Baby Names and then you can check the popularity of a name. I LOVE the site!.

Thanks RubyRainbows, wish there was an equivalent UK site.

I'm in the UK and no-one has ever said my name is old-fashioned. A few people have commented on how unusual or pretty or "hipster" it is though! Someone also told me I sounded like a superhero...My surname begins with M, too :)

I don't think it's as old fashioned as that but I do think it's one of those names that you can usually estimate how old someone is by the name.
I am Katie Louise, I'm sure there were about 10 in my year at school alone, I'm 27 xx

I think this could be back in fashion quite soon. But personally I don't like it.

It definitely reminds me of someone in their 50's, but that's because I only personally know one Maxine and she is in her 50's.

I remember growing up, a boy I went to school with, had a baby sister named Maxine, and I thought it was quite cute with the nn Max. I'm quite neutral on it - I neither love it or hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->